Thread: Trapping where other people are - question

Default Trapping where other people are - question

I trap on a 160 acre plot owned by my father in law. So far I have only placed traps near enough to the road that I can check them within a 2 hour (on foot) route because I have limited time to run the line after work and on weekends. On my last check I noticed that some of my traps were being checked and that one of my footholds had been stolen. I subsequently moved my line further in from the road. Leaving the line yesterday I was approached by a neighbor who said he would be making a ski trail back where I set my new line. He said he would avoid my line if he knew where it was, but he skis the trail with his dog. My question is will that activity have negative effects on my line? Should I pull it and move the line to the back of the property where I will only have the opportunity to check it on weekends? Let me know what you think and thanks for your opinions.

The ski trail will help your line, animals love running smooth cross country trails. The only real negative part is the dog. Really depends on the dog. I run my english springer down the rd across the hay flats all the time. He stays next to the truck as I'm running him. We all know he's running past a gauntlet of steel but he stays with me, not all dogs are the same.

Of course, no one wants to catch a neighbor's dog, but if the land is family owned, I would think that the "neighbor" might want to either reroute his ski trail or leave hiss dog home. He knows that you have traps there. It's up to him to control his dog.

it sound like you and the neighbor are on pretty good terms since he's going through the place and has offered to avoid your traps. animals travel the snowmobile trails all the time up here because its easy and faster than plowing cross country so i think his ski trail might be a benifit. maybe show him how to set his dog free in case it does wind up in a foothold (hopefully not as the dog would be pretty sore). it's nice that you guys can coexist and trap/ski/run dogs in a small area like that. if this was in the lower 48 the land would be posted within the 99th degree and you be screaming at your neighbor for looking at it. good for you guys.