Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Bulk Etec oil?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    161

    Default Bulk Etec oil?

    Where can you purchase ETEC oil? That will give you a discount for buying bulk? Either drum or pallet of Etec oil.

    Thanks for the respones.

  2. #2
    Member Bullelkklr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage Alaska
    Posts
    4,835

    Default

    Try AK mining and diving - I am not sure on the Etec oil, but they stock bulk refillable oil for sno-go and synthetic boat oils - they sell the etec so that might be a good try.

  3. #3
    Sponsor potbuilder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Palmer
    Posts
    4,229

    Default

    Try Inlet Petroleum in anchorage they have all kinds of oils and i'd bet they can match up the etec oil with something just as good or better. They also handle WIX filters and Wix makes filters for just about everything out there.

    Alaska Shrimp Pots

    Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

  4. #4
    Premium Member kasilofchrisn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Central Kenai Peninsula
    Posts
    4,886

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    Try Inlet Petroleum in anchorage they have all kinds of oils and i'd bet they can match up the etec oil with something just as good or better. They also handle WIX filters and Wix makes filters for just about everything out there.
    Steve I just read an article on the Etec oil. It is a very special formula with thousands of hours in testing involved in it's development.
    It also cost over 3 million to develop. The Etec is such a revolutionary engine it requires it's own oil.
    What BRP engineers found out is that while the engine will run fine on a lot of different oils to get the most longevity out of it you need to run Etec oil.
    So If I owned an Etec I would definetly stick to Etec oil if I wanted my motor to last.
    Any Skidoo shop should be able to order you a drum. They always stock it that way to fill bulk jugs for customers.
    I recommend you try Alaska mining and diving. They have always treated me well.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

    "Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

  5. #5
    Sponsor potbuilder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Palmer
    Posts
    4,229

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    Steve I just read an article on the Etec oil. It is a very special formula with thousands of hours in testing involved in it's development.
    It also cost over 3 million to develop. The Etec is such a revolutionary engine it requires it's own oil.
    What BRP engineers found out is that while the engine will run fine on a lot of different oils to get the most longevity out of it you need to run Etec oil.
    So If I owned an Etec I would definetly stick to Etec oil if I wanted my motor to last.
    Any Skidoo shop should be able to order you a drum. They always stock it that way to fill bulk jugs for customers.
    I recommend you try Alaska mining and diving. They have always treated me well.
    My only experience with 'special oils" has been with hydraulic steering oils the steering manual in the old boat stated "only use our special formula oil" well i took the jug over to IPC they looked at it and said here this is the same stuff but has a ingredient to make it flow better, i bought a 5gal pail for less than the steering outfit wanted for a gallon! To make a short story more boring it was the best steering oil i ever used.

    Alaska Shrimp Pots

    Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

  6. #6
    Member pacific23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Whitesboro, Texas
    Posts
    534

    Default

    Yep everything about an ETEC is special ... NO air in lines , No oil other than what is recommended, What grade to use in cold weather [ so it flows ] , index the plugs to line up with injectors and more....
    I'll stick with my Honda, good luck with your Etec, to the OP , you might want to find a etec forum to stay up on your motor and maintenance.

    Your mileage may very.

  7. #7
    Member Bullelkklr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage Alaska
    Posts
    4,835

    Default

    Hmm, I know a marina mechanic in Montana on Fort Peck who has been servicing the fish and games boats on that lake (it is pretty big) and he hasn't had any troubles with the etecs they run. Doesn't the etec have a 3 year no maintenance needed plan?

  8. #8
    Member HuntKodiak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Kodiak
    Posts
    684

    Default

    I've been happy with AK M&D prices, but my perspective is corrupt because the local source on Kodiak wants almost $20 more per gallon than I pay at AK M&D. So, I buy a case or two in Anchorage when either a friend or I are coming back to Kodiak on the ferry.

    If you own an Etec, recommend visiting the following site, http://www.etecownersgroup.com/ because there's a lot of good info available there for reading, and if you have a question, the folks over there have always been helpful.

    Pacific23, I know you're not trying to pick a fight. If so, shame on you.

  9. #9
    Premium Member kasilofchrisn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Central Kenai Peninsula
    Posts
    4,886

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    Hmm, I know a marina mechanic in Montana on Fort Peck who has been servicing the fish and games boats on that lake (it is pretty big) and he hasn't had any troubles with the etecs they run. Doesn't the etec have a 3 year no maintenance needed plan?
    I don't currently own one but that is what all the advertising and literature say.
    NO maintenance for the first three years.
    Personally I really like the concept though. Two stroke weighjt and performance yet has the emissions and mileage of a 4 stroke.
    Here is a cool video demonstrating the Etec.

    http://youtu.be/_-7I00cZUE0
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

    "Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

  10. #10
    Member breausaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    830

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    I don't currently own one but that is what all the advertising and literature say.
    NO maintenance for the first three years.
    Personally I really like the concept though. Two stroke weighjt and performance yet has the emissions and mileage of a 4 stroke.
    Here is a cool video demonstrating the Etec.

    http://youtu.be/_-7I00cZUE0
    All this video shows is the Etec has more power on the hole shot. Obviously it was staged.
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.


  11. #11
    Member HuntKodiak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Kodiak
    Posts
    684

    Default

    And that Yamaha's don't run well under water.

    I've seen this tug of war before, and once the Etec got the upper hand, I don't know why they continued and swamped the other boat. Dynamic video I guess.

  12. #12

    Default

    As Pot Builder suggests any TCW3 rated oil will work in an ETec with the EMM set at that setting. However to use the XD-100 setting it is necessary to use BRPs XD-100 oil to not void warranty. I imagine it would be fine with any good quality synthetic oil, but why take the chance with a very expensive engine over trying to save a few bucks in oil?

    There are two places to buy XD-100. Try http://www.domo-online.com/evinrudexd100. It will cost about $700 to have a 55 gallon drum shipped up here bringing the cost to about $38 per gallon. However, domo's prices do vary and I've seen the cost as low as $31 per gal including shipping. The other source is your friendly neiborhood Evinrude dealer, who in our case isn't always that friendly. They were charging $39 per gallon to fill empty XD-100 jugs last year with the coupon found in their tide tables.

    If /when domo drops their prices I would be interested in splitting a drum with someone as it would take me about 4 to 5 seasons to burn 55 gallons. Drop me a PM if so.

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by needcoffee View Post
    Where can you purchase ETEC oil? That will give you a discount for buying bulk? Either drum or pallet of Etec oil.

    Thanks for the respones.
    I've got about 10 or 12 gallons of xd-100 that I will make you a good deal on.

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MischiefManaged View Post
    As Pot Builder suggests any TCW3 rated oil will work in an ETec with the EMM set at that setting. However to use the XD-100 setting it is necessary to use BRPs XD-100 oil to not void warranty. I imagine it would be fine with any good quality synthetic oil, but why take the chance with a very expensive engine over trying to save a few bucks in oil?

    There are two places to buy XD-100. Try http://www.domo-online.com/evinrudexd100. It will cost about $700 to have a 55 gallon drum shipped up here bringing the cost to about $38 per gallon. However, domo's prices do vary and I've seen the cost as low as $31 per gal including shipping. The other source is your friendly neiborhood Evinrude dealer, who in our case isn't always that friendly. They were charging $39 per gallon to fill empty XD-100 jugs last year with the coupon found in their tide tables.

    If /when domo drops their prices I would be interested in splitting a drum with someone as it would take me about 4 to 5 seasons to burn 55 gallons. Drop me a PM if so.
    Correction - Alaska Express will ship a 55 gallon drum of oil from domo-online's Punta Gorda shop to Anchorage for $381.20, resulting in ~$33/gallon. They are currently out of stock but should have more in another month or so.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •