Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lights

Default Lights

I need to add some lights to my ski-doo expedition. I have been looking at the new LED light bars and single lights from a few mfg's. They are all pretty expensive and I am not sure how/where they would mount and do the most good. Anyone out there with them on and if so how/where did you mount them? Any brands to stay away from? Pictures are good if you got any. Thanks
    "Ebbtide" 27 X 9 GlacierCraft
    MMSI#

Iím going to go out on a limb and say your led lights needs 12v DC to power them. If Iím right you will need to go across the battery not the lighting circuit.

http://stores.intuitwebsites.com/hst...StoreFront.bok

I put one of the 1500 lumen lights on my helmet (still have yet to hook it up). The price was right. They make these for adventure motorcycles and they seem to be tough enough. Only time will tell.

Charterboat Operator

LEAD DOG!!!!!
    easy, inexpensive and FANTASTIC!
    call me if you want to borrow one to check out.

Six Roblees has 2 options a round one or a rectangle one, pulls very very low amps, hooked mine into the rear running light on my SWT, less than $70 bucks. Check it out it, I put an inline switch on the bar. Lights up my entire rear area, I pull a 9 foot sled. Great for loading, if on the front would be awesome too. Attachment 56586

AK flyer: I could not pull up your attatchment.

Pole Bender: I have a heated viser and that cord drives me crazy. I don't think I could deal with another one.

AK Jeff: Those lights look interesting and much less expensive then the vision x lights I was looking at.

Still looking for input on forward facing mounts and light bars/singles. Thinking I could build a bracket over the current headlight and get a little height out of the light and not knock it off if I put the machine on it's side.
    MMSI#

I use the lead Dog and works well except for the chord. The Cyclops www.cyclopsadventuresports.com was recommended as an alternative. They are on the spendy side and looks like may have a battery pack to deal with. The lead Dog and other helmet mounts are nice for lighting other than where your machine is facing.

Before there were head lights for helmets I put a 50w light weight car driving light on my helmet using Velcro, I think it cost $25.

If you use a little ingenuity you could use one power cord for your heated visor and head light.

Charterboat Operator

ebb tide little trick with the cord, run it on the inside of your jacket down your back, then out at the waist line of your coat, no more fouling up! ive got about 10k miles on with lead dog plugged it, dont even know its there. i do have one of the old style driving lights that RM is talking about, it worked well unitl about50 mph, kind of hard on the neck! Send your kid down and you can have it, would just need to build a mount for it, Brandon will be home tomorrow.

A lot of the of the iron dog racers mount those lightforce off road lights on their sleds.

Default Picture attached

Let me try again! sorry Six Roblees has 2 options a round one or a rectangle one, pulls very very low amps, hooked mine into the rear running light on my SWT, less than $70 bucks. Check it out it, I put an inline switch on the bar. Lights up my entire rear area, I pull a 9 foot sled. Great for loading, if on the front would be awesome too. DSC00915.jpgDSC00188.jpg

Ak flyer that is a pretty nice set up for the back but how would you put it on the front? You basically have the same sled I do with a 24 rather then 20 inch track. Does your headlights suck too? On bright they light up about 40 feet in front of me and I can't adjust them any higher.

PB I will get back with you next week. I would like to check out the Lead dog sometime. I wonder if lead dog makes an led light. I am not an electrician but I have to wonder what all these accessories are doing to my charging system. Heated viser, hand warmers, thumb warmers, GPS, headlights, extra lights. How much will a charging system take?
    MMSI#

Quote Originally Posted by Ebbtide View Post
    I am not an electrician but I have to wonder what all these accessories are doing to my charging system. Heated viser, hand warmers, thumb warmers, GPS, headlights, extra lights. How much will a charging system take?
    That is a really good question. The heated visor, hand warmer, thumb warmers and gps combined donít draw that much power. There must be information on your sled as to how many watts the magneto puts out, subtract the head light on hi power and you will have a ruff idea what is left for ignition and extra lights.

If you have a battery you might measure the charging voltage before and after adding the lights to see if youíre still charging the battery @ 2k+ rpm.

I like LEDís for low power drain, LEDís do not focus light and if you want to see a long way you need a light that is focuses, unless they solve the problem.

you can get after market head light bulbs for your sled go with anti vibration bulbs. 80 watt or 100watt.

they will help a lot

we have used light force 140 with 75 watt bulb that is very bright (mounted on the hood) and is very light weight

Newer sleds' headlights are far better than older sleds but I still put PIAA bulbs in my new ones. I prefer Ion Crystal and the yellowish light. Some guys like Extreme White, which is a little blue to me.

High Performance Auto started the helmet headlight craze 20-25 years ago. Steve converted KC running lights to velcro onto our helmets and added a 12v plug to the cord. What a joy to have a light that illuminated where you were looking rather than where the sled was pointing. They worked well but at 100mph going up the river it was about impossible to hold your head up without getting your helmet ripped off in the wind. I tried several PIAA adaptations of the same idea. Good light in a small package. But, when Lead Dog came out with their helmet light, all the others went by the wayside. Lead Dog got it right and not only is the headlamp part the best I've ever used, they added a red running light and a brake light function as well. When you're chasing your buddies up a hunter trail at max speed in the dark, those brake lights on the top of their heads are fantastic. My wife follows my glowing Lead Dog every time we head out in the dark. Since sled tail lights get covered by snow, gear, and obstructed by trailers, she'd be lost without my Lead Dog.

Every snow go shop in town has Lead Dog lights on the shelf. Get one. You'll never night ride without one again.

Ebbtide which expedition do you have?

I have the TUV V-800 2008 model.. I was at the family flee market today looking at some LED's that were 3 inch x 3 inch and put out like 5200 lumens. Here is a link to a site https://www.rigidindustries.com/category-s/131.htm. Those were some awesome lights but still have had time to get to the sled and figure out a mount. Had them look up bulbs and they said there was some "iffy" bulbs out there for the expedition but not much info on them.
    MMSI#

The headlights were messed up on all the Yeti sleds I've ever encountered. Unscrew the black plastic adjuster knob and remove. Take a 10mm deep socket with ratchet (I use 1/4 drive myself) and tighten the nyloc nut on the adjuster bolt until it stops or the deep socket bottoms out. Install the black plastic adjuster knob and adjust where you want the light to shine.

On my Yeti I have a switch that I turn off my headlight in the daytime anyway to save the bulb for when I need it, I adjusted them also so they work pretty well.

Finally decided to go this way with the light mounts. Worked with Ben at SilverStreak to come up with a plan. A roll bar slides into each side pocket and the lights plugs into the snowmobile. Also put a goPro on it and got some great video. See ("Last Week On The Denali") post in the hunting section. Yes the gunboot still works with the light bar however you do lose the use of the rear passenger hand holds and rear passenger backrest. The system just pulls out of the pockets for low hanging branches. Only rode the Denali once with it due to the low snow levels but no issues so far.

Attachment 66874Attachment 66875
    MMSI#

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast