Thread: Dish Drying Closet

Default Dish Drying Closet

I stumbled upon this when designing my cabin's kitchen area. It's a fantastic idea originally from Finland and removes the entire step of drying dishes. It reportedly saves Finnish homemakers 30,000 hours of work annually

It is also popular in other European countries but, for the life of me, can't find a place to purchase. Shipping an entire cabinet from Europe is not an option - I just want to find the components to install myself.

Has anyone created something like this in their home/remote property?

http://www.google.com/search?q=dish+...w=1024&bih=690

I feel guilty getting "European" in our forum of scrubby backwoodsman but it's a great use of space.

Boone
    You can get a dish drying rack similar to some of those pictured, at any Fred Meyers or Walmart or probably an ace hardware store...! They usually come with a tray at the bottom and a plastic or wire cage to set on top to hold the dishes... Or you can get those little folding wooden racks to basically just hold plates...

Quote Originally Posted by Old John View Post
    Boone
    You can get a dish drying rack similar to some of those pictured, at any Fred Meyers or Walmart or probably an ace hardware store...! They usually come with a tray at the bottom and a plastic or wire cage to set on top to hold the dishes... Or you can get those little folding wooden racks to basically just hold plates...
    John, thanks. I'm searching for something suspended above my sink so I can eliminate the countertop dryer like those found at Fred Meyer or Walmart.

I'm considering using the white rubber-coated Rubbermaid shelving found at Lowes and installing upside down or at a 30* angle

Ain't dried a dish in fifty plus years.See no purpose for it .
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Ain't dried a dish in fifty plus years.See no purpose for it .
    Helpful, thanks. LOL

I don't like having dish draining racks on my counter either. I put a dish towel on the counter and stack up the dishes there, leaning the plates up against the wall. When they're dry, I put them up and hang the towel on my stove to dry, leaving my counter space clear.
    Alaska, the Madness; Bloggity Stories of the North
    http://cloud9doula.wordpress.com/

Does this shotgun make my butt look big?

This is what we use at our cabin - hangs on the wall above the counter and keeps the counter top usable. They also have containers for silverware.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/70146749/

Quote Originally Posted by akjam View Post
    This is what we use at our cabin - hangs on the wall above the counter and keeps the counter top usable. They also have containers for silverware.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/70146749/
    I like it, thanks for the lead jam.