Thread: Does all this cold weather help the quality of the fur

Default Does all this cold weather help the quality of the fur

Hey guys , stupid question, but does all this cold weather seem to affect the quality of the fur? What about all this snow? I wish I had more time to get out to learn more. I only get out a few times a year and call a few sets. I use my bow because I can't decide on a good hunting caliber. The bow works great, but they got to get close! All I got is a .22 and the next rifle is a 300 rum. Lots of shotguns though......
    Anyway back to original question. What effects quality of fur?

I've heard different things, but all I know for sure is that the fur is PERFECT right now...at least where I'm at.

Grab that .22 and go for head shots. I think you're underpowered with it, but it's better than the 300 (that's insane). No sure where you're at, but it's been pretty good for calling lately.

i'll grab the .22, whats the best ammo for fox, and critters about that size?

Can't go wrong with CCI Mini-Mags. If you wanta little more "oomf" get a box of CCI Velocitors.

I honestly don't think you are under powered with a .22 on fox, lynx, wolverine or even yotes within 100yrds and it's a lot more fur-friendly than anything more powerful. My buds and I have taken a boatload of foxes out here on the AKPEN and I don't recall any that have gotten away with a solid hit from a .22.

Yeah fur is about as good as it's ever going to get right now.
    Now what ?

Fur primeness is controlled by the amount of daylight, not the outside temps. This is why fur gets prime at the same time year after year.

hank, thanks very much for that bit of knowledge!! I never knew that! I just know how my dog reacts! hes a **** fur ball in the winter, never was that way when I had him down south. Very cool! learn something everyday!