Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Im a first time trapper, in training

Default Im a first time trapper, in training

So I am looking into putting a couple of traps this year, but I'm not 100% sure what to do. So I have been watching videos on line and reading a bunch of stuff. I was wondering if any one could tell me a good book or anything that would help me learn the hows and wheres. Im not looking for anyone to give me there spots or give me a hand out, but I am trying to learn before next year. I want to run a big line next year, so any help will be great.

Thanks in advance,
    Jeremy
    Hunt until you don't like it any more

THe Alaska Trappers Manual has been very helpful to me. It includes preparing traps and snares; different sets for different critters and information on what to do with the hide after the catch. ATA has it for sale for $20.

It would be helpful to know what you intend to trap and the area you live, Also how far from your home would you be willing to travel? Do you plan on Snowmachine wheeler or foot line? ~Mist~

Check out fur fish and game magazine,good reading and a there is some helpful info some times.

You are in some great area! I would check out TheWildNorth on utube. Andrew puts out a new video about once a week from his line and he does great! You could spend hours watching and learning from him. He is a snare guy, mostly lynx with a few wolverine and other critters. Another great spot to check out is Trapperman.com. Look in the Wilderness Trapping and Living section, most the AK guys hang out there. Do you have any traps yet? If not really think about what you want catch, the Trap Shed on Trapperman is a great spot to look. For fun this season look for area thats not being trapped, easy to tell with the fresh snow. Plus it gives you an understanding of areas you can actually have access to during the winter by looking now. Willows cuts along heavy spruce sections of timber and creek bottoms are my favorites. You could put out a couple marten boxes on leaning poles with a cat sets under the poles in these areas as well. Great starter set and may even give you some skinning practice.

good luck!

trapperman.com it is enough reading to keep you busy for weeks the wilderness section is almost 100% alaska people and some from canada.

Teacherman is right on with those youtube videos, I just checked a bunch of them out. watch and learn.

Tm has a TON of info...and once you're done in one section start in the archieves....I've been at it non stop since I was steered to the site also!

So I picked up a couple of snares and some lure. I'm hoping to go out next week and give a shot. I'm reading the trapping manual and reviewed the regs and I kinda understand. If anyone would like someone to tag along to teach, let me no. I really want to learn to do this right. Thanks for all your help

J

Have you attached the support wire to your snares yet? I know some very productive area close to our house that is not being trapped if you don't already have a area in mind. I'll go out with ya if it's not -45 still!

Well now I' up to a dozen or so snares. I have been watching a ton of videos and reading a ton. I have a good idea on what I'm gonna do. Now if only I new where to go I do not have machine, so that kind of limits me. Next year I will have one and plan on running a longer line. This year I just want to learn the basics. So after reading the archives and watching you tube I feel like I am ready to try it. I guess we will never no till I do it. If anyone has anything else to add, please share. PM if you would like, I get that a lot of people want other to do there own research before they help. I assure you, I have.

thewildnorth is a very helpfull youtube channel. if i were you i would take a look at how andrew dose his double snare pens and try to make your own. i have adopted manny of his technices and the DO work! good luck! warnning, trapping is very fun and addicting!
    “We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect.” - (Aldo Leopold)

from watching all of his videos i could find, I would have to agree. I am going to try his double pen cage and see if I cant get something. I am now on the look out for an area. What I'm looking for is a spot with bunnies. I was planning on going toward Fort Knox/hilltop and seeing what I can find out that way. I work at fort knox and no there are lots of critters out there. I just kind have to figure it out.

So went out and set 4 sets today. The weather was finally nice, so I took full advantage of it. I did 1 pen set and 3 cubby sets, all with snares. I don't expect to much, but I'm learning and its fun.

Hey jcorwin I also work at the mine and live out past hilltop on haystack. I've been in alaska since last may, so not a resident yet.
    But I would really like to learn how to trap some so I'll be ready next year. I have alot of tracks on my place out there and lots land out past me. send me a PM maybe we could go set a few or you could and i could maybe learn a little. I'm a crusher mech. at the mine and work stright days 4 tens. When you come in the gate around 6:15 to 6:30 am I'll be in truck 128.

Trapper meeting tues at the mushers hall on farmers loop. This ones on wolverine.

Well I'm gonna go check on my snares today. I don't think ill have anything, but the u just never no. I got a good location with lots of rabbit tracks. So if I get anything, then I will post pics.

well how'd you do?

I got a refusal tonight. Actually the turkey stepped on the spring (double ls) in a track set, promptly turned around. Its set on a remake from a red I picked up last week. Gonna have to boil a few more traps up for this one.

Quote Originally Posted by TradBow View Post
    well how'd you do?

I got a refusal tonight. Actually the turkey stepped on the spring (double ls) in a track set, promptly turned around. Its set on a remake from a red I picked up last week. Gonna have to boil a few more traps up for this one.
    Nothing, but I shot a grouse and I'm going back out tomorrow to rebait it and hopefully ill get something soon. Man its exciting, I really love this sport!

does freezer burnt meat work on a set for lynx or fox? I have a grouse i shot the other day, but also have some burger that didnt get sealed good enough. I am going back out to check my snares tomorrow and was gonna set it wit the meat.

forgot to add this earlier

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast