Thread: Remington customer service??

Default Remington customer service??

My kids went together and bought for me a new Remington model 7 Predator in 22-250 for Christmas. Much to my dismay I just boxed it up and sent it back to the factory.

They say that they test fire their guns before they leave the plant but I seriously question that. The bolt on my new gun is badly flawed. The race or groove that is cut for the purpose of holding the extractor ring appears to be too shallow and most of the ring is protruding into the area where the base of the cartridge sits. The first round that I chambered made think that my reloads were not fully sized. However I had a few factory rounds with me and they were the same. It took excessive forward pressure on the bolt while pushing the handle down to get the bolt to close on the round. All ejected ammo whether fired or not show brass shaved off around the base of the cartridge and though the gun has only fired a few rounds the bolt face has taken on more brass than guns that have had thousands of rounds through them.

My first call to Remington resulted in the customer service agent taking my email address and telling me that they would email detailed instructions along with a UPS sticker to ship the gun back to New York. A couple days later and another phone call to customer service and I had what I needed to return ship the gun.

Customer service tells me that I should have my gun back in two to three weeks. I'm holding my breath.

Have any of you dealt with Remington customer service and if so how were you treated and more importantly did you get satisfactory work on your gun?

I have a bad feeling that they are just going to remove the excess metal with a dremel tool or such rather than making it fit correctly.

This will be the third Remington in a row that I have acquired new that came with a flaw. The other two being a 597 with a funky looking Tallo stock that wouldn't shoot 10 rounds into a pie plate at 50 yards and an 1187 that liked to let 2 or three rounds off with one pull of the trigger. The model 7 was a gift so I am going to endure being under the mercy of Remington's repair shop. The other two guns went back to the retailer that sold them to me.

Buy American used to cary some clout! However I have not seen that with much stuff pertaining to shooting sports and it's a shame!

I had one of the early 1100s that cracked the receiver behind the operating handle cutout back of the ejection port. This was a well known design flaw and they made the later receivers with a long cut behind the cutout. Even so Remington charged me a hefty sum for a new receiver when I sent it back to the factory; IMO they should have replaced it for free or at minimum charge.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    This will be the third Remington in a row that I have acquired new that came with a flaw.
    I know three shops that have stopped selling Remingtons and one that has stopped with Marlin over the way they're being treated as dealers. Hopefully the company is smart enough not to treat customers the same way.

Let us know what transpires.

I know this can't be the reason for the current customer service, but it is a trend: the new CEO of Remington is Bob Nardelli. IMHO, he is the reason Home Depot got hammered by Lowes - Home Depot customer service nosedived during his tenure. I don't see his appointment as good news for Remington.

http://www.thestreet.com/story/10495...fail-next.html

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/...remington-ceo/

I really thought about just sending the gun to gunbugs and letting him fix it. However since it's brand new I figure Remington needed to fix it.

What worries me is that I'm afraid the bolt is unrepairable and if needs a new bolt then the head space comes into play........I can see this snowballing!

The snowball would look best in Remington's lap.

A friend of mine sent one back earlier this week to Remington. Not sure what caliber it was but he told me every time you shoot it you had to tap the bolt to get it to come back. He said the neck on the shot brass had a buldge on one side. This was with factory loaded shells in two different brands. They have been one of my favorite guns for several years, I hope they make it right and continue to sell quality firearms.

I am afraid that with the new CEO at Remington, and his proven poor performance at Home Depot, the only good Remington will be an old Remington.

Same goes for Marlin too.
    NRA Life Member since 1974

I refuse to buy Remington because of there customer service and it seems that there quality has gone down hill. I did buy the boy a 870 for Xmas since I figured they couldn't screw up something that simple but it doesn't rack shells as good as the old ones used to. I don't know how such a good company could just throw themselves down the drain as fast as they have. Lets not forget how they handled the 597 .17hmr.

Quote Originally Posted by alaskabliss View Post
    . I don't know how such a good company could just throw themselves down the drain as fast as they have.
    Profits, and more importantly, extremely high compensation for upper management.
    NRA Life Member since 1974

Quote Originally Posted by boliep View Post
    ...extremely high compensation for upper management.
    Gotta get them into the high tax brackets or they just won't stick around.