View Poll Results: Assuming he was using the firewood, should he be charged?

Voters
142. You may not vote on this poll
  • Charged as GUILTY and fined.

28 19.72%
  • Let off with a warning

52 36.62%
  • Drop charges ... Innocent

49 34.51%
  • Unsure

13 9.15%
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Moose Meat for Fire-Wood

Default Moose Meat for Fire-Wood

Did anybody read the article from the News-Miner about the guy who bartered some moose meat for some firewood. I'd sure like to know some more details about the situation. The link to the story is:

http://www.newsminer.com/pages/full_...20&id=17180541

Let's assume the guy was using the firewood to heat his personal home (and keep his family warm). What are your thoughts ... mercy? or justice? or ????
    Last edited by Truenorthed; 01-17-2012 at 13:35. Reason: Change Wording

Would have to know the whole story to say
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Another trooper trying to make a name for himself. The guy just needed wood to stay warm. I guess in the States mind it would be better to provide taxpayer public assistance than barter.

I agree with Will, we need to kow the whole story. I seriously doubt a trooper is trying to make a name for himself, there just isn't any reason to, Ask Mike Wooten.

Wouldn't it be better to vote on the laws themselves, and then live by them; rather than querying opinion each time a law is violated with intent of determining on a case by case basis who should or should not be held to the law?
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Meat for heat seems like common sense thing to allow. If I had a cold house I can't think of many things I wouldn't do to rectify that problem! The issue is based in our real need to keep people from market hunting. I don't know that there is a logical solution.

We simply make it a habbit of being giving when we have an abundance of something. For instance I offer my shop space to friends when they need to work on something. One of those buddies that uses my shop heats with gas only yet has tons of birch on his property. When he has blow downs or needs to clear space I get the call and he helps me buck up the trees and haul it home. We share meat as well, from salmon to moose we all seem to have more of something than we need. No quid-pro-quo, no documentation of so called "depts" just an honest desire to help each other out where we can. Truly sad deal with this provided that all meat was legally taken and the need for heat was real is that the guy didn't have a network of folks there to help without "bartering".

I can't see any poll results, am I the only one who voted?

My Opinion, without knowing any more details, Heat for Food,(?)....Among Us,...(?)

Drop charges, go after more serious offenses in the game management scenario

(Oh, I see it now, interesting results, and an interesting thread I think, just for kicks)
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Quote Originally Posted by Truenorthed View Post
    Did anybody read the article from the News-Miner about the guy who bartered some moose meat for some firewood. I'd sure like to know some more details about the situation. The link to the story is:

http://www.newsminer.com/pages/full_...20&id=17180541

Let's assume the guy was using the firewood to heat his personal home (and keep his family warm). What are your thoughts ... mercy? or justice? or ????
    There is a thread that has been going around all morning: http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...68#post1067568

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

i dont normally stick my nose in others legal issues... but this might be a hearing worth visiting... just to know whats up. cant imagine it will really amount to much.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Wouldn't it be better to vote on the laws themselves, and then live by them; rather than querying opinion each time a law is violated with intent of determining on a case by case basis who should or should not be held to the law?
    In the strict sense of the word, "Nope".

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Would have to know the whole story to say
    Yup, always the case.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I can and do trade/barter furs, skins, and Caribou all the do da day, in Unit23 its quite legal, but I still cannot do so with Moose, Muxkox and such.

The general rule of Thumb is that when $$ exchanges hands, laws are broke, though thats not at all the case here.

I think he should just be warned, at least the first time.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

I dont get why you need to know the whole story. LEO always makes decisions whether or not to charge someone with a crime. What the guy did was illegal. He bartered. That is illegal in the regs.

I think he should be warned and it should be dropped. He may not have intended to break the law, but he did. One time warning....about the same as getting out of a speeding ticket. The cop sees you speeding again later that day and you will probably get hit with alot more than just a speeding ticket...just for being a dumbdonkey.

You are right. I would need more of the story on whether to make the choice between a wrning and a fine. He did indeed break the law but whether intentionally or not, whether real need or not, are some of the unknowns.

Know he has money and to me rapes resourses so along with a mine he may just get a shaft
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Had to vote guilty as the law now stands. But as long as it was a legally harvested moose, and legally harvested wood, I disagree with the law.

As I saw pointed out elsewhere, if he had just been given the wood or he had just given the moose meat away, no laws would have been broken. So why not allow bartering of legally taken resources?
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

Quote Originally Posted by twodux View Post
    So why not allow bartering of legally taken resources?
    Why indeed? Can someone speak to the reasoning behind the law?
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    #Resist

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Why indeed? Can someone speak to the reasoning behind the law?
    sure can... pay attention to the BOG meeting you might learn a bit ... this is supposed to be re written.. ???
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    sure can...
    By all means, please do.
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by dkwarthog View Post
    I dont get why you need to know the whole story. LEO always makes decisions whether or not to charge someone with a crime. What the guy did was illegal. He bartered. That is illegal in the regs.

I think he should be warned and it should be dropped. He may not have intended to break the law, but he did. One time warning....about the same as getting out of a speeding ticket. The cop sees you speeding again later that day and you will probably get hit with alot more than just a speeding ticket...just for being a dumbdonkey.

Prosecuter decides on charges not the LEO, there was a real lame duck pros. in the north slope bourough that was not charging even in clear breaking the law type arrests. She would call up the arresting NSBP officer and instruct them that no charges were being brought and to let the detained person go.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast