View Poll Results: If you had to choose one, which would you choose?

Voters
91. You may not vote on this poll
  • Legs

13 14.29%
  • 4-wheeler or ATV

15 16.48%
  • Highway Vehicle

3 3.30%
  • Airplane

10 10.99%
  • Raft or canoe

8 8.79%
  • Riverboat

7 7.69%
  • Airboat

1 1.10%
  • Snowmachine

2 2.20%
  • Horses

1 1.10%
  • Combination of two or more of the above

31 34.07%

Thread: What is your primary mode of transportation for most of your big game hunting?

Default What is your primary mode of transportation for most of your big game hunting?

In a typical year, what primary mode of transportation does everyone use?

Horse drawn carriage, on fire, of course.

Mainly my truck and sled. Hopefully adding a boat to the mix this year, and of course the occasional fly in. But I'd say truck 80% of the time, at least to get to my 'starting point.'

legs. trying to get as much use out of em as I can while I'm still fairly young.

without an Ocean Going boat on the list, I had to go Raft/Canoe,

So far I'm 100 percent, THE way to go

Once I'm on shore tho, it's all legs
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Im into Water craft, and between kayaking and powerboating, Ive branched off into a larger Coasting type craft of shallow draft and large capacity.
    My snowmachine is for the Harder forms of Water I have around here....

Still, theres a lotta legwork involved along with the back workin' too!

Funny....I walk on water 8 months a year , if thats special ~~LOL!!~~
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

legs.... hunt out the back door. sometimes in the field....
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

I chose combination; I use my truck to haul my boat to a launch, motor up a river to a camp then hunt on foot from there. I put some mileage on my boots when I hunt, I find it very enjoyable and it gets me beyond where the majority of others are willing to go.

I would actually love to use my legs more but huge desolate areas predominate up here so snowmachine from november until late april/early may and boat the few months it isn't frozen or breaking up. game populations can be pretty sparse up here so walking isn't far, usually just to some sort of vantage point. also, i didn't see personal jet propulsion on the list after a night of eating hormel chilli.

I would be lost without my rafts and there would be store bought meat for dinner.

I use a plane for the majority of my hunting and fishing. From there I will use a zodiac, raft, 3 wheeler, or my boots to access even remoter grounds. I guess you can say I dont like to hunt or fish with the crowds.

I don't really like having "highway vehicle" as an option in polls like this. Practically everybody has to drive to where they hunt or where they're flying out from. There should almost be separate polls for "how do you get to where you start to hunt?" and "what's your transportation while hunting?" That way you won't have 40% choosing "combination of the above."

As for me, I usually drive to where I see caribou and walk from there. I've still covered many miles of tundra on my legs each day this way, but it doesn't feel as futile as picking a spot at random and walking. Now that I've got a little more experience with caribou movements, though, I might feel better about hiking in to a few places looking for them.
    Jason
    http://www.troutnut.com -- Fly fishing photos & insect hatch encyclopedia.
    http://www.daltoncorridormap.com -- Exact 5-mile Haul Road corridor boundary for GPS & Google Earth

Quote Originally Posted by Troutnut View Post
    I don't really like having "highway vehicle" as an option in polls like this. Practically everybody has to drive to where they hunt or where they're flying out from.
    I agree...but there is a segment of the community here who literally use a highway vehicle to hunt from.

I drive to where I'm going to park the rig and hunt on foot from there so I just picked "on foot" since I don't actively hunt from a road vehicle. Of course, I don't actively hunt from a plane either so I am a bit confused myself about it...
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit