Thread: Special Hunt Results? When do we see them

Default Special Hunt Results? When do we see them

This was the first year I put in for anything in the drawings. When do we usually find out if we got a tag? Kind of wanting to find out how hard I should be hitting the gym

thanks

Pulled from the Fish and Game website...

The results of the November 1 December 31, 2011 Draw application period will be available online Friday, February 17 at 5pm.

We'll see though. They were delayed last year.

AZinAK

F&G website says Feb. 17th, so that means around early March or so...

Teach, why wait hitting the gym is always a win win move. If you are already in good shape (which i am sure you are from trapping) training hard for an upcoming makes things that feel or seem hard now easier and more enjoyable.

Quote Originally Posted by sniper3083006 View Post
    Teach, why wait hitting the gym is always a win win move. If you are already in good shape (which i am sure you are from trapping) training hard for an upcoming makes things that feel or seem hard now easier and more enjoyable.
    I'm a pretty big guy but I can go up and down the hills all day. Since trapping started I've cut about 20 pounds. As soon as I pull my last set I'll start getting back into the routine of the gym again. I was going 3 or 4 days a week but my traps having taking that time away from me. Only so many hours in the day. But with that said I've been pushing myself in the deep snow and hiking a lot. I went out moose hunting with a buddy this last fall and we put in about 6 miles one evening all up hill at least it felt like it. I can say we seen more sheep that evening than moose. Reason I mention it is he kicked my butt that day. If I get a sheep tag I'm going to have to transition from the weights to the cardio. I need to cut more weight anyway.

thanks for the answers guys!

They need to adjust the school schedule so the teachers can get out there and hunt some sheep...., I know alot of teachers aren't gettin' a chance to do it cause they don't have the tenure to take the time off to do it. Works both ways...if teachers get the time off, I can take the kid out sheephunting and he won't miss any school.......lol

Gym? When your trapline gets pulled, shift to calling predators or hunting birds in the high country. If you want to train for climbing mountains, there's no better way than climbing mountains. Hunt ptarmigan, call coyotes, make some backcountry ski turns, or just hike the local mountains for kicks. The best part is that it'll be staying light later and later over the next couple of months. February through April are some of my favorite times to be in the mountains.

I bet you were being pretty quit on that downhill Brian, lol. Looks like that whole thing could have come down around you.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_skipper View Post
    I bet you were being pretty quit on that downhill Brian, lol. Looks like that whole thing could have come down around you.
    Yeah, that mountain has definitely slid before, but the conditions were pretty stable and I had some escape terrain in mind if things broke loose. If things went bad the guy with the camera had a beacon and probe also. Not risk-free, for sure, but we mitigated the risk as much as possible by checking conditions before going and trying to travel wisely.

That looks really nice Brian! Love the little pack gun. I just may have to get out and go cross-country sking with my wife in the next couple weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by kahahawai View Post
    They need to adjust the school schedule so the teachers can get out there and hunt some sheep...., I know alot of teachers aren't gettin' a chance to do it cause they don't have the tenure to take the time off to do it. Works both ways...if teachers get the time off, I can take the kid out sheephunting and he won't miss any school.......lol
    I couldn't agree more! I guess before my time in AK the teachers use to start a little bit later in the year like they do in the lower 48. That would really be nice! I would love to go back to work around the 8th of Sept!!! I use to do really good on bear and deer during that time period in WA when I was teaching there. I would be out chasing sheep in the high country and moose with my bow here!

With that said I do get a few days each season that I can take off and I'm planning on using them next year on caribou in unit 13 unless I get a sheep draw tag, them we will be talking

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Gym? When your trapline gets pulled, shift to calling predators or hunting birds in the high country. If you want to train for climbing mountains, there's no better way than climbing mountains. Hunt ptarmigan, call coyotes, make some backcountry ski turns, or just hike the local mountains for kicks. The best part is that it'll be staying light later and later over the next couple of months. February through April are some of my favorite times to be in the mountains.

I agree with Brian. Not saying the Gym is a bad idea, but it is not the same thing as sheep hunting. When I used to guide sheep hunters, I recall taking some guys that were built like NFL linebackers sent from Zeus. In theory, you would have guessed that they were in great shape. I am sure they could have picked me up and threw me several feet. But as soon as we started climbing steep terrain, they hit the wall and their legs turned to jello. You use totally different muscles when sheep hunting than you would while lifting weights and riding cardiovascular equipment. My suggestion would be to get a comfortable external or internal frame back pack. Fill it up with rocks or water jugs, and go hiking or snowshoeing up in hatcher's pass. That, if anything would prepare you more than anything if you really want to seriously begin training for a sheep or mountain goat hunt. Not exactly sure what types of hunts you put in for, but I am assuming you mean sheep and goat if you are considering training before season.

The local sheep hunts, I believe, 170, 180, and 190 where the numbers, wouldn't quote me on that. You know my build bushwack, lol. It may not be pretty but I keep going, one step at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacherman View Post
    The local sheep hunts, I believe, 170, 180, and 190 where the numbers, wouldn't quote me on that. You know my build bushwack, lol. It may not be pretty but I keep going, one step at a time.
    IMO, build has very little to do with anything. In my rough estimation, I would say 75% is mental, and 25% is muscle memory, endurance, and stamina. I know some guys who are great hunters and have an amazing amount of stamina and endurance, but from the outward appearance they may seem a little overweight and out of shape. I also know others who don't have an ounce of fat on their bodies, and they have a muscular build, and yet if you put a moose quarter on them they crumble and whine like pansies. You will do just fine, but if you are serious about doing a sheep hunt, I agree with you that it wouldn't hurt to do some preseason training. Not because you are out of shape, but because anyone who plans on going on a sheep hunt should.
    Last edited by Daveinthebush; 01-17-2012 at 10:15.

70lb bag of concrete strapped to the frame, then 3-5 miles a day a least 3 days a week starting now for Aug was what we did last year. This year I'll build up to that again but walking to work and back over the mountain between my shop and house

It's been discussed at length over the years, but for what it's worth I prefer to train light and fast. My knees and back will wear out someday - I'm not inclined to speed the process by carrying unnecessary weight while training year-round. My day pack weighs between 15-30 pounds depending on what I'm doing and if the kids are along. With regular climbing (at least 4-5 times/week in the summer and ideally 3+ in the winter) I don't find that training with weight is necessary. Yes, it'll help make it easier during the hunt, but the added risk of injury or simply increased wear and tear on my body isn't worth it.

I subscribe to the just get out and hike ideology. Take what you need for the trip planned and do plenty of trips. I carry exactly what I need and nothing extra.