Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: $400 for shoveling my cabin roof Yenlo Hills/Skwenta/Donkey Lake area

Default $400 for shoveling my cabin roof Yenlo Hills/Skwenta/Donkey Lake area

Hey folks. I'm still looking for someone to shovel that cabin roof. It's about a 12 x 18 shed style roof, with a loft. I'll pay $400 to anyone who can do it (safely) in the next few days. It will be cheaper than the cabin getting crushed and it will be a big load off my mind. If that isn't enough, let me know what's fair but I need to get it done.

I can't make it down there or I'd certainly do it myself. If you can do it let me know, if not and you know someone who might, please pass the word along, I'll appreciate it.

You can contact me at four eight eight 3802.

Enjoy your weekend!

Well spoke to Skwentna Roadhouse and the high today was -29*......the weather underground that you linked in the other post was showing 7*.....the therometer must be buried under all that snow.

Buck I tried all my resources for this weeknd and all backed out. I did study the track. Do any of the other close neighbors go in during the winter? Breaking trail from Donkey to your place maybe quite the undertaking without being able to pickup the trail as there appears to be a ravine or two on the direct path. Also heard some of the swamp crossings are pretty tough because of snow drifts so some settling is needed.

I will stay in touch and do a check in when I do get that way(next weekend). Just wish it could have been this long weekend. It does sound like the weather is going to remain clear for the week.

TTT

Wasilla, behind 3 Bears on the Palmer Wasilla Hwy

Hi Buck, I'll call you in the morning. I maybe able to go that way on Tuesday.

dang, it takes me a week to earn that at my regular full time job, but I don't got a car reliable enough to make it up that far.
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

Quote Originally Posted by Dupont Spinner View Post
    Well spoke to Skwentna Roadhouse and the high today was -29*......the weather underground that you linked in the other post was showing 7*.....the therometer must be buried under all that snow.

Buck I tried all my resources for this weeknd and all backed out. I did study the track. Do any of the other close neighbors go in during the winter? Breaking trail from Donkey to your place maybe quite the undertaking without being able to pickup the trail as there appears to be a ravine or two on the direct path. Also heard some of the swamp crossings are pretty tough because of snow drifts so some settling is needed.

I will stay in touch and do a check in when I do get that way(next weekend). Just wish it could have been this long weekend. It does sound like the weather is going to remain clear for the week.

TTT
    Internet weather is often way off. What's up with that? Yes, I hear the snow is pretty loose and deep out there. 29 below is chilly, too. Looking at the map it doesn't look like a guy would need to cross any drainages between Donkey Lake and my cabin if you went to my landing lake and then between the creeks to the cabin following the brushed trail.

There's only one close neighbor that lives out there and I don't think he has any snowmachine trails. The closest trail is actually probably up on top, about 3 miles to the east. The prior owner said he cut a trail up that way to the top but I don't know how hard it would be to find.

Thanks for all your efforts so far.

bmunsell, I'll listen for your call in the morning.

FurFishGame, I'd shovel that roof about 8 times for that money if it were here in Fairbanks, but it isn't. Supply and demand!

I have the word out for you. Anyone with interest I am directing here.

For any those going that way word is that Memories Lodge is closed and that they do not know of anyone breaking trail to Donkey Lake, that anyone knows of. The lower drainage does have a trail broke in off the Yetena.

Keep us posted we will get someone there here real soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Dupont Spinner View Post
    I have the word out for you. Anyone with interest I am directing here.

For any those going that way word is that Memories Lodge is closed and that they do not know of anyone breaking trail to Donkey Lake, that anyone knows of. The lower drainage does have a trail broke in off the Yetena.

Keep us posted we will get someone there here real soon.
    That's some good info, thanks! I wonder if there is a broken trail from the Collinsville Trail toward the Yenlo Hills? If so, coming in from the east might in fact be the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Buck Nelson View Post
    That's some good info, thanks! I wonder if there is a broken trail from the Collinsville Trail toward the Yenlo Hills? If so, coming in from the east might in fact be the best.
    That I am not sure about that as the folks at Angel Haven (also closed or not accepting strangers) and Memories are the ones who used that trail. I have the trip plotted out for all scenerios. Those with broke trail, those without. I think I have found most of the possible summer trails from the landing strips to your place on google earth.

I amalso waiting to hear if the trail from the Yetena to Petersville is thru yet this year. It appears as the younger generations are becoming of age they are moving to the city and the trails are not as well travelled as they use to be making it harder and harder to find folks out there to do odd jobs.

Just a thought, but I know that the Klondike 300 dog sled race normally runs from lake creek up to the forks roadhouse and is usually around mid January. I havent checked this year on dates or race route though....but a possibility of a broken trail in the area...

Buck , I think that I have found someone that lives somewhere in the area of your cabin. Clear your PM box and contact me.

Thanks folks. Have some leads but no "for sures" yet. I appreciate the responses.

Wasilla, behind 3 Bears on the Palmer Wasilla Hwy

Buck, has anything turned up yet? I had a really nice talk with a guy who lives on Donkey Creek Lake this afternoon. I think you have talked to him also. Anyway, I've talked to a buddy who could handle a trip like this and he thinks maybe Wednesday and Thursday, so we'll see. It sure would be nice if it would warm up a degree or two.

It actually warmed up to a balmy -20*F today......the 7pm report shows it at -5* after being at -20* all day so something changed.

Here is the link to the Aviation weather for Skwentna.

http://weather.noaa.gov/weather/current/PASW.html

Nothing firm yet.

Yahoo weather says it's currently 7 above! Where are they getting that from, anyway?

At least when it's this cold it tends to not snow as much.

Whoever does it is welcome to spend the night at the cabin which should be easy to warm up, if it hasn't been crushed yet. : )

It will get done before next snow.....someone will get there. The folks on the river that I know are all busy. I did touch base with one guy and he said if I'm in, he's in for this weekend and it even looks like I may get a 3rd as backup.

Truck is terminal. Looking for something else.

Curios if everything needed is at the cabin or if ladders and shovels would have to be hauled in. It sounds like a fun expedition!

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Curios if everything needed is at the cabin or if ladders and shovels would have to be hauled in. It sounds like a fun expedition!
    There's a good ladder there but a good scoop shovel and a safety rope should be hauled in.

Thanks for the update Dupont Spinner. Bummer about the truck.

I am hitting up my group of twenty-something friends who are mostly laid off construction workers to see if any of them want a financed sled trip.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I am hitting up my group of twenty-something friends who are mostly laid off construction workers to see if any of them want a financed sled trip.
    Twenty-somethings + enthusiasm can accomplish a lot!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast