Thread: Interior Alaska gardening...help?

Default Interior Alaska gardening...help?

Hello, I am going to be moving to the interior of Alaska, by Anderson to be more specific. I have been all over the internet/books trying to figure out what vegetables/fruits/herbs/fruit trees ect..grow well there. I also would like to know what zone Anderson,Ak is in. I have been told zone 1 and also been told zone 4???? I guess what i'm looking for is a nice complete list of vegetables/fruits/herbs/fruit trees and planting schedules. Also what about growing corn? Has anybody had any luck with that?
    Thank you for any information.

Did you really miss this info in this exact forum It has every answer you need

13 pages of reads, is a good read. Read it all

I'm new to the forum, I thought I would post this to get extra info while reading through the other pages, but hey thanks!

Welcome. Most all of the interior is generally on the colder side of zone 2/3, including Anderson. You can pretty much forget about fruit trees. There are some exceptions, but it requires extraordinary effort. Same for corn; it can be done, I've grown it successfully, but in general it takes special effort and procedures you wouldn't imagine until you became familiar with our climate and season. Imagine someone from Florida asking you if they could grow grapefruit in Bend Oregon.... Where there's a will there's a way, but only to an extent. All your questions likely have been asked and answered in other threads in this forum. Several good books exist specific to gardening here, and you'll find them recommended in other recent threads. They're worth the purchase price. Do some reading, and come back with new questions. Cheers.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Thank you for your information. I will keep reading and adding to my list.

There are a few people who grow apples in the Interior. It can be done, but is best if you are able to plant on a south facing slope and if you have some knowledge of grafting so that you can tailor your efforts to what works where you are (trial and error).

I've grown corn in North Pole. It doesn't work every year, but some years I've done very well. I plant mine in a bed right next to the house with a good southern/western exposure. The sun beats off of the house onto my corn plants most of the day. I've never had any success growing corn in the greenhouse, but maybe somebody else has.
    We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
    James Madison

Thank you very much for your info, very kind.
    Quote Originally Posted by walk-in View Post
    There are a few people who grow apples in the Interior. It can be done, but is best if you are able to plant on a south facing slope and if you have some knowledge of grafting so that you can tailor your efforts to what works where you are (trial and error).

I've grown corn in North Pole. It doesn't work every year, but some years I've done very well. I plant mine in a bed right next to the house with a good southern/western exposure. The sun beats off of the house onto my corn plants most of the day. I've never had any success growing corn in the greenhouse, but maybe somebody else has.