Thread: Grizzly 700 Problem

Default Grizzly 700 Problem

So I have an 07 Grizzly 700 that has about 550 miles on it and when we were out hunting when while I was in H for High the wheeler would act like it would cut off so I would give it gas and it would back fire and then be ok for about 5 minutes or so then do it all over again. When it would do this the R for Reverse light would also come on when the H was still illuminated. When I am out plowing the drive it has only done it twice but it was only the light for R coming on when in H, but no Backfiring. Any Ideas of what it could be?

Hard to diagnose over the internet, but have you check all of your linkages? When you put it in gear, does the shifter have slop in it or does the shifter engage and stay put? Just some things to look at to begin. And to be honest, I don't own a Griz so I could be way off base. Does the Griz have drive belts? I had a Polaris that had similar problems once and I had to change out drive belts because they would engage and disengage. Maybe something else worth checking. Hope some of this helps

Scooter

Default fuel injector cleaner

My grizz has "cut out" before (again and again), just this winter plowing in fact. It got worse and worse, and I was getting ready to tear into it when instead I tried the easy way out: STP fuel injector cleaner. Worked. Good as gold now.

I'll tear into it after its summer, but for now working great is working great.

I've seen mine have the adjacent (next to the gear I was actually in) shift indicator light lit, but never seen it change while no shifting activity was going on. And mine got out of this habit (as it also outgrew the well-known hard-to-shift problem) with a few hundred miles behind it.

Fuel injector cleaner can't hurt, and certainly is the quickest/easiest/cheapest fix on the planet, if it works for you. It did for me about two weeks ago.
    Dear whatever doesn't kill me, I'm strong enough now. Thanks.

Most likely the reverse switch is bad.

It's located to the rear of the starter motor and about in center of the machine.

It may be most accessible from the right side.

It looks like a small spark plug. It has one wire going to it. It works by grounding that one wire to the motor when it is in any gear other than reverse.

Pull the wire off of the switch and ground it. If that fixes your problem, get yourself a new reverse switch and your good to go.

OR

Just leave it grounded, the only down side is your reverse light on the dash panel won't come on.

When in reverse the Grizzly 700 has a rev limiter. When the switch goes bad the limiter will cause the miss.

If that doesn't fix it you need to check your TPS. But I'd guess the reverse switch.

I've fixed a few of the Grizz 700 with this problem, it's a well known problem.
    "The older I get, the better I was."

I 2nd Traveler's comments. The reverse rev limiter switches have problems. My 2007 has problems.

On nyrocatv.com you can find a discussion thread which tells you how to to install a rev limiter bypass switch if you want to maintian the ability to have the rev limiter work at times.

http://nyrocatv.com/techtip.cgi?viewtopic=330

Default CVT

I had a similar problem on a 450. After many miles of running it through dry silt (much like talcum powder) it sucked enough of this flour-like substance into the breather into the CVT housing that it caked onto the grease of the primary. Then, after doing a long haul in low range, pulling a heavy wagon and submersing the quad several times running through deep water I soaked the clutches pretty good a few times.

Well, once back home it sat for a few days and that caked on mess set up like concrete. I started it up and it would run at low speeds pretty good. But, it would spit and sputter once I got it up to about 20 mph. That gunk clogged the channels for the slide bearings enough that they just wouldn't allow the sheaves to squeeze together like they should.

This would not allow the belt rise to the upper regions of the sheave as the rpms increased. This caused an over rev situation and started cutting out the engine.

I took it apart, cleaned it, greased it and once it was back together it ran just like it should.

I definitely 3rd the reverse limiter switch. I had that problem with my 2007 Grizzly 700 too and I grounded the wire like they mentioned on here. I no longer have any backfiring or engine misses. As stated you will no longer show a reverse light on your display panel but I can live with that.

best machine on the market today IMO but they all have issues. For all you need to know or problems encountered check out Grizzlycentral

Sorry it took so long to reply on the fix but replaced the neutral safety switch and she runs like a new one. Just wanted to say thanks for all the advice and help.