Thread: Around Soldotna

Default Around Soldotna

Anyone want to give up an area that 2 guys could camp around the Soldotna area for free?
    I been told to find a place within the Kenai refuge as an option? Just not really aware of a good spot. Have been suggested around Tustumena Lake or gravel pits by the airport. Could always crash in Fred Meyers parking lot but that would not be much fun.
    Coming from Colorado and spend time every year somewhere in this plentiful state but never have camped.

I'm not sure there are any places where you can legally camp for free, unless you're talking back country pack in camping. You'd be on somebody's private property, or state, federal or borough land. There are many many campgrounds that charge a small fee for the facilities you'll be wanting to use such as depositing your waste (of all kinds), water, maybe a firepit or what have you. Just like almost anywhere else, no such thing as a free lunch, but as you allude, it's still probably a pretty good deal!!

Actually, the wildlife refuge land is generally fine for tent camping. State parks has lots of established spots and the user fees for camping are pretty small, especially considering the site improvements you get to take advantage of.

Tusty is a bit out of the way unless you'll be recreating down there anyway. I'd write off the airport gravel pit idea right now.

What time of year and what is going to be your primary activity while visiting? That might help narrow down the choices.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Opposite of the turn-off on Kalifornski beach road if you drive out there a little, there is a great big gravel area on the left that the owner was letting people camp for free. He was trying to sell it to the city for camping but they balked so now he was just letting people camp to spite the city. At least it was that way three years ago but something could have changed. Any locals know the current scoop?
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

The gravel pit next to the Airport in Soldotna is CLOSED to all camping. In fact there is now a paved road running through it.
    The city finally got some funds from homeland security or someone like that to move the road farther from the airport and runway.
    I suggest you find a good campground and pay the fees.
    Not to be rude but if you can afford to visit alaska why not just pay for a campsite? I Think centennial in Soldotna is only like $17 a night and you have great river access.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Maybe I should of mentioned, that I would be there July 17 thur the 28th. Have a mini van rented and picking up some camping supplies in Sterling. With all they craziness of Red season, figured I would not be able to find a camping spot for a tent. All the RV's will be taking them up. Don't really mind paying, just figured finding a spot would be much more difficult.

You could always pay some guy in Anchorage to drop a folding chair in one of the camping spots at Centennial for you. That's what they do... send someone down the week before to "reserve" a camping spot for them the next week. And that's the reason there are no camping spots available in Soldotna at the end of July. Every one of them has a lawn chair in it.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Give Max a call at Alaska Canoe and Campground. He has tent sites for $13 per tent, and you get to use the bathrooms, fire pits and tables. Showers are $3 per person. He's a great guy to work with and his place is nice, and centrally-located. I believe he does advance reservations, so you better move quickly. Max is a wealth of information on fishing opportunities in that area as well.

Free, road-accessible camping on the Kenai Peninsula is getting harder to come by, due to the hordes of fishermen down there all summer.

Regards,

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Thanks that's who i'm getting my supplies from maybe that will work.