Thread: Beginning to reload 22-250 wood like some advise

Default Beginning to reload 22-250 wood like some advise

I'm not very clear about full length sizing or just neck sizing...Is the RCBS competition 3 die set worth 3 times the price..anyone have a good load they would to share for coyotes..I would like to squeeze out every bit of accuracy from this gun/load combo, so I will probably buy a neck turner as well...any thoughts or suggestions will be appreciated...oh yeah I have a Savage 110 on the way which I have a Leopold 4x12 AO I'm going to stick on it...thnx

Good timing. I just walked back inside from shooting my 700 Remington in 22-250. I have been working on a load for the last few days and the one that shot the best was 53 gr. hp. match by Sierra. Some of the others I tried were 52 gr. Sierra, 50 and 55 gr. Hornady V-Max and 40 gr. Nosler BT. The best powder I have found so far has been H-380. My gun would not group with a light load in any powder I tried. As I started working up close to a max. load the groups got tighter with all the powders I tested. The load I settled with averaged 3666 fps. and produced about 3/4 inch groups. Another powder that done close to the H-380 was Varget. I used Federal match primers and Winchester brass. I also have a 6X18 Leupold on my gun. I have shot several groups in the 1/2 inch range with this gun. It has been hard working up a load with the weather we have been having lately, rain then wind 20 to 30 mph.

I use RCBS dies and only neck size for this gun. I started with new brass and trimed all to the same length. I have not had to trim any more and have loaded the brass three times so far. I am sure this gun will do better than it is now when I get more time to work with it some more. I also found this gun to do better with the bullet sitting about 0.010 off the lands.

My Encore likes 36 gr of Benchmark under a 50 gr Vmax. I use standard RCBS dies and just neck size. I fiddled with the seating depth and they shoot as good as I can hold.

I tried several different powders but Benchmark gave me the best group. If I had more opportunities to do a lot of shooting I would get a pound of CFE 223 and see how it works to reduce copper fouling, not that my barrel gets a lot of it, but every little bit that makes cleaning easier helps.

Mine is also a Savage, and it absolutely purrs with Speer 52 grain HP's on top of 37 grains of IMR-4320 with CCI 200 primers. We're talking MOP (Minute of Prairie Dog) at 400 yards and MOC (Minute of Coyote) a lot further. Just scary accurate and deadly. For some reason switching to the Speer 52 grain BTHP doubles groups size.

Thnx for the replies...it gives me a starting point

Quote Originally Posted by Oneriver View Post
    I'm not very clear about full length sizing or just neck sizing...Is the RCBS competition 3 die set worth 3 times the price..anyone have a good load they would to share for coyotes..I would like to squeeze out every bit of accuracy from this gun/load combo, so I will probably buy a neck turner as well...any thoughts or suggestions will be appreciated...oh yeah I have a Savage 110 on the way which I have a Leopold 4x12 AO I'm going to stick on it...thnx
    I use plain Jane Redding dies and have achieved excellent results. The opinions of folks that I value has been that neck turning your brass will increase accuracy but that the only folks that will realize this increase are competition benchrest shooters. I don't see any reason why you won't be able to approach 1/2MOA out of your new Savage using quality handloads. Most coyotes will succumb to that kind of accuracy.

Varget, IMR-4064, H-380 and IMR-3031 have worked well for me. My go to load is Speer 52gr HPs over Varget. I have had excellent reults with 50gr VMAX also and decent results with 55gr VMAX, 55gr Blitz, and 45gr Win HP.

You will be able to measure your bullet seating depth more accurately and establish your desired depth quicker with the Competition die. Honestly, that isn't that hard with a traditional seating die. I'd be more concerned with establishing how to push your shoulders back .020" each time you re-size.

Good Luck!

H-380 meters like mercury and has always worked well in my .22-250's. Buy Lee dies and use the money you save to buy bullets or powder or primers...they work just fine.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

My 22-250 favorite load is a 55 grain Combined Technologies balistic silver tip over 35 grains of Varget. I also find that light loads are not near as accurate as hotter loads.
    I prefer the Hornady dies with there bullet alignment sleeve. .22 caliber bullets can be a pain and this feature fixes it. For about $20 bucks you can purchase a Hornady micro adjust dial for your seating dies.

Get some plain dies and a neck die from www.ch4d.com so you only have to buy different bushings. Neck size fired cases until they are hard to chamber, then full length size.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...