Thread: ResQfix

Default ResQfix

There was a fair amount of discussion around the Personal Location Beacons under the thread - Emergency Electronics Technology...

Here's my update...

I had decided to purchase one of ACR's beacons and was eagerly awaiting the release of the latest version. I just came home from the Sportsman's/Outdoor show here in Anchorage where I was pleased to find that Eagle Enterprises of Anchorage had an ACR rep on hand to answer questions. If you want to hear it from the guys who know, swing by and look up Charlie of ACR... I'm sure the others could just as likely answer your questions but Charlie was the guy I dealt with....

One feature, of which, I was previously unaware: You can file a "flight, float or trip" plan for each trip via the internet. It can be updated as many times as you want or for each trip you take...

And yes, I purchased the ResQfix and just completed the registration. I'll PLAN as though I don't have it, HOPE to never need it, but will feel secure in knowing it's there if ALL ELSE FAILS....

Question WinMag

WinMag, I believe that this is the one I was interested in as well. What did you have to pay for the unit? I haven't seen it for sale anywhere yet. Not that it is not worth the money, just trying to get a figure for my budget! And, how does the registration process work? Is it possible for another person to borrow / buy the unit?

Thanks, Buck

Default reg info

The ResQfix and the MicroFix are identical. One has a floating neoprene case the other a bracket to affix the unit to a back pack.

The original versions of this thing were called the Aqua Fix and the Terra Fix. Those units are still available and quite viable. They are slightly larger and though all units are waterproof the newest versions don't float.. That's why they provide floating neoprene jacket.

I've seen the Aqua and Terra on sale. I would imagine their price will show a savings because the new units are now available. ACR assured me the old units are NOT going to obsolete and they were going to continue producing them.

I paid $649.99. I've seen advertisements saying the units sells for more and that $649 is a sale price... But hey I'm no dumby... They cost $649....

The registration was simple. You can fill out the form with a pen or do it on line. Here is the online link: https://beaconregistration.noaa.gov/...tch?page=Index

The registration allows for two emergency contact people and 4 phone numbers for each person. There is also an additional info block which allows the user to input information such as itenerary, number of people in group, identification information pertaining to boat, plane or other means of transportation, camp identification, necessary medical needs and so and and so forth.

The additional info block can be updated as often and as many times as you'd like. You can actually fill it out as a trip planner for each trip.

The beacon can be loaned out as long as the registered owner is responsible and the listed emergency contacts are viable for the person who borrowed it. I would list the identity of the borrower in the additional info block.

The beacons must be registered every two years (free) and yes the beacon is transferrable.

Here is a link to a review after the unit was revealed at the shot show....

http://www.equipped.org/shot_show_2007_gear.htm

Thumbs up Thanks BOSS!

Good inormation! That is the exact unit I was looking at. I spoke with a rep before they became available and it sounded like what I was looking for. Good informative sites. $650 is cheap insurance if you ask me. It is now added to the list!

Thanks