Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Decided on the 45-70, now, which platform? Rossi Rio Grande?

Default Decided on the 45-70, now, which platform? Rossi Rio Grande?

Does anyone have an opinion/experience with the Rossi Rio Grande 45-70? The price seems to be right, and I've seen at least one good review here of a Rossi lever gun (Lowrider's thread). They seem to be well received. I haven't had any experience with Rossi rifles, but I have handled a couple of their revolvers. They seemed to be well made, a little rough, but accurate and reliable.

go with the henry 45/70

The Henry looks good... but I'm not crazy about the tube loading design.

Lightbulb My .02...........45-70 Gov't

My .02 is exactly worth that. That being said, I'd seriously consider saving the money if you don't have it to spend at this time and get a Winchester or a Browning in the 1886 flavor. The price may seem appealing to spend to get into, but you really get what you pay for. I started out with the cheap starter grade all too many times as it truly was all I could afford. I then had to trade or sell at a loss to get what I really wanted after a friendly hunter would let me shoot his "baby". He thought he was doing me a favor by letting me shoot his great gun and it only cost me money. If I had just saved for my gun of choice to begin with, I would be money ahead. No-one took the time to tell me this. My friends at the time said get whatever I could and settle for that. Since being so fortunate to shoot some really fine firearms, I won't settle for less than accurate, reliable, and investment worthy. By this, I don't mean buying a 1800's era Winchester for thousands of dollars. I mean getting a late-production "copy" from Miroku Japan(Winchester) or a Browning. The action is stronger than a Marlin and the RESALE VALUE is there also should you decide you want to sell or trade for something else in the future. You won't get squat for a Rossi in a trade or sale. If you are the kind of guy that will buy it and keep it forever, then treat yourself better than buying a Rossi. It may work and you can kill plenty of game with it. Just remember, an AMC Pacer and a Gremlin also worked and got plenty of people where they were going. They sure didn't do it with any style though. I don't know you, but I don't know many people that say "When I grow up, I'm gonna buy the cheapest stuff that should get me by." Again, JMO Here are a few of mine. They were all worked for and took time to get.
    Follow me...................

+1 on the Winchester. I have a model 1886 and it is leaps and bounds better than the marlin I had before it. Winchester makes the best lever guns I have ever shot. I have never shot a Rossi, but I have a buddy who has one. He likes it, and says it's a great gun.

Gunguy, is the rifle with the longest barrel an 1894 or 1892? I love the octagon barrel, it's a beautiful piece.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Thanks DS56, The (appearing to be) longest is a Win 1886 in .45-70 Gov't. They are l to r.....Win 1892 Takedown .45 Colt, Browning BL-22 .22, Win 1894 in .32 W.S., Browning 1886 SRC .45-70 Gov't (My favorite levergun), Win 1886 .45-70 Gov't, Win 1894 .30-.30(1968 vintage).

Rossi Rio Grande is a Marlin copy, Iím sure itís like most Rossi stuff IE well made serviceable but poorly finished out. For about $150 more you can have a Marlin, maybe even for the same money if you watch for used . . . I paid $475 for my last used Marlin. By far the better gun is the Winchester and you will pay for one, you get what you pay for though.

A lot depends on what you are looking for, what you want to do with it. Most donít want to beat the snot out of a $1300 Winchester on a boat, bike, and sled all year long. In Lowriderís thread he was looking for a beater 45 Colt and the Rossi copy of the Winchester 92 makes great sense there, a real Winchester 92 is twice the price of the serviceable Rossi copy. Here, with 45/70 we are talking Marlin copy and to me it doesnít make since because a real Marlin isnít a hole lot more money than the copy. Also the Marlin is well known to take hot heavy 45/70 all day long where the Rossi lacks that track record. It may do just fine with hot/heavy but I donít think that has been proven one way or the other yet because itĎs mostly been cowboy action shooters that buy them so far.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by gunguy1968 View Post
    Thanks DS56, The (appearing to be) longest is a Win 1886 in .45-70 Gov't. They are l to r.....Win 1892 Takedown .45 Colt, Browning BL-22 .22, Win 1894 in .32 W.S., Browning 1886 SRC .45-70 Gov't (My favorite levergun), Win 1886 .45-70 Gov't, Win 1894 .30-.30(1968 vintage).
    Thatís some great wood on the 30-30, a saddle ring too, and do I see some receiver engraving? Sheís high end for a post 64 30-30 but donít quite look like a commentate . . . whatís the scoop on it?
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I would look for a pre-safety Marlin 45-70 with good Ballard rifleing in full lenght barrel.We get some nice 45-70 guns in the sales forum or just put a WTB add there. If you can live with a single shot H&R's are good for the money if price is a concern and most have been there.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    Thatís some great wood on the 30-30, a saddle ring too, and do I see some receiver engraving? Sheís high end for a post 64 30-30 but donít quite look like a commentate . . . whatís the scoop on it?
    I think it is a "Heritage Classic" that was made in 1968. It has great wood and it was even better before the original stock(factory replaced in 1970) was broken off at the rear of the tang. They matched it pretty well when my dad sent it in. The engraving is rolled, I believe. The saddle ring is factory also. It has been all over Colorado and taken mule deer. The octagon 26" tube sure makes for a shooter.......

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    I would look for a pre-safety Marlin 45-70 with good Ballard rifleing in full lenght barrel.We get some nice 45-70 guns in the sales forum or just put a WTB add there. If you can live with a single shot H&R's are good for the money if price is a concern and most have been there.
    Are they(H&R) still in business? Are they now NEF?(if they are not in business) My friend has a "pardner" I think(?) in .45-70. He is definitely a minimalist when it comes to guns, but it serves his purposes just fine.

Are they(H&R) still in business? Are they now NEF?(if they are not in business) My friend has a "pardner" I think(?) in .45-70. He is definitely a minimalist when it comes to guns, but it serves his purposes just fine.
    Yet they are still around but Marlin bought them and then Remington bought Marlin.Good part is their rifle frames now take Ruger loads last fifteen years or so. I have a few of them my favorit being their 45 BC rechambered to 454 to go with my pistol
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Still around as far as I know http://www.hr1871.com/Firearms/Rifles/youth.asp
    I like that you can have a barrel for everything, a friend of mine has 3 guns, a Wilson 1911, Smith 629, and a Handy with about ten barrels from 22lr to 45-70 and 410/20/12 gage shotgun pipes. He is deadly on running dogs with his 223 barrel on that thing.

My Dad started all us kids on an old Savage brake action that has a 16g, 30-30, and 22lr . . . Very good way to teach a kid to ďhuntĒ and make shots count. Love that ole Savage, Dad named it Long Tom and I got it after his death . . . when my siblings visit they want to pet ole Long Tom and take him for a walk.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Gosh... as I sit here with the Rossi 92 in my lap, it turned out to be the perfect gun for what I want to use it for primarily...a knock around gun that will stop a moose, bear or big cat if need be. With a slip on Limbsaver it has become pretty civilized to shoot even with the 325 gr hot loads....I like it and it is a great gun for the money!!

Not to change the subject but I have a slew of H&R/NEF guns and barrels. With a little tinkering they are great guns. My favorites are .22 K Hornet, 28 ga and a suppressed .44 mag. What great beater guns they make!!

If you want a working gun get a Marlin and play with it a little and it will do everything you want. Add good sights, one piece firing pin, new trigger, bigger loop if you want and you'll have a good working gun. If you want a pretty gun and have the bucks, get a Winchester...I just can't bring myself to beat around a piece of history. Guess it depends upon what you want.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

I like the Marlin 45-70 for a 45-70 platform. They were the first magazine fed lever action rifle chambered for the 45-70, they are easier to take apart for a good cleaning then a Winchester 1886, they have proven to be more then strong enough to handle any modern 45-70 load that is suitable for any other magazine fed lever action rifle. I am not aware of any loads that say," use in Win. 1886 rifles only and not 1895 Marlins". There are plenty of after market accessories for them and they cost less then a Win. 1886. Do they have the publicized history and nostalgia of a Winchester 1886 45-70, no they don't. The ones I have owned have been very good rifles. If you are going to get a 45-70 take your time to get "knowed up" and get a good one.

Post Why I vote down Marlin.......it's a very small chance, BUT....,

Quote Originally Posted by .338 mag. View Post
    I like the Marlin 45-70 for a 45-70 platform. They were the first magazine fed lever action rifle chambered for the 45-70, they are easier to take apart for a good cleaning then a Winchester 1886, they have proven to be more then strong enough to handle any modern 45-70 load that is suitable for any other magazine fed lever action rifle. I am not aware of any loads that say," use in Win. 1886 rifles only and not 1895 Marlins". There are plenty of after market accessories for them and they cost less then a Win. 1886. Do they have the publicized history and nostalgia of a Winchester 1886 45-70, no they don't. The ones I have owned have been very good rifles. If you are going to get a 45-70 take your time to get "knowed up" and get a good one.
    I totally agree on getting all the knowledge you can. Brains never hurt anyone. My complaint with the Marlin is in the locking system. They have a lug under the bolt that rides up into a recess via the lever being held up. The 1886 design has two large locking lugs that slide up via the action of the lever. The difference is in how the lock stays engaged. The Winchester has two lugs that slide up on either side of the bolt to engage the receiver and bolt. The Marlin has one lug(lock) that holds the bottom of the bolt only. Next time you go shoot your Marlin lever, hold the gun and pull the trigger without having your fingers through the lever to hold it closed. You will see that the lever jumps down and disengages the lug from the bolt. The Winchester can be fired pulling the trigger only and not holding the lever to keep the lock engaged under recoil and it does not move. No, most people never shoot a lever-action without having their fingers through the lever. But if you do, then the lock issue rears it's head. This has not been a problem as the normal person shoots their gun in the normal fashion. My concern is if a dangerously hot loaded round goes off, does the receiver split and/or send the bolt out the rear of the receiver into the shooters face. With only one lock in the bottom of the bolt, I'm not up for taking the 1 in 100,000,000,000,000,000,000 chance that it will happen. Besides, I like the looks of the Winchester better... JMO

I agree, there is no better looking levergun than a Winchester. Especially the model 1866.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Winchester and Browning are pretty much out, wonderful guns but not what I'm looking for. My dad has a m94 in 30-30 and a BLR in 308, both are amazing shooters, and beautiful rifles, but that's not what I'm after.
    I'm looking for a kick-around gun that won't be afraid of the dark, that won't mind getting wet and dirty, and that won't balk at a few dings and scratches.
    I'm not a collector, and my guns are tools. My main go-to right now is an OLD Savage model 340 in 30-30 that was passed down by my grandfather to my dad, then to my mom, and then to me about 28 years ago.... its one of the good ones... I had a Marlin 336 for a while, it was a great rifle, solid and dependable, but not as accurate as my trusty 340 bolt gun. There isn't anything (within reason) that I would be hesitant to hunt with it... (emphasis on within reason there...) I don't mind a little rougher finish on the outside if the inside is sound and dependable. (IE: I'll take a Ruger over a Smith or Colt any day of the week, because I know the Ruger can handle anything I throw at it...)
    Point being, I'm after a good, solid, reliable tool that will last a long time and won't let me down.
    Right now my options are the Marlin and the Rossi, which was the reason for starting the thread... to find out how the Rossi stacks up. For the same price range, it looks like the Marlin (especially an older one) is going to be the best bet for me.
    The single shot option is an intriguing one, though, especially with multiple barrels... it may actually be the route I end up going, actually. I wouldn't mind a Ruger #1, but the multi-caliber capability seems like a good idea.

Now I've got more to mull over... thanks for all the input, guys. It appears there is a great store of experience and knowledge here and folks are more than happy to share with the new guys.

My beater truck camp gun is a H&R with 16 1/4" 45-70 barrel and 1X scope and with it goes a 12ga rifled slug barrel and a 12ga mod choke barrel.Can't think of anything it won't handle. and I use it much more the my Ruger #3 in 45-70 or mod 94 in 444.

You may want to consider a Marlin 1895GS. Short, light, accurate, powerful, fast handling, strong action, 5-shot capacity, easy to carry/store/clean, and rugged (stainless steel mostly throughout). I've owned one for 5 years. If most of your shooting will be within 200 yards it's a tough little rifle to beat.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast