Thread: Dillingham Transporters

Default Dillingham Transporters

I was doing some research for a hunt out of Dillingham and was wondering if anyone had used Bay Air and what there experience was. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I have used Bay Air for several years and have always found Tom and Janet more than willing to go the extra mile. I highly recommend them and will most certianly be using their services again.

They'd be my pick.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

What are you going to hunt?

Besides an air carrier???
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

Default Bullwinkle

Quote Originally Posted by AKHUNTINFOOL View Post
    What are you going to hunt?
    Moose is the target, and I am just trying to get some feed back on my options out in the area

As has been said, Tom and Janet (and Steve their expediter/Jack of all trades) at Bay Air are top shelf, you'll be well taken care of with them.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

I wanted to thank all of you for your input, I'm also looking in to Fresh Water Adventures as well. Sounds like I can't go wrong with Bay Air though.

Since we cannot speak badly of businesses on here I'll simply say I have flown with both outfits you mentioned. One of them I will NEVER use again. Bay Air now gets ALL our business.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.

+1 for Bay Air!! Not only are Tom and Janet great, but Steve Foy and his wife are excellent as well!!!

I've flown out with them twice around 2002 and 2004 and have nothing but positive compliments. Top-Notch! They have great equipment and do whatever they can to make sure your trip goes well. In 2004 we weren't satisfied with the number of caribou we were seeing and they worked us into their schedule to move us to a new location where we were quite successful. In 2002 Tom flew around trying to find a spot to put us as close to the migration as possible but there just weren't any spots so he landed and taxied over to a camp already on the lake. Instead of just dropping us off he attempted to make contact with the hunters to see how much longer they would be there. Since they weren't in camp he didn't leave us there. He found a smaller lake a few miles away. They appreciate you having a sat phone and staying in contact with them so they can organize their schedule as your plans/dates change.

Brian

Great people

If you are looking for a professional, safe, experienced pilot, you cannot go wrong with Bay Air or Rick Grant with Tikchik Airventures.
    Not sure what issue was had with the "other" flying service (although when I've flown with them I have noticed the animals seemed oddly close due to his height preferences) . But I've been with both Bay Air and Tikchik more than 20 times in total and have nothing but good things to say, both good folks and both some seriously excellent pilots.

Freshwater though, has a sweet goose that takes a real big load.....real fast.

Indiana, only because that's where the check came from...

I second the vote for Rick Grant with Tikchik Airventures http://www.tikchikairventures.com/about.htm I guide out of Dillingham with Brightwater Alaska all summer and Rick is our pilot for almost every trip in and out. I can't say enough about his service and reliability.

Does anyone know if Freshwater is still flying hunters out? I've left email & phone messages with no response.
    Is Charlie still flying for them???

Quote Originally Posted by GoingtoAlaska View Post
    Does anyone know if Freshwater is still flying hunters out? I've left email & phone messages with no response.
    'Nuff said.

AKwchil, GoingtoAlaska, anyone else...

Freshwater Adventure ain't been the same since the newest owners took over about eight or nine years ago.

Several forum members within this annual reoccurring thread have supported Bay Air, and so do I.
    Not only are Tom and Janet great to work with, but their jack-of-all-trades-and-tasks-man Steve is super helpful. When you arrive at the Dillingham airport he will most likely be your ground transportation. He will run you around to pick up your fuel and frozen foods at the two stores in Dill. He will run you over to the F&G office if you need registration permits. He will drive you around to restaurants and anywhere else you need to go. And if you need a clean, reasonably priced place to spend the night he lives next to Bay Air and he rents out an exceptionally clean B&B room. After your hunt ends and you return to Dillingham, Steve will be the guy running you around Dill to ship your gear back home and your trophies to wherever. Then he will drop you off at the airport. Bring him a U Of Michigan or a Lions hat! (OK, he isn't perfect....being a Lions fan.)

You can ship your hunting-camping gear to Bay Air prior to your arrival in Dill. And you can sort out your gear in a Bay Air garage type facility at both ends of your hunt. And if it is raining, this is a big deal! And it is usually either raining, or getting ready to rain.

Toms flight safety record is super for, for ever. He is a straight shooter, verbally. He has told me off when I deserved it, when I attempted to overload his airplane. I respect and understand that. Bay Air will not intentionally overbook a reasonable flight schedule. Not ever. Tom and Janet have met ever contract and personal committment they have made to me in the last seven year.

Just go with Bay Air. And check out the archives.

AlaskaTrue/Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
    'Nuff said.
    I have heard that his wife recently passed, so he has been a bit busy trying to deal with life in general.

Quote Originally Posted by akwchil View Post
    I have heard that his wife recently passed, so he has been a bit busy trying to deal with life in general.
    If you're referring to Jerry's wife, that's a shame as I know she has been quite ill for some time.
    That said, it still does not alter the fact that they've not been a top shelf operation for a number of years.

I have flown with Rick Grant at Tikchik Airventures multiple times and always been very pleased... He does winter in New Zeland if you are trying to make plans now.