Thread: wooldridge in ocean???

Default wooldridge in ocean???

i have a 20 ft alaskanII with a soft cab (9 degree bottom) and am thinking of going on a multi day bear hunt this spring out of whitter and maybe out of seward for silvers.

looking for some advise about it.

I may go with 2 boats but i'll have to see

I have a prop on a new 140 for these trips.

I've been fishing Seward the whole month of August for better than 10 years. I have a 20'Willie Predater. As long as you get a good forecast and heed the warnings you'll be fine.
    I have no experience with Whitier so others may chime in. Good luck with your plans.

If the seas are totally flat it is doable. Otherwise you will get beat up beyond belief. The problen is if you head out in flat seas and then a chop builds up, what then? You are screwed, period.
    Used to own an Alaskan and while being a fantastic river boat it's ocean use is very limited to only the calmest of days.

I used to run around PWS and Seward in a 16 foot old hewescraft that was pretty much flat bottomed at the back. It was nice on flat calm days, but any kind of wave action would beat the crap out of us, many times I thought the boat will come apart from slamming down the waves. Many times I had to cruise at hull speed back to port, which isn't really fast in a 16 footer.
    The weather/wave pattern in Seward is very predictable, when coming back to port after 12pm expect to get beat to crap especially when the tide is running against the wind. I usually left very early in the morning and was back to port before 1pm, or stayed out on the water past 4-5 pm.
    Whittier's Passage canal can kick up at any time, depending on the winds and can be fairly nasty, and when you're trying to make the last tunnel it can be tricky.

Be weather smart, lots of safety gear and have a survival suit for each soul on board. My Wolly has brought home a few bears from the salt.

"I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Make sure you have a kicker in case something happens to your primary engine. Winds can kick up quicky and in a boat like that, you don't want to be stuck out bobbing in the open without power because you accidentally clipped a floating log and your primary engine is offline.

what about going out of deep creek or anchor point ????

Quote Originally Posted by cabin goer View Post
    what about going out of deep creek or anchor point ????
    It's doable, but be VERY careful about the weather, there's nowhere to hide, I would plan my trips around the tide schedule.
    Make sure your trailer has high side bunks, I believe the tractors will not launch you without them.

Is the wiring protected from salt, some fresh water boats do not wire there boats to be use in salt water.