Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: fixing a wee bitty hole in a canoe, and make it look new

Default fixing a wee bitty hole in a canoe, and make it look new

So, through a series of events of which I'm not really wanting to explain to the whole internet, I managed to put 3, oh, maybe a 22 caliber hole in the bottom of my canoe, is there a way I can fun them before spring and make it look new?

Any help would be great, thanks.
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

So, what you're saying is you shot 3 holes in your canoe, but you don't want to explain how; you just want patching advice, is that it?

Ok, so what's the canoe made of, and where are the holes?
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

its a fiber glass (I think, its about 5 years old, a pelican, its some sort of plastic stuff, but I'm not good at identifying such things, its not metal) the holes are right there about an inch form the bottom on the side right where it starts curving up on the sides, like if you were trying to shoot a trout and had a little to much follow through....
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

So they're below the water line? Are they good clean .22 holes on entry and exit, or did they make a mess on exit?
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    #Resist

Wow. They really do shoot canoes, don't they?
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

they are a pretty straightforward holes, a little "extra" from the bullet pushing the plastic out, naturally, but I was shooting round nose lead bulets, so its a "clean" hole

yes, below the water line. if they were above it I wouldn't care. just bend the plastic over and melt it together or sum thin

Quote Originally Posted by cdubbin View Post
    Wow. They really do shoot canoes, don't they?
    Ya, you got a problem with that???? lol

Well, if it were me, I would use a marine epoxy putty. There's a couple brands readily available you can find for less than ten bucks. The kind that comes in a stick. It's kind of like modeling clay.... I would clean up the holes as necessary, knead up some of the epoxy putty and press it into the holes. Reach around from both sides and apply good pressure to fill the hole securely and get a good bond. After it's cured you can sand it lightly and dust it with a little spray paint to match the existing paint, if you're really concerned about appearances. That's what I would do. Give this thread 24 hours, and you'll have more suggestions than you can shake a stick at. Good luck.
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by FurFishGame View Post
    Ya, you got a problem with that???? lol
    No way, I wouldn't pissoff a guy with a .22, almost as bad as skeeter bites, lol
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

3M 5200.

Once upon a time, I was about 5 or 6 years old and was fishing with my Dad in Florida....in a jon boat and a fairly big moccasin grabbed my shiner and was hooked pretty well. Dad hated snakes. Dad told me to hold up the snake so he could shoot it. I did and it was wiggling pretty much since it did not like the idea of a fish hook in his mouth...somehow, as if by magic the snake flipped into the boat between my Dad and I and he fired the remaining 7 or 8 rounds he had in the Colt Woodsman at the snake in the bottom of the boat...killing the snake and there were 7 or 8 little fountains in the boat just like in the cartoons. He said something like the snake is dead and started laughing. My job as to bail the boat out on the way home. My Mother told that story till she died to anyone that would listen...laughing the whole time.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

I would go to Grogans surplus as he knows all about putting bullet holes is stuff.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

But was it a legal shoot. lol
    They make a plastic welder too, it is suppose to work good on atv plastic, so it should patch a pelican.

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Well, if it were me, I would use a marine epoxy putty. There's a couple brands readily available you can find for less than ten bucks. The kind that comes in a stick. It's kind of like modeling clay.... I would clean up the holes as necessary, knead up some of the epoxy putty and press it into the holes. Reach around from both sides and apply good pressure to fill the hole securely and get a good bond. After it's cured you can sand it lightly and dust it with a little spray paint to match the existing paint, if you're really concerned about appearances. That's what I would do. Give this thread 24 hours, and you'll have more suggestions than you can shake a stick at. Good luck.
    Is that like the gas tank repair kits? I've got well aquatinted with those cause dad commutes with a kia...(which actually is the most reliable car we have, except the 8 times its got a hole in the tank....) as for appearances....ya, it would be nice if it looked good cause dad doesn't know....and I'd like to keep it that way....haha

Quote Originally Posted by cdubbin View Post
    No way, I wouldn't pissoff a guy with a .22, almost as bad as skeeter bites, lol
    Ha I was joking. I can't portray sarcastic stuff very well on the internet.

You need to read more Patrick McManus and you will do fine.
    Humor example
    Guy goes to the auto parts store and tells the clerk he wants a gas cap for his Kia. The clerk says its probably an OK trade but he needs to ask the boss
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Default Consider 'fessing up

For sure this isn't what you want to hear.... but.... having a canoe in my backyard right now that I take 30 miles+ off the road system every fall, I gotta say...

If your Dad's canoe is a day tripper that the family uses within sight of the shore on little outings to the local lake, proceed as planned.

But if your Dad heads way back in his boat, in which case his life might depend on the integrity of his canoe, then go fess up and tell him you'll fix it with his supervision; he deserves to know. Some things are best not swept under the rug, even if it hurts a bit in the short run.

A weak/faulty boat is not the same as running out of gas in your car on the side of the road.

Quote Originally Posted by FurFishGame View Post
    its a fiber glass (I think, its about 5 years old, a pelican, its some sort of plastic stuff, but I'm not good at identifying such things, its not metal)
    FFG, there's a big difference between plugging a hole just to get back home and making a permanent repair. If you want a good looking patch job then your first step is to figure out exactly which material your canoe is made from!

If it's fiberglass then use a fiberglass patch. If it's plastic then it matters which type of plastic. You can do much better than to "just bend the plastic over and melt it together or sum thin". Try this thread for a start:
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...plastic-canoes

Since you said it's a Pelican, that makes it easier. All Pelicans are plastic, not fiberglass, boats. Some older Pelican boats were made of ABS, but all Pelicans made in the last 10-15 years have been cross-linked polyethylene (either RAM-X or XcelCore). As Alaskacanoe explains in the link above, this material can be difficult to repair. According to Pelican, the only permanent solution is to weld it. They recommend using either the KCW or the KCWPRO kit, from www.urethanesupply.com / 1-800-633-3047, instructions posted at http://www.urethanesupply.com/kcwelder.php .

Other solutions might patch those holes, but might not be permanent. I doubt if anything can "make it look new".
    Inspiration is simply the momentary cessation of stupidity.

Won't look new, but a quick permanent fix is to drill the holes out to 1/4 inch then put a short bolt washer-washer nut combo on and tighten up. Could even put a piece of rubber in to seal better. But, I would definitly tell your Pa....

Chris

the cheepest an the fastest way is like akgun said plug it with a short bolt nut washers, use a rubber washer or use some RTV [comes in a tube most big box lumber stores have it in the paint section ] get the good stuff an lit it dry before water
    cost of fix less than $10.00
    no matter what you do it will be there, so cutyour self slack
    use the KISS way if you need to know what the kiss way is drop me a PM I wll explane
    [glad no one got hurt]
    SID

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast