Thread: which would you choose

Default which would you choose

IF you had a choice between a glock 20 10mm and a taurus m444 ultralight 44mag. Which would you choose to carry around while out and about in alaska?

G20 every day of the week...................
    Follow me...................

Probably the 10mm. 16 shots vs 6? Count me in. I figure I'm just about as likely to use my handgun as a signaling tool as I am to use it in self-defense.

The 10mm if the 44 was a different gun it would probably me my choise but the 10mm is a fair round
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Glock 20 as Taurus's .44 mags aren't on the lists for good heavy Bear Loads I would use.

Taurus 44. Practice with 44spls then load it with Lee310s at about 1100fps for carry.

I have a Taurus 44MCP and it handles some pretty stout handloads. I'd always go with a revolver for carry.
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

Which one can you shoot the best? I had SW airlight .44 and it sucked. The worst gun I ever shot, and the best I ever carried. Revolvers are simple in the field. You have to be more proficient with the Glock. Sounds more like personal preference than a difference in effectiveness.

Quote Originally Posted by Daved View Post
    Which one can you shoot the best? I had SW airlight .44 and it sucked. The worst gun I ever shot, and the best I ever carried. Revolvers are simple in the field. You have to be more proficient with the Glock. Sounds more like personal preference than a difference in effectiveness.
    I agree with Daved.

We could go though a comparison of the two... and we all would likely have different answers for any pistol comparison.
    here's a partial list -
    Automatic versus revolver
    Exposed hammer or indicator pin
    magazine capacity
    single or or double action
    loaded gun weight
    barrel length and sights (& sight picture and accuracy)
    hand feel (how does it feel in the hands)
    metal or polymer frame (in the winter, I like the non metal frames)
    Cartridge and bullet selection
    factory or handloads
    Ease of carry - How do you plan to carry it (chest holster or other?)

I see advantages for the Glock and advantages for the Taurus.... but as Daved says the choice for you seems to come down to your personal preference.

If I could shoot both with the same skill, I'd take the G20. For bears, I'd take spray.
    Finally, Brad Childress is GONE!

well I own the glock 20 now, I was thinking of buying the taurus. I can shoot the glock realy good.

Get the Taurus and shoot it a bunch. Then and only then will you know which is best for you. I like a revolver, some don't. I like the added power of the 44, some don't. You have to decide what's best for you. Nobody else can do that for you.

Ruger,S&W or Colt I would take the revolver.Not a snob but I would trust my life more to the Glock than the Taurus.I like the heck out of the Taurus 22/22mag revolvers but have not had good luck with the better stuff. If a Taurus was all I could buy or had I would carry it but if I already had better I would not replace it with the Taurus.JMHO
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

You should never shoot anything bigger than a 240gr bullet from that Taurus. It's printed in the owners manual. They (Taurus) state failure is emminant with heavier loads. I realize opinions vary but when the manufacturer states it I kinda listen to them on that point.
    Life is too important to be taken seriously.

Chinese proverb

Thank you JC in AK, I knew it just wasn't me that had read in alot of places such things as.....
    For Ruger, Magnum Research and Dan Wesson revolvers.
    Warnings are there on ammo and in the manufacturers manuals for a specific reason I tend to follow those warnings.