Thread: reliquifying gelled Diesel

Default reliquifying gelled Diesel

Hello guys.
    I thought I would pose this problem to the experts.
    The fam and I are planning on hiking out to one of the public use state cabins this weekend. howver, it has been pretty cold down here (for JNU, -10 to +10). I am a bit nervous that we will get out to the cabin and the fuel line will be frozen or gelled. The cabin has a small gravity fed diesel stove. Any ideas how to get the stove going if the fuel line is gelled? Does that diesel anti gel (like diesel 911) reliquify fuel that has already gelled? or is this just work before the fact?
    I would HATE to get to the cabin, with the family, in 0 temps and NOT be able to get the stove going! So any tips or tricks GREATLY apprciated!

-10 u shouldnt have a problem, we down to -22f and out heating oil is fine. as long as its #2 i believe you should be good. a good method to degell it would be heat tho. bring torch to apply heat to copper lines.
    Semper Fi!

Diesel anti gel (like diesel 911) will re-liquify fuel that has already gelled. I had to do it to my snow blower earlier this season when I added fuel that I forgot to treat.
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

thanks guys. I think Ill try the diesel 911 (I assume it safe for stove too, is it?) Im not sure I could reach all the lines with the torch. I you are right #1, #2 and kerosene would likely be fine...but who knows what some people dump in those public use cabin tanks!

Quote Originally Posted by greythorn3 View Post
    -10 u shouldnt have a problem, we down to -22f and out heating oil is fine. as long as its #2 i believe you should be good. a good method to degell it would be heat tho. bring torch to apply heat to copper lines.
    #2 is summer fuel...
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

Quote Originally Posted by fishfinder View Post
    thanks guys. I think Ill try the diesel 911 (I assume it safe for stove too, is it?) Im not sure I could reach all the lines with the torch. I you are right #1, #2 and kerosene would likely be fine...but who knows what some people dump in those public use cabin tanks!
    It might not be a bad Idea to have one of the propane torches with you even if the fuel is not gelled it might make lighting the stove a little easier. Have fun and Good Luck