Thread: Carol Davis Sportswear

Default Carol Davis Sportswear

A client referred me to a company called, "Carol Davis Sportswear", and I am wondering if any of you have used their stuff? Looks pretty good. They make union suits (they call them a "body sock"), socks, neck warmers, hats and a bunch of other stuff out of synthetic material. If you have used their stuff, I'd be interested in your take on it.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Looks good Mike, but don't let anyone read your clothes tags, Carol.

Have you tried any merino wool base layers, Mike? That stuff looks reasonably nice, but I don't think I will ever again buy a base layer that is not made of merino wool. The stuff is that good.

I am in the same camp as Brian on this one. All of my synthetics have been replaced with merino wool and I will never go back! 170 miles on the sled this weekend at temps in the -30 level recorded and probably much colder in the valleys found me comfortable in my expedition weight merino. The light weight stuff is perfect for long remote hunts with no poly funk factor. I have spent a small fortune fine tuning my gear and there is simply nothing on the market that compares! Poly was great and will do what it claims, you will certainly have a great trip and be plenty comfortable wearing it. If you never used Merino you would be happy as a clam in poly but after getting a taste of the good stuff it is hard to consider going back! It is just like top shelf eVent rain gear, if you never used it you would think Helly Hanson was awesome. After trying one for a trip though you would wonder how you did without out it in the past!

My problem with wool is that it always ends up in the dryer at some point, and then I have to give it to some kid because of the shrinkage factor... are you having that issue with Merino?

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

I frequently dry mine on low heat. It has minimal shrinkage and quickly returns to normal when I put it on. When I have time I do hang dry but I end up throwing in the dryer more often than not.

I've avoided putting mine in the dryer almost completely, but on the rare occasion when it has been accidentally thrown in I haven't found shrinking to be a problem. Ultimately, it's not much of an issue because it doesn't have to be washed much. Yes, after a week in the mountains I'll give it a quick wash, but for day-to-day use merino wool doesn't need to be washed nearly as often as synthetics.

What brand are you sporting Brian?

A number of different ones. I've picked up a bunch of Icebreaker merino off of Steepandcheap, some Minus 33 boxers and a t-shirt from Barney's, and a few other random pieces. I really like the Icebreaker stuff so far, and I can consistently find it on steepandcheap for 50% off.

I have not found a bad merino wool garment so far. I like the minus 33 stuff but would like to try another brand of boxers with a different style waist band. For shirts and long johns I have not found any that weren't simply excellent. The terramar merino stuff can frequently be found super cheap.

Default Polartec, a good start from materials perspective...

Materials: I see that their garments are made from top quality Polartec products; Powerstretch Polarec®, Powerstretch Polartec® fleece. I've been very satisfied with the Polartec I own. I also favor merino most, but the synthetics have a place and Polartec is at the top of my list. Looks like the fleecy inside would be comfy for late season or low activity outings.

Design: These are basic designs mostly, but I can see small details that might work well in the field:
    a. thumbholes on their body sock cover the inner wrist better, sealing one of the body's heat leak sites: http://www.davissportswear.com/sunsh...uct_detail&p=2
    b. web neck, again, is a compact accessory that puts extra insulation where larger blood vessels run close to the skin and can leak warmth. Besides, it's important to look good whilst hunting about the manor, right?: http://www.davissportswear.com/sunsh...ct_detail&p=13
    c. web paws: http://www.davissportswear.com/sunsh...ct_detail&p=14

Construction: Their prices look to be inline with other well-made brands. If your client was an experienced, practical, feet-on-the-ground sort, maybe it's worth a try.

Interesting products. Thanks.

Sierra Trading Post has great prices on Terramar and Smart Wool...Good stuff! I just got some Lorpin medium hiking wt. Merino wool socks ans they are warm as toast.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Mike, I have the body sock. I bought it about 7 years ago when I was assistant guiding. Since then I used it in Barrow as a second layer anytime I went out hunting and in SE they are perfect for wearing as a layer in my goretex waders. If I ordered another pair I would not get the butt flap or the thumb hole cuff. Stirrups are nice though. The material she uses dries reallly fast. I am a firm believer in merino wool and have gotten rid of all the other synthetics, but would not part with the body sock.

I dry Merino wool all the time with the rest of my clothes. I have a minus 33 and three Duluth Trading Post tops. None have shrunk a bit in the dryer.

I would love to have a 100% Merino wool union suit. Anybody know where I could get one? Every one I have found has been blended heavily with cotton.

I used a Carol Davis Body Sock on a horseback/backpack Hume Marco Polo hunt in Kyrgyzstan where the temp STAYED between -20 and 0 for the entire 10 day hunt. I prob wouldn't still be sporting all my original body parts if it had not been for the body sock ... in my experience it deserves top marks. Most of the time here in Alaska it is too warm to wear, even snow machining, but on that hunt it came into its own.
    "Actions speak louder than words - 'nough said"

I sure hope my wife doesn't see that site! Otherwise all our dogs are going to be wearing longjohns