Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PWS Shrimp information

Default PWS Shrimp information

Has any one seen or no where to find the final shrimp catch nunbers for 2011. I was wondering what the commercial and personnal use final numbers were.

Commercial guys caught their quota by end of July it was aprox 52,000 lbs(whole shrimp).

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Here's an informative link I like to use. 2011 data not yet reflected...
    http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/sf/sportf...G=area.results
    You can really hone in on very specific areas on this link.

i know season opens in mid April, but is it any good shrimping in May?

No its terrible. I personally wouldn't waste my time dropping pots every weekend trying to fill my freezer. Don't waste your time until at least late August or September.

Quote Originally Posted by patrickL View Post
    No its terrible. I personally wouldn't waste my time dropping pots every weekend trying to fill my freezer. Don't waste your time until at least late August or September.
    Wow, I would totally disagree. Some of my biggest pulls are always in April and May!

Quote Originally Posted by northdan View Post
    Wow, I would totally disagree. Some of my biggest pulls are always in April and May!
    I'm pretty sure u need to read between the lines.

Quote Originally Posted by bkbaker View Post
    I'm pretty sure u need to read between the lines.
    Sometimes my sarcasm gets me into trouble. Glad to see someone picked up on it.

I have to work the opener, but the wife and I will be out there the morning of the 20th and staying until Sunday night. Can't wait. I guess I better get with Steve and pick up a bucket of bait before everyone beats me to it.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    Commercial guys caught their quota by end of July it was aprox 52,000 lbs(whole shrimp).
    I wonder what the sale price was on this shrimp. Seems like the fuel, equipment and labor cost would exceed any reasonable price.
    We never really grow up, we only learn
    how to act in public

Quote Originally Posted by Doug from Anchorage View Post
    I wonder what the sale price was on this shrimp. Seems like the fuel, equipment and labor cost would exceed any reasonable price.
    It's definitely not a high profit margin business. Folks can make a small amount of money on it, but for most they're looking at paying for expenses with maybe enough left over to justify some time on the water.

Brian I think you're right on. Definitely not a real commercial fishery. More like a, I can get more than my share fishery. Ya think????

Quote Originally Posted by whatablast View Post
    Brian I think you're right on. Definitely not a real commercial fishery. More like a, I can get more than my share fishery. Ya think????
    My previous post was perhaps too broad and not very accurate. Your perception may be true for some, but there are a number of people that have figured out a way to make this a profitable fishery - at least two of them are members of this forum. These gentlemen generally fish alone (no crewmember cost), have modest and/or paid-for boats, and know the area so that they get a good return on their bait and time investments. Additionally, some of them take the time and effort to market the shrimp themselves at markets or straight to restaurants so as to get a significantly better price. I was not accurately depicting the fishery in my previous post - what I meant is that it is not easy to make a substantial profit in this fishery without effort and planning. It can be done, though, and is a totally legitimate fishery. People with permits aren't just filling their own freezers. There may be some of that, but I guarantee most of those 50,000+ pounds went to market and contributed to the incomes of fishing families.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    My previous post was perhaps too broad and not very accurate. Your perception may be true for some, but there are a number of people that have figured out a way to make this a profitable fishery - at least two of them are members of this forum. These gentlemen generally fish alone (no crewmember cost), have modest and/or paid-for boats, and know the area so that they get a good return on their bait and time investments. Additionally, some of them take the time and effort to market the shrimp themselves at markets or straight to restaurants so as to get a significantly better price. I was not accurately depicting the fishery in my previous post - what I meant is that it is not easy to make a substantial profit in this fishery without effort and planning. It can be done, though, and is a totally legitimate fishery. People with permits aren't just filling their own freezers. There may be some of that, but I guarantee most of those 50,000+ pounds went to market and contributed to the incomes of fishing families.
    Bravo well said!! and for the record i don't have a single shrimp in my freezer(wah wah wah).

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

We too were forced to eat store-bought shrimp [and snow crab] starting last week.
    13 bucks for 2 clusters of snow crab despite being on sale @ $9.99 lb.
    The shrimp were inexpensive [farm-raised from Thailand] and about as tasty as the price...

I can speak first-handed about the high cost of these fisheries.
    As a first time off-shore boat owner I found it very expensive to shrimp even with only two pots that came with our used boat. I ended up putting far too many pellets [tall canister] for a weekend soak. This amount equated to more than $5 of bait [per pot] alone...with more than half ending up being thrown overboard at the end of our soak.

Going into this season we have all 5 pots and I'll be sure to use the smaller bait pellet canisters.

As for crab, I spent $400 for two [Gear Shed] 4-foot pots and baiting accessories. I only soaked pots one weekend when the Emergency Order hit and was unable to go back to Homer for my second/final trip before winterization.

I wouldn't trade these experiences for anything though and anxiously look forward to continuing to learn the ropes and tricks of these trades.

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    Bravo well said!! and for the record i don't have a single shrimp in my freezer(wah wah wah).

I just hope there IS a crab opening this year...
    '04 Hewescraft 24' Searunner
    200hp Honda 4stroke
    + multiple other 'toys'...

Brian is right there where several people that did make good money shrimping and stayed at it until the season ended. It was a lot of hard work and if it was not for Wilson being on board I do not think I could of made it.

Yea but Steve, Question is will you be at the boat show and will you have pots and bait?
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

Quote Originally Posted by AKluvr95 View Post
    I can speak first-handed about the high cost of these fisheries.
    As a first time off-shore boat owner I found it very expensive to shrimp even with only two pots that came with our used boat. I ended up putting far too many pellets [tall canister] for a weekend soak. This amount equated to more than $5 of bait [per pot] alone...with more than half ending up being thrown overboard at the end of our soak.
    One way to save money on bait is to use fish carcasses, heads, or whole pink salmon (which can legally be used as bait in PWS). Suspend a carcass off the bottom and away from the sides of your pot. They're very, very effective. Pellets have their place, but why toss a filleted carcass overboard when it can be used to catch shrimp?

Brian, We do use carcasses [normally a combo salmon and cod] in our pots along with pellets. Our pots have the built in compartment in the center. All the more reason for us to use less pellets this season! I did pick up 2 [all that was in stock] of the smaller pellet canisters @ Sportsman's when they had their recent Military Appreciation Day [20% off] sale. Also bought an 11 pound bucket of Alaska Bait Co. Shrimp Pellets for $36. So hoping for decent numbers of shrimp per pot this season while using less pellets.
    On another note: I see lots of AOD members live in Eagle River. Are there any get-togethers in the off season? Say maybe ER Ale House upstairs...

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    One way to save money on bait is to use fish carcasses, heads, or whole pink salmon (which can legally be used as bait in PWS). Suspend a carcass off the bottom and away from the sides of your pot. They're very, very effective. Pellets have their place, but why toss a filleted carcass overboard when it can be used to catch shrimp?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast