Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I Just bought a S&W 500....But....

Default I Just bought a S&W 500....But....

I just picked up a previously owned but unfired S&W 500 4" Barrel for $800 at our local
    gunshow. A great deal but was wondering your opion on what you would take on a
    land survey trip in a heavy Bear area. I have the following choices;

S&W 500 (350gr or 500gr bullets?)

S&W MDL 66 357 Magnum

IWI 45 ACP 10+1

Siaga 12GA. 7/8oz 1800fps Slugs

If your hands will be full and busy with gear, any long arm will be left behind and many yards away if you need it.

You have the 500 so carry it in a Diamond leather "guides model" chest holster ( works great with rain gear).

Remember in your area the bears will be moving down out of the hills in the spring and early summer on the search for fish and moose calves. Then as summer goes they will start moving back up river working the berry crop. You will have two periods of higher bear density depending on fish and berries.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Ray View Post
    If your hands will be full and busy with gear, any long arm will be left behind and many yards away if you need it.

You have the 500 so carry it in a Diamond leather "guides model" chest holster ( works great with rain gear).

Remember in your area the bears will be moving down out of the hills in the spring and early summer on the search for fish and moose calves. Then as summer goes they will start moving back up river working the berry crop. You will have two periods of higher bear density depending on fish and berries.
    Thanks again AKRay,
    Its also great you told me about the Holster as noone at the gunshow had a chest holster.
    I immediatly went online and have one on the way $160.00 plus shipping.

500 for sure and either round would be fine. Any of your choices could work with proper ammo
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Here are two experienced votes for the 500.......I was asking because I have seen others on the threads
    talk about the things I was concerned about.......a revolver with such a kick, how soon can you get an
    accurate second or third shot off? When I was planning on going in the Fall I was going to bring my
    45ACP as I can sqeeze off 3/4 rounds in a decent group in about 1.5 seconds. The 500 will take some
    getting used to like any new gun but wonder how much $2 a round ammo it will take to achieve the
    skills it would take to quickly draw your gun and put at least one shot on target in a split second.

Looks like I need to increase the 2012 ammo budjet and do some wrist and forearm exersizes!
    I also hope that the only time this gun is fired is for fun and training.

Thanks for your input Gentlmen.

I would rank them:

1> S&W 500 (350gr or 500gr bullets?)
    Ether round if hard cast lead will do, take what you shoot better, does no good if you cant hit with it and know you can hit with it.

2>Siaga 12GA. 7/8oz 1800fps Slugs
    With good hard slugs not soft deer slugs.
    Its #2 assuming you will have it on you when you need rather than leaning on a tree 30 foot away AND you have wrung out any possible feeding kinks the Saga may have (autos can be very ammo finicky) with the good slugs. Does you no good at all if you dont have it or it wont run when you need it too.

3>S&W MDL 66 357 Magnum.
    180g hard cast ammo as hot as you can find. You are into marginal land here with the biggest browns but well set for blacks, moose, and smaller browns.

4>IWI 45 ACP 10+1
    Not one Id pick for any browns but better than a sharp stick. Plenty with good ammo for man, moose, or blacks.

You will be very happy with that chest rig, Dave makes a heck of a good rig!!
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by tabmarine View Post
    Here are two experienced votes for the 500.......I was asking because I have seen others on the threads
    talk about the things I was concerned about.......a revolver with such a kick, how soon can you get an
    accurate second or third shot off? When I was planning on going in the Fall I was going to bring my
    45ACP as I can sqeeze off 3/4 rounds in a decent group in about 1.5 seconds. The 500 will take some
    getting used to like any new gun but wonder how much $2 a round ammo it will take to achieve the
    skills it would take to quickly draw your gun and put at least one shot on target in a split second.

Looks like I need to increase the 2012 ammo budjet and do some wrist and forearm exersizes!
    I also hope that the only time this gun is fired is for fun and training.

Thanks for your input Gentlmen.
    Once you get past common rounds like 9mm, 357, 45acp and into anything non police/military like 500, 454, 45Colt 44mag, you need to be reloading them yourself. Cost of reloading for a 500 isnt all that much different than for 45acp and you end up with way better ammo too, the ammo is just the way YOU want it.

For the price of a couple boxes of 500 you can buy the tools powder and primers and start to reload yourself. Around $150 will get you a Lee turret press kit and a set of dies, and they do a dandy job on straight wall handgun rounds like you list. You save a bunch and have a great time reloading, its as fun as shooting once get started.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Andy is right on but I'l add a mold and Lee sizer for a cheaper source of bullets.

I put many 100s of rounds through my .500 before I felt comfortable with it - and I've got decades of experience shoting magnum handguns. Shooting cast bullets cuts the costs of reloads drastically esp. if you can scrounge up some cheap or free lead.

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    Once you get past common rounds like 9mm, 357, 45acp and into anything non police/military like 500, 454, 45Colt 44mag, you need to be reloading them yourself. Cost of reloading for a 500 isnt all that much different than for 45acp and you end up with way better ammo too, the ammo is just the way YOU want it.

For the price of a couple boxes of 500 you can buy the tools powder and primers and start to reload yourself. Around $150 will get you a Lee turret press kit and a set of dies, and they do a dandy job on straight wall handgun rounds like you list. You save a bunch and have a great time reloading, its as fun as shooting once get started.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

My 686 is my favorite handgun but when in bear country I love having my 500 4" with me (in a chest holster). The recoil is not nearly as bad as people think it will be with the porting and the weight. They are a very nice gun and you simply have to put in the time at the range to get used to it. I had the range master at a local range ask me "what the he-- are you doing?" when I was practicing firing mine double action as quickly as I could. I simply told him I was practicing for what I might need to do with it. A few people want to bash the gun but I feel like anyone should carry what they like and can shoot with proficiency. I sure can't shoot well with some of the rifle calibers that lot's of guy's shoot!

I would rank them:

1> S&W 500 (350gr or 500gr bullets?)
    Ether round if hard cast lead will do, take what you shoot better, does no good if you cant hit with it and know you can hit with it.

2>Siaga 12GA. 7/8oz 1800fps Slugs
    With good hard slugs not soft deer slugs.
    Its #2 assuming you will have it on you when you need rather than leaning on a tree 30 foot away AND you have wrung out any possible feeding kinks the Saga may have (autos can be very ammo finicky) with the good slugs. Does you no good at all if you dont have it or it wont run when you need it too.

3>S&W MDL 66 357 Magnum.
    180g hard cast ammo as hot as you can find. You are into marginal land here with the biggest browns but well set for blacks, moose, and smaller browns.

4>IWI 45 ACP 10+1
    Not one Id pick for any browns but better than a sharp stick. Plenty with good ammo for man, moose, or blacks.

You will be very happy with that chest rig, Dave makes a heck of a good rig!!
    Thanks Andy,
    I have experimented with the Saiga and found that high velocity shells feed with no problem.
    1500fps or higher. Slower shells seem not to eject, hence causing the feed problem and a
    guy at the gunshow told me that the gas tube can be adjusted to compensate for the slower rounds

I have steered away from reloading simply because of my living situation. I am
    living on a houseboat that I am in the process of renovating so lots of tools and
    materials fill my small workshop onboard. Once cleared out hopefully
    by Summer I will be able to have the room to reload.

Quote Originally Posted by tvfinak View Post
    Andy is right on but I'l add a mold and Lee sizer for a cheaper source of bullets.

I put many 100s of rounds through my .500 before I felt comfortable with it - and I've got decades of experience shoting magnum handguns. Shooting cast bullets cuts the costs of reloads drastically esp. if you can scrounge up some cheap or free lead.
    Darn it.......I just took about 350lbs of lead sraps from a sound proofing we did on a Yacht
    to the scrap yard for beer money

Quote Originally Posted by AKBEE View Post
    My 686 is my favorite handgun but when in bear country I love having my 500 4" with me (in a chest holster). The recoil is not nearly as bad as people think it will be with the porting and the weight. They are a very nice gun and you simply have to put in the time at the range to get used to it. I had the range master at a local range ask me "what the he-- are you doing?" when I was practicing firing mine double action as quickly as I could. I simply told him I was practicing for what I might need to do with it. A few people want to bash the gun but I feel like anyone should carry what they like and can shoot with proficiency. I sure can't shoot well with some of the rifle calibers that lot's of guy's shoot!
    One of the things I do that has helped has been to hold weights in my exteded arm for 3/4
    minutes at a time while I am watching TV or something. Just doing this has helped the shakes
    and target aquisition alot.

12 ga, 1 oz slugs.
    You lost a lot with a 4" barrel, the thing can not support the case size or powder burn. It would work but only one shot before recoil gets you so far from a second the bear will use the front sight for a reamer you know where!

Quote Originally Posted by bfrshooter View Post
    12 ga, 1 oz slugs.
    You lost a lot with a 4" barrel, the thing can not support the case size or powder burn. It would work but only one shot before recoil gets you so far from a second the bear will use the front sight for a reamer you know where!
    Good point but the shorter barrel is for a quicker draw.....longer barrels are too awkward to
    pull out of a holster in a hurry. As far as the slug.....the reason is the velocity.....a 1oz vs 7/8oz
    is almost 400fps slower...speed equals penatration

Its settled...I will have the 500 on my chest, the saiga on my shoulder and playing
    a recording of Nancy Pelosi blasting through the forrest will keep any Bear away!

Default handy

The 4" barrel gives you options in carrying you just don't have with longer barrels. My 4" .500 is actually only slightly longer than my 4" Redhawk. While the large case in the short barrel which makes for a less efficent cartridge with a large muzzle flash you will still get respectiable velocities with heavy bullets.

Watch out for playing the Nancy recordings in the woods. Someone may mistake you for a fan of hers and shoot you OR the Fish and Game may get you for animal cruelity.

Quote Originally Posted by tabmarine View Post
    Good point but the shorter barrel is for a quicker draw.....longer barrels are too awkward to
    pull out of a holster in a hurry. As far as the slug.....the reason is the velocity.....a 1oz vs 7/8oz
    is almost 400fps slower...speed equals penatration

Its settled...I will have the 500 on my chest, the saiga on my shoulder and playing
    a recording of Nancy Pelosi blasting through the forrest will keep any Bear away!
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Quote Originally Posted by tvfinak View Post
    The 4" barrel gives you options in carrying you just don't have with longer barrels. My 4" .500 is actually only slightly longer than my 4" Redhawk. While the large case in the short barrel which makes for a less efficent cartridge with a large muzzle flash you will still get respectiable velocities with heavy bullets.

Watch out for playing the Nancy recordings in the woods. Someone may mistake you for a fan of hers and shoot you OR the Fish and Game may get you for animal cruelity.
    Yeah.....your right that sound of Nancy would be offensive to the whole ecosysystem. Very rude of me to
    subject this beautiful area to that whinney drivle for my own selfish Bear protection.

Quote Originally Posted by bfrshooter View Post
    12 ga, 1 oz slugs.
    Depends on who you are, how you shoot it, and how often you shoot it. With a 460V and 395g at 1400fps I can do 5 aimed on a plate at 10 in almost as fast as I can with my 45 Colt Blackhawk and I'm good with a single action . . . takes a long time to get to the tree where ya left the shotgun with a bear on your back.

As for loosing with the short barrel there is room to loose and still be way more powerful than any other 4 gun. I dont have a 500 but with 460 from a 5 my standard deal is that 395 at just over 1400fps, what other $1000 gun can shoot that bullet weight that fast and still be manageable? Just the other X-frame, a 500. Yea we know you dont like the X-frame but some of us have had superb experiences with the huge things!
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Just wondering why you asked the question since you bought the 500. Is it an investment and the bears were an after thought. I note your from Florida. The only bears I am aware of in your state are blackies. Living in NM awhile back I found that the 357 was enough to reliably kill black bear. So to answer your question anyone of the above if you are not going to be brown bear country. Otherwise practice practice and practice with the 500. Make sure you can engage any target in short order no matter what you carry. Usually time is of the essence when any bear is in an ugly mood. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by redale View Post
    Just wondering why you asked the question since you bought the 500. Is it an investment and the bears were an after thought. I note your from Florida. The only bears I am aware of in your state are blackies. Living in NM awhile back I found that the 357 was enough to reliably kill black bear. So to answer your question anyone of the above if you are not going to be brown bear country. Otherwise practice practice and practice with the 500. Make sure you can engage any target in short order no matter what you carry. Usually time is of the essence when any bear is in an ugly mood. Good luck.
    I have been looking at the 500 since I bought my property in Alaska. Our Black Bears are fairly small
    and pretty rare we have about 2000 in the whole State so it was not for them. I saw this 500 at
    the gunshow unfired in the box with everything including the registration card for a great price
    so I bought it.........I asked the question to get some differant opinions.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast