Thread: 20 Mile / Placer conditions?

Default 20 Mile / Placer conditions?

Anyone ridden Placer or 20-mile in the last few days? Would like to get out tomorrow but curious what conditions are like, esp. at 20-mile since only recently opened.
    Thanks!

I ment to make it down that way this weekend but never happend. I hear they got a bunch of snow.
    Has anyone been down there?

I was down there last friday (13th). It was pretty deep. I just rode the flats trying to stir up some ptarmigan. There were some open leads in the river about 5 miles back. There was also a machine that looked like it tried to waterskip or sunk in unknowing of the water below. It was abandoned when I went by... Haven't been back since then, but I woud imagine its still pretty good. See pic.IMG_0240.jpg

Don't like the sounds of having to leave a machine behind. I"ll pass on that on.

I think they had no choice, most people do not carry the equipment to retrieve a sled and let say they did and the people came back they would be accuse of trying to it. Most people donít have an extra place on there trailer are they going to leave the sled at the road or come back and get it. Let say they did how would they get a hold of the owner?

Here's a recent thread on backcountryrebels forum just about this situation when someone retrieves someone else's sled at Hatcher's pass.
    http://backcountryrebels.com/showthread.php?t=20090

Is it usually that sketchy down there, that you have to be worried about the river and overflow?

No it isn't bad. They are doing tours in Placer but it is DEEP!

The sled belongs to a friend of mine, he got it back the next day. I usually retreive them for the tour companies at about 200 ea depending if they are fully submerged (yes I get those out too!).

I'm gonna head down that way this weekend and hope I get a parking spot.