Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Be Nice to Your Trail Groomer, don't spin your track

Wasilla, behind 3 Bears on the Palmer Wasilla Hwy

Default Be Nice to Your Trail Groomer, don't spin your track

For all of us guys riding go fast machines (and I am part of that group at times) please do not spin your track in the middle of the trail, especially a groomed trail. Trails are groomed so that people moving from on place to another, especially those pulling heavy freight sleds, can do so comfortably and quickly with a minimum of body and equipment damage. Spinning your track starts a process that ends up with moguls in the trail and given the natural tendency for a trail to get rough in the first place from normal terrain features and drifting snow, the process doesn't need any help. After all, if trails stayed naturally smooth we wouldn't have to groom them, right?

So again, please do not spin your track in the trail. This also means don't try to jump or wheelie off every little bump in the trail, that just makes the bumps bigger and bigger, moguls again. We have the whole state to wheelie and jump and spin our tracks, so lets try to keep it off the trail.

Thank you and have a great day, what a winter. powder is fantastic.

Thanks for saying what really shouldnt have to be said, but sometimes needs to be!!!

"Throttle twitch" on the trail has caused me a lot of nights with a sore back and neck!!! LOL

Another thing that needs to be said is Don't play the game of who can knock down the most trail markers.It is very frustrating for a trail groomer to find markers already down on their return trip on a trail. Thanks bmunsell for bringing this subject up.

100% agree with this thread. I cannot stand riding on moguled out trails, but sometimes it's the only options. Would love for people to stop blipping the throttle on every hill and bump and just use a little throttle control already.
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bend View Post
    Another thing that needs to be said is Don't play the game of who can knock down the most trail markers.It is very frustrating for a trail groomer to find markers already down on their return trip on a trail. Thanks bmunsell for bringing this subject up.
    That aside, it is very discouraging to try to travel back to town in a white out and some irresponsible jerk has knocked down the trail markers.

Hope ya have better luck than I do on the gas line to home! It seems like there is a never ending line of people or orangatans as we call em running back and forth!

Smile Trails!

Nice to see a few that care!!!
    Take Care of You Trails!!!!
    Trail Boss
    Willow Trail Committe
    ALASKA'S Winter Park Cabins
    To boldly make trail where no man has gone before!!!

Throttle twitching, throttle blipping, track spinning, mogul humping ... they are all forms of snowmobile masturbation.

And here I tried to start this thread on such a positive note

You know bmu has brought up one of my pet pives.

If you want to rev your engines do it in the deep snow, not on the trail, man some of those mogals are hard on the people that built the trail.

You guys are so spoiled. Next you'll be passing more laws to increase the taxes on the trails so you can put up stop lights and other things for dumb people.

Thank God I live where the only trail is the one I make as my track imprints the snow.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Quote Originally Posted by Nitroman View Post
    You guys are so spoiled. Next you'll be passing more laws to increase the taxes on the trails so you can put up stop lights and other things for dumb people.

Thank God I live where the only trail is the one I make as my track imprints the snow.
    Count yourself as one of the lucky ones the trails around Anchorage get beat to crap and take their toll on you after a hard days riding. I try and use them as little as possible but sometimes you get stuck on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Trail Boss View Post
    Nice to see a few that care!!!
    Take Care of You Trails!!!!
    are you the guy that was grooming a trail along the ice road on big lake? cause that machine was epic.
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

I agree lets keep the trails we do have in good shape.
    Another important thing is to not follow the groomer. Groomed trails need time to set up and riding directly behind the groomer can damage a good groomong job and allow the trail to get destroyed a lot faster.
    When I lived in MN I worked for the DNR and helped in trail building and maintenance.There were @ 460 miles of state maintained trails we were responsible for in our district not including trails the private clubs maintained.
    We had trails that would see 5,000 machines on a busy weekend according to our digital trail counters.
    They would be groomed on friday and then a guy would come in at midnight saturday and groom again so they were rideable again on sunday.
    In populate dareas you need groomed trails to ride from the sheer numbers of riders using them and they are good portals to other backcountry areas.
    It is nice to see our registration dollars(as well as volunteer efforts) being put to good use for those of us who enjoy riding groomed trails.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Smile Willow

I groom in Willow and use snowmachines with drags.
    We conneck with Big Lake via SVWT Big Swamp Trail.
    This is a good thread. Keep your comments comeing!
    Trail Boss
    Willow Trail Committe
    ALASKA'S Winter Park Cabins
    To boldly make trail where no man has gone before!!!

I was using the x-over trail last week following my neighbors track that he had made by pulling in a large otter sled. I was hauling a large load of insulation and building materials. The towing was going great till I got about 1/2 way there and met two guys riding Polaris Pro's coming at me and obviously not paying attention. The guy in the lead came close to meeting me head-on as he locked up the track and slid past me by jumping off the trail. He was very concerned for his partner who was also doing the same.
    I stood up and waited for his partner to pass. From there on the trail was horrible! Towing on a torn up trail reaaly sucks.
    When I ran mtn. sleds, the last thing I wanted was to run a trail, I was always on the side running in the deep stuff. Wish more guys would do the same.
    Appreciate you starting this thread to raise awareness for those who do not understand what they are doing.
    Thanks for all your hard work Trail Boss!!
    BK

I guess I will keep my comments to my self..............
    Tim

It's fairly easy to take care of a smooth trail but once it gets whooped up even a little those of us on mountain sleds quickly take it from bad to worse. I think it is mostly the mechanics of long tracks with big paddles. I try and find a soft shoulder to ride on when possible but some times you are just stuck in the gut of it and by the time 20-30 mountain sleds go through those sections are beat to heck. Another big issue is we HAVE to induce track spin in order to get snow on our coolers or risk burning down some awful spendy equipment. Scratchers work great on fast sections but they aren't worth much on slow whooped up trails. In p-ville and other areas when possible I will just ride the open swamps as much as I can looking for virgin snow rather than get beat to death and force my sled to run hot.

Quote Originally Posted by mit View Post
    I guess I will keep my comments to my self..............
    Why? If you dont agree lets here it!

Talking

The only reason I brought the subject up was to help people be aware of the challenges involved in grooming trails and keeping them halfway smooth. No matter what you ride or your style of riding sooner or later you're going to end up on a trail so being aware can't hurt to much. When I first came to Alaska and started snowmaching I never thought about spinning my track or jumping bumps in the trail, it was fun and I wasn't a good enough rider to get to far off the trail anyway. It wasn't until I started hauling freight a little and helping groom trails that I started to see what a pain it was to deal with the resulting trail damage. So this thread is for the people who never intended to tear up trails, but are just out having fun in the great outdoors of Alaska.

The argument about whether we need trails or not and about grooming or not seems kinda, what can I say, short sighted. Would anyone argue that we don't need roads because we could all drive Argos and tracked rigs or just fly an airplane? Whatever, I think we need more and better roads not fewer and certainly not rougher and I feel the same way about trails. If you have a different idea, especially about trails, well, get off there in the trees and have it. But if you need to ride on a trail that has been groomed by someone, for that short few minutes, just tame the twitchy throttle and we will all be happy. Thanks and get out and enjoy the trails. Saturday it was about -30 on the river below the Deshka Landing, sun was shining and it was great to be alive.

Thinking about it, there is a few other things that could be added, beside don't spin your track or run over the trail stakes and maybe some others will jump in here again. For instance if you come to this nice, wide, flat and straight opening in the trees, its probably a runway for airplanes and you shouldn't run up and down it making curvy tracks, might cause a wreck. Or if you're in an area of cabins, don't be making circles around the buildings, it's private property and there are well heads and other stuff laying around. For that matter, even if you have been invited to someone's cabin or are staying at a lodge, don't jump out off the trails. They put the trails where they wanted them, maybe to miss all the junk, I mean stuff, and if they want a new trail they'll put it in.

Thanks

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast