Thread: Susitna River burbot

Default Susitna River burbot

Anyone here ever tried fishing the big Su for burbs like they do in the interior? Where would be some spots to try? Not looking for exact holes just a general direction to go. Willow? Montana? Anything I should know specifically? Thanks.

I haven't tried fishing the river itself, but there are a lot of burbs in the lakes near the river. I found out this summer by people in the know that the fishing should be excellent anywhere where a creek dumps into the Susitna, and the burbot should be stacked in those area's pretty heavily. I'm up on the Denali Highway and this area is the only one I'm remotely familiar with.
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

Quote Originally Posted by kimjn View Post
    Anyone here ever tried fishing the big Su for burbs like they do in the interior? Where would be some spots to try? Not looking for exact holes just a general direction to go. Willow? Montana? Anything I should know specifically? Thanks.
    The biggest burbot I ever saw, a homesteaders kid across the river from Lake Creek Lodge, (Yentna River) had to use a wheel barrow to haul his burbot up to the house... If I was going to go cut some holes for burbot, I'd try just below where a creek feeds into the Big Su... anywhere from Devils Canyon down to the powerline at the mouth of the Su

Thanks for all the responses so far. How is the ice generally? Assume there are spots that can be quite thin.

there is a pool a few hundred yards down stream of the upper mouth on sheep creek that has produced for me. i haven't been there in the winter for a few years but i'm sure they are there. i can't tell you about the ice either. i can tell you that the bottom is sandy and moves around from year to year so you may have to look for the channel. i had success in about six feet of water using herring and roe. good luck

Lots of Burbot at the mouth of Alexander creek!

Few years back we fished the mouth of the Deshka near Mike and Merts. Was 8 feet of water there in the summer. was 3 feet of ice and 1 foot of water in the winter. Zero flags not even a lick...

Quote Originally Posted by alexander View Post
    Lots of Burbot at the mouth of Alexander creek!
    I have a fourwheeler with mud tires can I come out...Joking of coarse..Hows the overflow out there this year?

Quote Originally Posted by akdube View Post
    I have a fourwheeler with mud tires can I come out...Joking of coarse..Hows the overflow out there this year?
    Not bad this year, lots of ice, and lots of snow!

Telemetry studies have been done on Big Sue burbot. Some actually go up the Deshka into Kroto Cr. in December to spawn. In December and January they move around alot in search of spawning grounds. There's some data from the report "Winter studies of resident and juvenile anadromous fish" (October 1984-May 1985) ADFG You can find this report on ADF&G's website.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly