Thread: Best month for Kodiak goats?

Default Best month for Kodiak goats?

Here's a question for those of you who have hunted goats on Kodiak. Which month do you recommend for a goat hunt? Don't particularly care if the coat is a bit longer or shorter. Prefer to get dropped off on an alpine lake. Thinking about September. Thnaks.

Well if the coat is no concern then go in September, should have no problem getting into the high alpine lakes, I drew the Zachar bay tag some years ago and elected to go in October and when I tried to fly into Windy lake it was starting to freeze up so had to hike in from the salt, aside from bustin' through alot of alder......saw a good number of bears and deer too.

ANYTIME...just hope you hit the weather window right!!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Haven't hunted kodiak but I know the considerations are probably the same as down here in SE. I like September because you have more daylight to work with. October can be a nice transition time bringing them off the crags, but the same thing bringing them down (snow), can make life miserable. Add in the variables of lakes freezing and general weather nastiness making flying difficult, earlier is probably better.

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    ANYTIME...just hope you hit the weather window right!!
    This sums it up in my limited experience. We had great weather in Oct though that isn't necessarily the norm. I would rather hunt late as the hair is the trophy for me.

I've hunted goats on Kodiak twice. Once we went for the opener, and once we went in Oct to have better hair, because like LuJon, the hair is the trophy to me. During our Oct hunt we sucked our thumb a lot and wondered if we were going to get out alive. (maybe not quite that bad, but definitely not a good experience) The wind broke and ripped our tents and we had to stay and extra 3 days due to weather. We were there for 9 days total, several of them laying in our tent. We did get one goat and could have got 2 but I opted out of mine due to time of day, distance from camp, and that we already had one goat down. It had a fabulous coat. We also shot 1 deer and saw several bears. On our Aug 20 hunt. we got 2 goats. My goat wasn't haired up too bad, but nothing like an Oct goat. My buddies goat was not haired up well. We saw tons of deer and a couple bears. If I had to choose again, I'd go in mid Sept. Hopefully a compromise in weather (if that ever exists on Kodiak) and also a better coat on the goat. I hunted the same place both times. It was a draw hunt then, now it's a registration hunt. I thought it was a great area and would reccomend it to anyone. If you'd like more info, give me a call, I'll tell you all I can. Scott 907-803-1888

We have gone several times in mid September. One trip we were dropped on a lake but on another trip the winds were blowing the wrong way and Seahawk Air couldn't drop us on a lake. We ended up going up from the salt water and getting a goat. If you don't care about the coat then go in August. I think mid September is a good compromise that gives you the best chance at decent weather, longer hair, and longer days.

Is a November combo hunt for deer and goats out of the question? I don't have a choice this year and can't make it until Nov. Would I be better off to just stick with a deer hunt?

In my opinion, November is when it gets tough, still huntable for Goats, tho

Depending on the very unpredictable snowload for the year, and it will be windy,.... Still would keep it the plan and they might be driven a little lower out of the crags

as to the OP's question, probably mid Sept - 3rd week of Oct would be best for thinner underbrush, still reasonable weather, etc.

Keep in mind, as far as travel weather goes, there is a Substantial increase in windy, chaotic weather following the Fall Equinox, Sept. 21st or so
    Really begins a different level of unpredictability
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

I'll second what Kodiakrain said, and anyone who came to Kodiak this fall will testify to how unforgiving Mother Nature can be. I'm not saying you can't hunt later because the weather does provide windows of opportunity. However, if you choose to come over later, then you also better be prepared for the possibility of either getting stuck in Kodiak city (cutting your hunt shorter) or getting stuck in the field longer (which will likely mean you're in your tent holding the sides up).

I love Kodiak. That's why I choose to live here. But you have to be prepared and ready to have your plans change.

I would recommend mid-Sept. You can hunt deer then too, but at that time of year, they'll likely have left the alpine meadows and be in the alders. Too early for them to be much lower unless they're stretching their legs.

Have hunted goats numerous times on Kodiak & if goat was my main focus I would go the last week in Sep. The lakes are still open, the snow is getting ready to fly & will dust the tops towards the tail end of the trip. Goats are alot easier to spot before the Mtns. are covered in snow as well. Plus you don't have to worry about ice & snow as much on the rocks, if at all. Then the bugs are about to check out, so not as bad. You also have a descent amount of daylight to work with as compared to a later hunt. I also have had fewer weathered in or out days during that time than later in the year.

I personally go in Nov. just because of the amount of $money$ I am spending to fly to South end open goat registration. I rather have the deer all rutted up, crab pots out, duck decoys on the beach, leaves off the alders, fishing rod in hand, & no bugs. But my focus is more towards just having a good time & a Billy is just a bonus. But it is hard to beat a Mid Nov. coat on a big Billy.

Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar

I'm with Kodiak Rain, coats are perfect by the first week of Nov.
    Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
    www.kodiakcombos.com

I wrote up a story of a Goat hunt a while back, figured you might enjoy the weather factors and pics included

It was tagged on the Nov. 7th if I remember correctly, and was a drier than normal year,
    notice the lack of snow, but on the north facing slopes the "ice-on-rocks" factor really demanded your attention
    and don't miss the references to the wind Constantly Shifting and Really Ripping throughout the trip

For myself though, I'd go in November again for sure, for the thick coat this one had, Absolutely Luxurious
    it helps that I have my own boat to live on tho, the nights are Long that late in fall,

would be tougher to endure in a tent by quite a ways

Here it is :
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...rrrr?highlight=
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !