Thread: Boat paint

Default Boat paint

I'd like to paint my boat this spring. It's an OLD Smokercraft and the paint is so chipped and worn out that I just can't stand to look at it any longer. From what I gather, I need a sort of epoxy type paint. Can anyone recommend a brand or type? Perhaps where to buy it and any application tips? I'd like something that can be sprayed on if possible.

Call CAC plastics in wasilla they have alot of options and info

Wasilla, AK

Default Been there done that!

Talk to the guys at Hi-Tech over on Lake Otis by Dowling. I repainted an old jet boat last winter. I used Zilatone and here is the process. You have to sand and strip the boat where all the loose paint is down to the aluminum. Then you spray the boat with an aluminum cleaner, then wash off with hot water. Then you use an aluminum conditioner that stains the aluminum and gets it ready for application. Then you spray the boat with an epoxy, careful stuff is nasty and I found out the hard way you can hardly get it out of your gun. Once the epoxy has cured for a specified time. I think it is between 24-48 hours. You have to apply the Zilatone during that time. Then let everything dry and setup well. And here is the kicker. IF you want the pain job to last and look 100% better spray the boat with two good coats of high quality clear coat. Hi-Tech has everything you will need.

Cheers and good luck. Fun project but you will be glad when you are done.

PM me and I will send you some pics of the process.

... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

Thanks for the info!