Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: #88 down in flames

  1. #1

    Default #88 down in flames

    a sad day for real alaskan sheep hunters.
    so sad for the the all the told therr support for this idea and for proposeer and bushrat.
    thank you everybody that tryed to help get this law passed
    Connie

  2. #2
    Member ret25yo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Unit 13
    Posts
    1,471

    Default

    been looking for the link to the proposal book, still cant find it..

    If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ret25yo View Post
    been looking for the link to the proposal book, still cant find it..

    Here it is. It's the bottom of the list of links at the top of the page.

    http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...gameboard.main

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    499

    Default

    Here's my honest opinion on prop. 88 after spending one day at the BOG statewide meeting in Anchorage. A proposal like prop. 88 will not pass until we've come to the point where all sheep hunts must go to a draw. Which sounds like it is unfortunately coming down the road. Too much demand for sheep and not enough supply, especially with the declining populations in many areas.

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 33outdoorsman View Post
    Here's my honest opinion on prop. 88 after spending one day at the BOG statewide meeting in Anchorage. A proposal like prop. 88 will not pass until we've come to the point where all sheep hunts must go to a draw. Which sounds like it is unfortunately coming down the road. Too much demand for sheep and not enough supply, especially with the declining populations in many areas.
    Testimony and documentation offered during the course of the hearing seemed to discount and be at odds with your opinion. Do you have a source you could relate that led you to your opinion?
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    499

    Default

    Just going by what I thought after hearing testimony at the BOG. At one point the chairman said something that hinted at everything eventually having to go to draw hunts down the road, I'm pretty sure he said it after a resident's testimony for a residential preference or nonresident draw permits.

    There was a couple guides that mentioned if there was a resident early season they would go out and shoot a sheep themselves therefore hurting sheep populations more (not sure I buy that because why would you shoot a legal ram that someone is going to pay you 15-20,000 to shoot), and a couple guys associated with sheep foundations and such that stated there wasn't necessarily a resource problem (due to the new age-legal info) and the state shouldn't limit nonresidents until there is a resource problem.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 33outdoorsman View Post
    Just going by what I thought after hearing testimony at the BOG. At one point the chairman said something that hinted at everything eventually having to go to draw hunts down the road, I'm pretty sure he said it after a resident's testimony for a residential preference or nonresident draw permits.

    There was a couple guides that mentioned if there was a resident early season they would go out and shoot a sheep themselves therefore hurting sheep populations more (not sure I buy that because why would you shoot a legal ram that someone is going to pay you 15-20,000 to shoot), and a couple guys associated with sheep foundations and such that stated there wasn't necessarily a resource problem (due to the new age-legal info) and the state shouldn't limit nonresidents until there is a resource problem.
    Oh...OK. Down the road speculation and forward thinking out loud is acceptable to myself at any meeting or collective of individuals with like interests. But to be honest, Alaska is just to vast... imo to have one regulation that fits well enough for the entire state.
    Game populations and human economic dynamics are ever changing and all but impossible to predict beyond the regulatory year.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  8. #8
    Member martentrapper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks, Ak.
    Posts
    4,190

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by caribouconnie1964 View Post
    a sad day for real alaskan sheep hunters.
    Hopefully someday............only REAL alaskan sheep hunters will be allowed to hunt sheep in Alaska.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    Hopefully someday............only REAL alaskan sheep hunters will be allowed to hunt sheep in Alaska.
    and...Bison and Musk-Oxen and Interior Grizzlies and Glacier Bears and...but the 365 day waiting period to become a "real alaskan" is sooooo challenging!!! LOL
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    North Pole, AK
    Posts
    51

    Default

    What is a real Alaskan Sheep Hunter???

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •