Thread: July R&R Recommendations

Default July R&R Recommendations

So here's the deal, I am currently deployed to Afghanistan and will be taking my R&R leave in July. The current plan is to rent an RV for a week and head down south on July 2nd. I am looking to do some Kasilof dipnetting on the 2nd and a Ninilchik combo charter (hopefully) on the 3rd with J&J Smart Charters the next day (the 4th of July) start heading towards Denali. Does anyone have any suggestions, tips, or anything else that I can pack in around that time frame? I have minimal time to do maximum fishing and sightseeing! Any info would be awesome!

If you want to stretch you legs through some nice country and mix in a little grayling fishing, I'd hike in to Crescent Lake from the Cooper Landing side. Just a dandy hike that's not too steep, good enough that you'd enjoy it even if you didn't wet a line.

I am not opposed to a hike, but how would it be with a little one? My wife and I both like hiking but by that time we will have a 20 month old baby. We do have one of those hiking baby carrier backpack things to put him in. She won't be doing any of the fishing but she is up for adventurous stuff as long as we can include the baby.

Cresent lake hike with a 20th month old will be tough. Fuller lake is another for one grayling, it's an uphill hike but only 2 miles or so if I remember correctly. If you are on Salerno I could give you a few more places to try out.

You look very familiar, are you familiar with the TF Spartan Automations shop? HAHA I was actually going to talk to you too, this is Elwood.

That's funny!!! Come see me.

I will definitely talk to you before I leave. I have the RV booked 1-9 July, Charter out of Deep Creek the 3rd, staying in Denali the 6-7. Everything in between is still up in the air. I would like to hit some spots all along that route for fishing, hiking, sight seeing, and anything else. Is there anywhere else along that stretch open for dipnetting besides Kasilof? It would also be nice to fill the freezer for the family before coming back out here. Then they can stop spending my money on food and eat fish!!!

You might be to early for the dipnetting.

Driving to Fairbanks after (or before) Denali to go to Chena Hot Springs is something we have enjoyed in the past. I have been told there is some grayling fishing in the Chena River and we have done some short hikes in the area. It is about a three hour drive from Denali (one way) so I don't know if you would want to go that far.

Yeah I was wondering about the time frame for dipnetting. I know last summer Kasilof opened up July 1. It was slow, but it was my first time so it was still fun.

I would love to see the hot springs but we are already packing alot in for a 7 day RV trip and won't be able to include that in this trip. That you for the recommendation though, I hope to go see those in the near future!

Are you planning to go into Denali NP? If so, unless you already know about all the restrictions and what a zoo it can be, especially that time of year with a cajillion tourists, you better do some online reading. You have to take one of their buses into the park, you cannot drive in, and unless you have a reservation made in or close to the park way ahead of time, you won't find a place to camp just showing up. I think the average viewing of the actual Mountain is about 1 out of 5 days at best...however, it is a beautiful and memorable place if you see some big wildlife along with the scenery that is pretty nice even if the Mountain is in the clouds!

We are planning on going in the park. My wife has already made reservations at Savage River Campground. I hear it is pretty nice. Do you know anything about those grounds? She is also working the reservations for the shuttle buses. I was also given some tips on King Salmon fishing areas on the way to Denali. This sounds like it's going to be a fun trip and I am really looking forward to it!