Thread: Valdez Shoup Bay Cabins

Default Valdez Shoup Bay Cabins

Has anybody ever stayed at these cabins?

Looking to get more info as to which is the best to stay at etc.... Can you get to the Kittiwake cabin at all during low tide etc...

I've stayed at the Kittywake cabin many times. You can get in to the lagoon near low tide in a skiff with care, but it's best to go in and out at high tide, especially with anything larger than a skiff. There are many boulders through the chuck to be wary of during low water, and one big hidden one located channel dead center at the lagoon end of the chuck. If entering at less than high tide, keep a bit right of center as you enter the lagoon.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

I presume you are taking your own boat, so what iofthetaiga says you should do. If you need to charter someone in to take you there, PM me, I know a guy that has done it many times, and he has a landing craft boat so can drop you and gear right on shore. He has told tales of getting in and out of there!

Yes I have my own boat, I would be taking my wooldridge Alaskan XL down....

During low tide how shallow does it get? Also how are the cabins and the area? Which cabin is better to stay at Kittiwake or Mcallister?

Quote Originally Posted by TobinZeke View Post
    Yes I have my own boat, I would be taking my wooldridge Alaskan XL down....

During low tide how shallow does it get? Also how are the cabins and the area? Which cabin is better to stay at Kittiwake or Mcallister?
    Depth of outflow in the chuck during low tide is variable depending on outflow from the glacier. If you're staying in the McAllister Cabin this is no factor for accessing the cabin of course, as McAllister is located in the outer bay. Kittiwake is located in the lagoon. I'm fond of both cabins for different reasons. The entire area is extraordinarily beautiful.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    #Resist

So what is the lowest the water flow through the chuck is that you have seen....I can get through on a 1' of water no problem...

What do you like about each cabin....? How is the beach area of each cabin?

Ive only stayed at the Mcallister creek cabin. It is very nice cabin with big windows to let in lots of light. The bunks had foam over them so you have extra padding to sleep on. Lots of room and the stove worked great. Im not sure what the other cabins are like because they are always booked with people doing bird research.
    The beach a Mcallister is small and of course rocky. The good thing is it has deep water right off the beach so no worries about beaching a boat. The only times we went into the inner lagoon was at high tide so I have know idea how shallow it gets. I do know we came into the main bay at an extreme low tide once and it was tricky. I would highly suggest looking at your charts before entering the bay at low tide.

The current in the channel changes with the tide. On a low tide the current ripps out of there faster than most rivers. I have been in and out of there many times in my boat. Assuming you have a jet you have no worries at any tide. I hug the left side and stay on step until you are at the lake. The lake is a no wake zone. Do not try to enter the lake on the right side and head to the cabin it is very shallow. You have to go almost out to the island where all the birds are and hook around on the far right shore back to the cabins. There is a shallow area near that shore also so just beware.

If you are running a prop then you should avoid entering the channel anytime outside of about 2 hrs before or after high tide. The depth in the channel ranges between 2-3' even at low tide however due to the current ripping out of there I would not suggest chancing it or you'll be less than happy when your prop is all bunged up.

Ok so one person says stay right and one says stay left... :-)

How wide is the channel?
    How long is the channel

and Yes I have a jet and have no issues at all going in 1' of water at slow speeds....

I want to rent the cabin in there, but want to make sure that I can get in and out of that location anytime I want, not just during high tides...

Ok so one person says stay right and one says stay left... :-)
    There is a hazard dead center. I prefer right. No reason you can't stay to the left too. Ice is another variable that can come into play. AkBighorn's point about the right was not to cut the corner once inside. Get yourself a chart, and have a great trip.
    #Resist

I looked up a chart but it did not have the depths inside the lake area.... I also looked on Google maps and I can see where it gets shallow as you go in the lake, I also see the big rock dead center...

How is the kittiwake cabin and beach area? Is there a place to tie up your boat etc...

Also thanks guys for the info, much appreciated...

I looked up a chart but it did not have the depths inside the lake area.... I also looked on Google maps and I can see where it gets shallow as you go in the lake, I also see the big rock dead center...

How is the kittiwake cabin and beach area? Is there a place to tie up your boat etc...

Also thanks guys for the info, much appreciated...
    Beach area is mud/silt and broken rock fist size and larger. Tie your boat off to the alders growing there. Beach, at all three cabins is shallow and tides will leave you high and dry if you don't plan accordingly.
    #Resist

I would not try to take the boat back to the lake at the glacier. There are some big rocks there. If you just stay in Shoup Bay you will be fine. It is deep enough except when the tide goes out near the glacier. Gets shallow in there. The center if I remember is 180 feet or so. I go in on the right about 300 yards off the spit. High tide is best.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

When we stay at the cabins we drop an anchor with a bouy and pully attached. A seperate rope goes through the pully to shore, that is what the boat is attached too. I won't explain this well but if set up right you will be able to pull your boat to shore or out to the bouy for moring overnight. It has worked many times however last spring my son had to board an airmattress and paddle out to the boat to untie both my buddy and I's boat as they apparently tangled up from spinning around the bouy at night. Typically the boats are anchored at the bouy about 35-40' off shore so that when the tide changes you don't end up beached. This shows both what to and what not to do.
    Last edited by AKBighorn; 01-16-2012 at 20:24. Reason: Duplicate picture changed

This is from the trailhead at the cabin we stay in. Note: the water is shallow at the beach where I was standing hence why the boats are all where they are. This is from the trailhead looking out across the lake to the glacier.

Make it simple. Stay at McAllister Creek cabin, and you have no worries at all. Of course, as with any salt water stay, you want to set up a system to float your boat offshore if you don't want to wait for the tide to "re-float" it. Haven't stayed there since 2006, but it's a really nice cabin, and you have freshwater creek right there as well.