Thread: Deer bones

Default Deer bones

I'm wondering if it's ok to give sitka blacktail deer bones to dogs...they're not as big as moose bones, so maybe it's not as good of an idea due to splintering? Obviously not shooting any more this year, but am curious for next year...

feed our dogs deer bones all the time, they are fine.....

Release Lake Trout

Just to clarify, talking uncooked bones...

When my dog gets a hold of Deer bones he gobbles them up, breaking them into sharp shards of bone...then pukes them up later in the middle of the living room!

Quote Originally Posted by sitkaspruce View Post
    When my dog gets a hold of Deer bones he gobbles them up, breaking them into sharp shards of bone...then pukes them up later in the middle of the living room!
    My dog (an 80 lb Husky) is capable of consuming an entire beef or moose knuckle in a few hours if he feels inclined. He's capable of shattering even moose long bones into sharp shards. I wouldn't give him deer bones for the reason sitkaspruce outlines. Some folks allow their dogs these kinds of bones and get away with it, but there is a real risk of internal injury do to shards. I prefer to stick to knuckles and large moose bones. At the other end of the spectrum; I know at least one musher who does not give his dogs any bones at all because he is concerned with shards...
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Ditto, intestinal blockage risk.

An additional problem with uncooked bones is tape worms. A lot of game meat in Alaska has tape worm cysts and will form worms once in a canine stomach.
    These same cysts will not develope in a human.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

MY Husky loves BBQ'd deer bones, caribou bones and bear bones. Never had an issue.