Thread: 600 ACE Skandic

Default 600 ACE Skandic

I've been reading about the new 4 stroke and cold weather starting issues on other forums. I didn't opt for the $500 block heater from ski-doo. I was wondering if the machine would fire up in this cold weather we've been having lately. So I took it out of the garage last week and let it sit outside in the -40 weather. I went out and it fired up this morning. It was little hesitant but it fired off. I think i'm going to put an inline water heater that Yamaha sells because I don't like cold starting them in this kind of weather.

That's good to hear. I've wondered how they started in the very cold. Seems synthetic oil would cure any worries about engine damage. Anyone feel free to correct me on that.

Sent from my Milestone X using Tapatalk
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

Thanks for the report.
    The coldest I have started my Expedition sport 600 ACE was -17 and it started better than my 550F.
    They said they had tested it down to -40* but a real world test by someone outside of the factory test facility is always more believeable.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

There is a lot of good information on the 600 ACE here. http://www.dootalk.com/forums/index....ilter=all&st=0

Quote Originally Posted by KLK View Post
    I've been reading about the new 4 stroke and cold weather starting issues on other forums. I didn't opt for the $500 block heater from ski-doo. I was wondering if the machine would fire up in this cold weather we've been having lately. So I took it out of the garage last week and let it sit outside in the -40 weather. I went out and it fired up this morning. It was little hesitant but it fired off. I think i'm going to put an inline water heater that Yamaha sells because I don't like cold starting them in this kind of weather.
    You can buy heater pads of varing sizes and different watts and apply them with silicone sealer to the outside of the engine and plug them in - they work good ! 75-100-150 watt put it on a timer and all will be well !
    BIG BULLETS 525 gr VERY DEAD BEARS - 45-70 is the HAMMER OF THOR !

Quote Originally Posted by BUBBA JIM View Post
    You can buy heater pads of varing sizes and different watts and apply them with silicone sealer to the outside of the engine and plug them in - they work good ! 75-100-150 watt put it on a timer and all will be well !
    There is n
    o place to glue them to Bubba.

Default heat pads for 600

Quote Originally Posted by KLK View Post
    There is n
    o place to glue them to Bubba.
    The 75 watt pads i have are only 3" x 5" - must be able to find a place on the block or warp them around a rad hose and hold them on with electrical ties ! If you can fit them on the block use silicon sealer or goop ! Cheers Bubba
    BIG BULLETS 525 gr VERY DEAD BEARS - 45-70 is the HAMMER OF THOR !

I have siliconed on a 75 watt pad heater on my 600 ACE. Pull the muffler off; slather on the red heat resistant silicon goo on the pad; use your fingers as your eyes to line it up underneath, stick it on and shove something (rags or foam matting) under to hold the pad up until the silicon sets properly. Usually 24 hours at room temp will give a good settup. Worked for me. The bottom of the ACE has no smooth surface, all ribbed, but with enough silicon goo it will seat and stay on. Regarding a non electrical heat source to heat the engine; I have rigged a can of Sterno along with a piece of aluminum dryer ducting which is expandable lenghthwise. It will fit under the machine tight up against the exhaust pipe and direct heat up into the exhaust pipe/muffler and warm the engine relative to the outside temp. I can supply photos if anyone is interested. A tarp over the cowling is also good to hold the heat in. My 2012 Skandic ACE has started at -39C without any extra assistance. I don't like to do it but with the 0-W40 synthetic it turns over remarkably well. May be worth carrying one of those 750-1000 Amp booster battery packs along on backcountry trips and keep it warm to boost with if needed.

Update, went to install my inline water heater. It won't work, the thermostat will block the flow to the engine on the accessible hose. The hose you should put it on is too short and way back in there to even try to put it on. If you did put it on the accessible hose (wrong), it will just heat the radiator and then go back to the heat exchangers before you get to the engine. Might have to spring for the block heater from BRP.

You might trying to find a hose at Napa that you could change out and get the heater hooked up properly. I did that on a Bear Cat 4 stroke. You would want to go in and look at the different hoses with all of the different conferigations and sizes. You could take a heavy wire and make the pattern of the hose that you would need. Good Luck