Thread: Hunting the Pincher Creek area of Chikaloon Bay

Default Hunting the Pincher Creek area of Chikaloon Bay

Has anyone hunted waterfowl over there before? It looks to be pretty far west. I have never hunted in the chikaloon bay area, would this area be any good? I cant tell the terain from google maps, but it looks to be pretty flat, any water? I am trying to put together a hunt for myself and my dad, from out of state. Any input would be helpful.
    Also, I have been looking for duck shacks for rent in the big su area, but no luck. Help on this would be helpful too.
    Happy hunting.

Chikaloon is hard to get to. The safest way is to take a long ATV ride up the beach at low tide and then walk out into the flats. The other option is to take a 4WD mud truck with a wench and go in on the trail to Mystery Hills. I am not too sure how well that will work out these days. The third option is to fly over with a very experienced bush pilot that has found a safe spot to land at outside the refuge boundaries.

The duck shacks over on the big su are privately owned and it is illegal to rent them out. People do it, but its never mentioned on the internets and only between friends.

There are folks in the Soldotna/Kenai area that guide for ducks and may be able to help you. Work the Google Fu a little harder.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Ray View Post
    Chikaloon is hard to get to. The safest way is to take a long ATV ride up the beach at low tide and then walk out into the flats. The other option is to take a 4WD mud truck with a wench and go in on the trail to Mystery Hills. I am not too sure how well that will work out these days. The third option is to fly over with a very experienced bush pilot that has found a safe spot to land at outside the refuge boundaries.

The duck shacks over on the big su are privately owned and it is illegal to rent them out. People do it, but its never mentioned on the internets and only between friends.

There are folks in the Soldotna/Kenai area that guide for ducks and may be able to help you. Work the Google Fu a little harder.
    I have found a public use cabin in the pincher creek area, I just don't know how far away it is from the good hunting. It looks like there is a landing strip there, but how far to the killing fields?

google earth...
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

Quote Originally Posted by Shannon View Post
    I have found a public use cabin in the pincher creek area, I just don't know how far away it is from the good hunting. It looks like there is a landing strip there, but how far to the killing fields?
    Man the Feds like to keep things quiet. Nice cabin. Airplane access only. From the photo it looks like you would be anywhere from 50 feet to 100 yards from huntable terrain. Then again the birds have their own opinion about what and where they like to be.
    Since it is inside a Federal Refuge it might be hard to find an air charter business with a commercial permit to operate. If you have a friend with a decent off runway plane you would be set.