Thread: 350RM: To full length re-size or not

Default 350RM: To full length re-size or not

Wondering what the common feeling is on partial neck resizing with a full length resizing dies.
    For my 350 RM, Id' like to eke some extra life out of the brass by just neck re-sizing, and wonder if the full length dies give the neck enough holding power, or should I spring for a neck resizing die for it.
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

On all belted cases I always size as close to the base of the neck as I can without kissing the shoulder. I've had issues here and there with shoulder setback and decreased case life when head spacing on the belt. Might not be an issue at all with your particular rifle, but that's what it boils down to: the individual rifle.

One thing on holding bullets securely. I've only experienced it in a couple of high recoiling rifles, and that was always from tip battering at the bottom of the magazine, which ended up shoving bullets down into the case. Two fixes. Or three actually. One is a good crimp. Two is to roll your own cannelure in bullets that don't have one, then crimp into that. And three is to lightly polish away some of the expander ball for the sizing die to very slightly reduce its diameter. This results in a tighter grip on a bullet, but might require you to add more chamfer to the inside of the case mouth than you're accustomed to. I sure wouldn't futz around with any of those until you know you have a problem with bullet movement..

I do the partial size thing on most of my bottle neck cases including my 350Rem. However my idea of partial sizing is to size within about .020 of hitting the shoulder. This sizes plenty of the neck for bullet tension. This does size the body of the case some as well as most of the neck. Cases usually fail in one of two places. Either the neck splits or you get case head separation. Neck sizing or partial FL sizing reduces head separation. Annealing the neck/shoulder reduces the split necks. So yes, partial sizing will help case life and have enough bullet tension but you should anneal the necks as well to get as much life as you can from your brass. I hear you on the brass life as the 350Rem isn't the most popular round.

I have only neck resized my .338WM rounds since I have owned it without issue. Brownbear offers some good tidbits as well and I can confirm magazine effect and tip deformation, though I have never had a bullet set back in the magazine to my knowledge.

I also have had the same experience with the brass as rbuck describes, and no complaints from me for the life expectancy of the brass.

Give it a go, your rifle may appreciate it.

As long as the brass is being used in the same gun, neck only should work fine.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

It sounds like all good answers so far. I hope I don't have a bad one.

I only FL sized for my 338 Mag. when I had it, with no problems.

I only Neck Size my 7 Mag. cases with no problems. If I FL size my 7mm Rem. Mag. I hafta do it all the way, and then some.

Iíve never had a problem with brass life. I FL size pretty much everything, adjusting the sizing die pretty much like the instructions say.

I think itís like BB says. ďMight not be an issue at all with your particular rifle, but that's what it boils down to: the individual rifle.Ē

Were I you, Iíd just FL size the 350, and donít worry bout it. (Unless you have problems.) Then, probably, you'll be able to use the cases as long as you want too, anyway.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Thanks gents, lots of good info as always.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

Since my 350 rm is a hunting gun, I fl size (die set up to the shoulder not the belt) Yeah, I might get longer case life from neck sizing, but my 350 isn't a gun I shoot alot, so I can live with shorter brass life. But one thing I won't tollerate is ammo that is finicky to feed.

I honestly haven't seen the accuracy benefits others claim for neck sized brass. I'm sure it helps in some cases, but after trying fl, partial sized and neck, I generally fl size everything.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    Since my 350 rm is a hunting gun, I fl size (die set up to the shoulder not the belt) Yeah, I might get longer case life from neck sizing, but my 350 isn't a gun I shoot alot, so I can live with shorter brass life. But one thing I won't tollerate is ammo that is finicky to feed.

I honestly haven't seen the accuracy benefits others claim for neck sized brass. I'm sure it helps in some cases, but after trying fl, partial sized and neck, I generally fl size everything.
    What rifle do you have chambered for the 350? Rem, Ruger?
    I just love my 673. Fantastic bush rifle.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

Ruger. I did notice that accuracy with new brass isn't as good as when the brass has been once fired in the rifle, even with an fl sizing. I suppose I should measure new brass to compare it to once fired and sized.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.