Thread: I posted this on Fly Tying but it is a subject worth discusssing here

Default I posted this on Fly Tying but it is a subject worth discusssing here

Who assited you with your start flying fishing and who would you like to thank. Feel free to tell your story!!!

My start was with Project Healing Waters-Alaska. They helped me and my service dog cross the ferry and fish the Russian. It was not only their assistance to me, but the assistance to my son who was also with me. I now go to the weekly Fly tying sessions at VA, casting class this Wednesday to learn how to use my sage flight 9wt. for salmon, and also have ordered a nor-vice to pass some time in between classes. Although I am a serious ugly fly tyer I have taken the hobby up to increase the dexterity in my hand..Always looking for ways to get better though.

Ohh, got to thank Laura Orr and Mike Henrie.... A big shout out the folks that volunteer for this great cause ..

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

Quote Originally Posted by ret25yo View Post
    ... weekly Fly tying sessions at VA, casting class this Wednesday...

Ohh, got to thank Laura Orr and Mike Henrie.... A big shout out the folks that volunteer for this great cause ..
    I wasn't aware that was going on, but I'm delighted to hear of it. If I was closer I'd be there and standing tall, too.

And good to know the names of the folks involved. My sincere hats off to them. Let them know that if they ever need donations of materials or tools, this would be a good place to post the word. I bet they get a real good response!

Thanks to you personally for your service and your attention to your son.

Will do BB - as far as my son, I believe there are certain risks to take as a disabled individual and certain limitations you have to set for yourself... Its a fine line between courage and stupidity. I want him to know it's OK to ask for help, and when to ask for help.

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

i got started on my own,it wasn't until years later that i became frustrated with wind/casting knots that i went looking for help, a few hours with a fff instructor got my knot problem fixed and opened up a new world of different style casts and made me love the sport even more.

Default Jackie and James

When I first got to Alaska I decided that I really needed to learn how to fly fish. I went to the PX and bought a $35 5wt with reel, line and everything included. I watched a few videos and was finally able to catch a few extremely small stock trout in a lake on post. I thought I had it figured out so I bought a used 8wt lamiglas rod with a mooching reel (what a winch) and felt I was ready to battle the big trout.
    I read about how to fish beads and headed down to quartz creek. I was down there beating the water up and not catching anything at all. I started talking to a couple of older guys and I think they felt sorry for me so they completely re-rigged my whole setup and gave me a few pointers. Turns out they had been coming to Alaska every year for a month to fish for trout for ten plus years. They invited me to join them the next day on the Upper Kenai. I ended up fishing with them for a week straight. The first day I caught maybe 5 fish compared to their 50+. I kept watching them and asking questions so by the end of the week I was right there with them. They have taught me so much over the last few years.
    That was six years ago so now every year when they come up, my wife and I spent as much time as possible fishing with them. Iím sure many of you have seen us down on the Upper Kenai. Now, one of the highlights of the year is when they come back up.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6656.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	44.9 KB 
ID:	56690Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6652.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	40.0 KB 
ID:	56691

Quote Originally Posted by bnkwnto View Post
    Now, one of the highlights of the year is when they come back up.
    Great Story!
    "If our father had his say, nobody who did not know how to catch a fish would be allowed to disgrace a fish by catching him." -A River Runs Through It

Though they didn't assist me personally, probably the 2 that most helped me enter the fly fishing world were Ray Bergman & Joe Brooks. I read pretty much everything they wrote.

My Dad bought me my first fly rod when I was 7 years old and my first fly tying kit when I was 13. Fishing the Shenandoah River and Farm ponds. I got stationed at Fort Richardson in 1986 and Ron Weber got me straight with Fly Fishing in Alaska for Salmon and bows. I try to pass on the knowledge to others whenever I have the opportunity.