Thread: Peninsula Pike Fishers- You Can't have it both ways

Default Peninsula Pike Fishers- You Can't have it both ways

There are some outdoor folks, especially on the Kenai Peninsula, who complain a great deal about the blight of pike in local lakes. One particular peninsula based outdoor site webmaster has made it a personal crusade. Yet when it comes down to telling where the places are that they are pulling out lunker pike, they are very close mouthed. This is especially true of people who are competitive in the pike category of the local derby during February.

Now I most certainly can understand why a person would want to keep information confidential about where to catch the big char, rainbows, or lakers, etc.. I do that myself. But come on guys, those species won't continue to exist if the pike keep multiplying.

I would really like to help you erradicate those rainbow-eating pike that you love to complain about. So put aside the desire to have your own personal pike honeyhole and start being forthcoming with the info. The only way we are going to lick the pike plague is to work together.

Default bowfishing?

i would like to give bowfishing a shot...so where can i find some at ice-out?
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Where at on this peninsula have most people been fishing, I've only ever fished for pike on Scout lake and have done alright everything was little. but i defineltly like to go out and help out.

Default That is my point!

Stormy, and Sevena (Soldotna) lakes have been the focus of erradication efforts, but my sources tell me that there are plenty of other lakes that people are hauling some big pike out of. And as to where those places are, mum's the word for these folks.

Dave- the bow hunting sounds cool. Wonder if you have to have a bow lisence to kill fish?

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    Dave- the bow hunting sounds cool. Wonder if you have to have a bow lisence to kill fish?
    No such thing as a bow license in AK. I have not checked out the bow fishing regs of late but if I remember right you can bowfish some species. Need a fishing license though.

I bow hunt everything except ducks and ptargiman.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

I spoke with a fisheries biologist in Soldotna about this, and he said they've really been trying to knock them out around here, and that I wouldn't really have much of a chance of getting anything big.
    "Wine can of their wits the wise beguile, Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile." - Homer, Odyssey

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    I bow hunt everything except ducks and ptargiman.

What no ducks? you wuss I'll give you ptarmigan they are so much more fun to shoot from the air!

thats clearly ment to be a joke and not a personal comment please take it as such!
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default Access

The problem you have with most pike lakes on the penn. is access. Sevena, W. Mackey, and E. Mackey lakes probably have the highest populations of pike, but as far as I know is almost completely surrounded by private property and has no public access. The other two pike lakes, Stormy and Scout however do have public access. Stormy has produced a few large pike, but I've heard they've declined in size and most are of the "hammer handle" variety like the other lakes.

Homerdave- Stormy lake might be your best bet for bowfishing, there's a decent boat launch and offers a fair number of grassy shallow areas, and is usually clear enough to look for fish. I believe you're limited to canoes and such on Scout lake...although I haven't been on this lake in years...and even then it was in the winter.

I fished both Scout and Stormy this last summer and only caught one pike, and that was about 20" out of Scout. I fished them hard and long too, with many different lures. I'm going to give them a shot again this June.
    "Wine can of their wits the wise beguile, Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile." - Homer, Odyssey

Default bow fishing pike

In the midwest spear fishing pike is popular. It's done from a dark house (ice house w/o windows) with a big hole cut in the floor. You use a decoy, live or atrificial, that is hung by a string from the celing. You manipulate the string to make the decoy look life like. Most guys I know use either oyster shells or egg shellls. They throw them in the hole to get more reflective light, and make it easier to see the fish, it also enhances the decoy, so the fish can see it better. You just need to figure out where the fish are moving, and what water they are holding in. Find the bait and the fish will be there. The pike will hit the decoy! Great fishing to you all.