Thread: Die Maintenance

Default Die Maintenance

Anyone got any good die maintenance and cleaning tips? I've been trying to keep them clean with gun scrubber and then protect them with a light coat of tetra gun oil.
    Finally, Brad Childress is GONE!

Clean and lube your brass, keep dies lubed so they donít rust or goober up with residue and bullet lube and they should out last you . . . No need to do anything special to them. I have a set of Pacific 30-30 dies that were Grandpaís, then Dadís and were used hard by both and still fine. But I have scratched a couple dies and ruined them by not cleaning range found brass very well. Even those I killed I figure I got more than my moneys worth from them, they donĎt cost a lot for what you get.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I clean out any built up goop and crud with carberator cleaner or brake parts cleaner - a lot cheaper than gun scrubber. In this dry climate I don't see a need to oil them as I've never had any rusting issues.

As Andy stated - make certain your brass is clean and they should easily outlast you.

Quote Originally Posted by MNViking View Post
    Anyone got any good die maintenance and cleaning tips? I've been trying to keep them clean with gun scrubber and then protect them with a light coat of tetra gun oil.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Yea the high carbon tool steel of the die body isnít bad to ruse in normal indoor conditions though in Arizona using an evaporative cooler on your house will rust any steel before long. Here the only die rust issues Iíve had are the threads on some of the adjuster stems which look like some kind of molly steel, inside at the top where they never get handled is where it happens if it does.

I also use the brake cleaner spray . . . or carburetor cleaner or starting fluid spray, all are ether based and work similarly. Depending on what I found for cheap. I get the stuff by the case when on sale, it has endless uses around here.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Just one more of the same. I actually use PB Blaster as my soaker solvent, then clean them just like gun barrels, light coat of whatever gun oil is laying around.

I do pull the threaded plungers occasionally so I can get at all the threads in both pieces.

I also agree the single most important thing is to clean the brass before it goes in the die, I am pretty confident it is the dirt and particles on brass that scratch up dies, not the brass itself.