Thread: Long term food storage

Default Long term food storage

Not sure this is the right place to ask, but does anyone have an experience with using mylar bags for storage of grains, pastas, wheat, oats, cerial and other dry foods?

I usually try to have 6 months of basic food on hand and lately I'm having bugs in rice and pasta and have had some mold on the egg noodles as well. It was vacuum sealed and I'm pretty sure the seals are still intact and used O2 absorbers.

Any ideas?
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

how about some dry ice or co2 in the buckets or bins. If theres no oxygen then nothing can grow right?
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

That's what the O2 obsorbers are supposed to do...take the oxygen out of the package so nothing can grow/live. I'm hearing that regular vacuum pack materials do not keep O2 out completely and I need to go to mylar plastic which is supposed to keep the O2 out completely and essentially leave nitrogen and some other trace gases.

Chemical_Composition_of_Air.JPG

I hadn't thought about dry ice but if there was a way to allow dry ice to turn back to gas and push everything out of the package that might be worth a try...gotta think on that one. Certainly CO2 would be better than O2 in the package.

Looking at that chart it make me wonder how the hysteria over man's CO2 production (global warming) was sold to a stupid world.

Basically, I'm not well informed on this process....hoping to learn from successful efforts of others.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowrider View Post
    Not sure this is the right place to ask, but does anyone have an experience with using mylar bags for storage of grains, pastas, wheat, oats, cerial and other dry foods?

I usually try to have 6 months of basic food on hand and lately I'm having bugs in rice and pasta and have had some mold on the egg noodles as well. It was vacuum sealed and I'm pretty sure the seals are still intact and used O2 absorbers.

Any ideas?
    All grains, rice, pasta have weevil larve in them, its natural and in the right conditions they will
    "hatch" all it takes is a little moisture, warmth, light and a touch of air

Quote Originally Posted by tabmarine View Post
    All grains, rice, pasta have weevil larve in them, its natural and in the right conditions they will
    "hatch" all it takes is a little moisture, warmth, light and a touch of air
    Agreed on the grain...that's why I want to seal out the O2, light, moisture and store in a cool place. They just float to the top when you cook em and if you don't want the exra protein, just scoop them off.

I'm from FL and remember the "revolution" when Tupperware was introduced. It was the answer to all food storage problems in the South and still is, but that only works short term for the most part. I do rotate stuff but I'd like to have a stable long term solution. Is that mylar bags?

Fox did a story on this last year found it on YouTube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=6ZAMjmgobjQ#!
    The woman's website has more info than what Fox showed.

Dale,

Great...exactly what I was looking for. Good info on the video and web site.

Thanks!!