Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cut shells, anybody know anything about these?

Default Cut shells, anybody know anything about these?

might have to further test that, I wonder if it would, for one, be a good deer hunting or bear protection load, and 2, cycle through a semi auto. might be nice if you see a moose while duck hunting.

any of you older folks know about these? I wonder if a heavier shot would be better, such as No 2 or so.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3M46XVfVOU&feature=related
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

ah ya always gotta check the search......thanks
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

Dont tamper with yer ammo. you dont want the shot leaving the remains of the shell caseing if it blows through shell as planned by the manufacturer, and not get the remains out the barrel......untill the shooting of the second shot alerts you to the barrels obstruction. "BOOOM!" is the usual indicator with a long split down a sjhotgun barrel.

If you want Bear protection, use the #2 from as close as your willing to shoot, even repeatedly.
    My friend Boysa, back in the 90's blew away a 8 foot BrownBear waking up to him eating the Geese sitting outsifde the blind. He picked up his shot gun as the bear parted the willows he had piled up and dropped it dead with a throat shot and an exit the size of his fist. I saw that bear there myself, after he went home and told us, the range about three feet, all that #2 shot was still nearly a slug.

As well, one year I exploded a duck in mid air and we laughed, till I did it again, so, to see ***, I shot innto a far mud bank for 'pattern' and found 1/2 of all the shells had the steel shot rusted into 'slugs', simple from living by the Ocean, 50 feet away.....
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Yep it works...my Ol'man showed me this years ago out squirrel hunting....was sitting by a big ol pine waiting for the fellows to move and as we are waiting..a 6pt starts walking toward us...dad reached in his pocket, pulled out a 20ga shell and put it in the ol'spanish S/S. 15 yards...dead deer.

He later showed me how to do it and explained that even though the wad should clear the barrel...alwasy check after the shot...or you could end up with a banana barrel...lol

Just know your limits....I would not recommend it to anyone..
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

It works (I think I posted in that other thread) but could possibly pose some danger as Stranger said. Probably not the best of options, but I have seen the damage done by a cut 3" 12 ga. shell loaded with BB, and it was substancial.

would it cleanly take a deer if shot in the ribs (still in the lungs but not through the shoulder blade) if you have to use it? or does it blow up inside the ribs most of the time and not kill it very cleanly? the video was cool, none the less.

I would think there would be a substansil increase in pressure, when using this method.
    It would be a lot safer to carry a couple of slugs, if you think you'll need them. Though I don't think you'd be wanting to change loads with a griz @ 3'. At 3', I think whatever is iin the chamber would get'r'done.
    Also from the looks of the shell case & wad (in the video), you're only getting the shot doing any of the penetration, when it strikes the target, looks like the plastic parts would be left behind

Well shotguns were my forte for many years and I say don't try this at home. First a shell case is larger than the bore of even a cylinder barrel and plastic fouling will be alot. Note that his shots did not blow holes through the backer as slugs would.His sinker slugs are just stupid dangerous with the very soft lead and may blow up your gun like I did at a very young age. This info is passed down paper shell felt wad knowledge of old and is nothing like plastic shell results.He claims slugs are new but in fact I've owned many a gun from the 1880's called shot and ball guns that used slugs workable for African use as intended.Shotgun are the worst of if things are repeated long enough they become fact. Everyone need to try and stick a shotshell in the muzzel of their gun and then try to understand what could happen
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Those are a relic of a bygone time...and best left there.

The information in the video is only partially correct... the shotgun slug certainly pre-dates 1931 by a long margin. The modern "Brenneke" slug was invented in 1898 and that was just an improvement over solid round balls..ie "punkin' balls" that had been around for as long as there's been gunpowder. Terminal performance will not equal that of a slug...so expect less than stellar penetration.

Do a quick search on "Paradox guns" from the late 1800s...made to shoot shot and solid balls and they were quite popular in their day.

The 1931 date is the patenting of the "Foster" slug...itself just a variation on a theme in slug design.

A "cut shell" predates a couple of improvements in gun design...namely plastic hulls and smokeless gunpowder in shotshells. Both of which make it somewhat dangerous for all the reasons below.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Before the advent ogf the bore sealing , rifle engauging Minie' Ball, which revolutionized the somewhat innacurate smooth bore musket into a rifle with a very stable bullet that could be pounded down a fouled bore, and still engauge the rifleling by opening its hollowed base's 'skirt' , expanding to engauge the rifleing under the pressuer of the burning powder. Soon , every Army in the world was using such.

Before the Minie' Ball, the standard load was "Buck n Ball" often tamped with 6 balls over a round 'almost' bore sized ball of lead. It simple increased the chances of hitting "Anything" past 60 yards.

I had a buddy who claimed he did it when he'd be out duck hunting and the birds would start rafting up several hundred yards away. I've never done it, never really had the urge to, either.

The idea just strikes me as being the same as giving a 4 year old child a box of strike anywhere matches to play with.
    Can it be done? Sure.
    Can it be done safely? You gotta be kidding.
    Maybe the only reason there haven't been any negative comments from folks that have tried this (or know someone that has done it) is simply because they either didn't survive the experiment or were afraid they'd look like a dunce for admiting that they had done it and caused the barrel to explode.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    The idea just strikes me as being the same as giving a 4 year old child a box of strike anywhere matches to play with.
    Can it be done? Sure.
    Can it be done safely? You gotta be kidding.
    Maybe the only reason there haven't been any negative comments from folks that have tried this (or know someone that has done it) is simply because they either didn't survive the experiment or were afraid they'd look like a dunce for admiting that they had done it and caused the barrel to explode.

I've seen it done. The barrel didn't explode. I just wouldn't do it and wouldn't let him do it while he was duck hunting with me.

Quote Originally Posted by DucksAndDogs View Post
    I've seen it done. The barrel didn't explode. I just wouldn't do it and wouldn't let him do it while he was duck hunting with me.
    Im one of those experimenters, Though its been a long while.......I havent seen a cut Shotgun shell destroy a a gun, I have seenwhat happend when a wad didnt get out from the "Poof", and they guy cycled the action asasp (we were Geese hunting) he bulged his barrel very noticable. Almost did the same with an AK, but just recyled the bolt and saw powder spill through the air with the case, so I stopped, bullet was driven 1/2 down the barrel with primer power alone. Chines 7.62X39 that time.

Seem .308 shot through a 30-06, but didnt discover what was wrong after trying to get it to fire by the guys boat, then I removed his taped down , jacked with a nail scope and read "30-06 " on the barrel.
    I went back to the boat and found these.

30-06 through a 3-06 made it a fine rifle rifle again (woohoo! M-70 Winchesters)and they completed their Seal Hunt with it.

.22LR shot through a .22mag is often used ina pinch...split cases, and not very accurate, but it works.

Hmmmmmm, Ive fire 7.62X54 through an 8 X56 Straight pull Styer M-95 carbine, but was enlightend by resized brass and bad accuracy, the cartriges look very simular.

Once bought a 30-06 1917 Enfeild from a guy who declaerd it "A World war One M-16, shoots "Both" kinda ammo, , .270 and .243...."
    Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm??!!!!!
    So, when I got home ,because I couldnt see through its obstruction and with a rod knocked out a 30-06 Soulder and neck, with a .270 W upper 1/4th brass case melded into the 30-06 shoulders and both atop a whole .243W case.......
    Juni told me when the .270 rounds wouldnt fit, the .243w did just fine........... untill the last one wouldnt extract. I wish I had a picture, but I lost the **** thing the same day if I remember correct. The extractor must have held the case well enough for the firing pin to do its thang proper and the bullts bounce on down that barrel..... ~~LOL!!~~ I still have that rifle too, and its a great back up rifle, just gots to buy expensive ammo (around here) to feed it.....

Thats insane but true!
    I am of the same thought as "Do what you want, die if you want, just not in my house "

My dad told me that VietNamese communistsis woud dissassemble American 7.62X51 and reload 7.62X39 for SKS and AKs and 7.62X54r for the Mosin Carbines with powder, primer and bullet into their own. I guess he had once seen a "reloaders" box among things they would fly out after a battle in the Chinook he was in, and he knew what he was looking at, so I belive em.

As well I have a couple .357 Mags that we shoot .38 special, .38 S&W, A Nagant Pistol that shoots 7.62X38 nagant, .32 S&W, .32 Long Colt too......., as well as a single shot 410, with a barrel that has an Outside diameter of a 12 gauge, and a .410 bore, so there a chunk of steel at the chamber end, and we shoot .410 3 inch, .410 2-3/4's .444marlin, .44 Magnum, .44 Russian, .44 S&W,.45 Long Colt, as well as 45-70 too.

I dont screw around with possible barrel obstructions or altering charges or bullet shapes, Im all for accureacy, but sometime, some day there may not be alotta ammo to chgoose from.

Invest in .22LR now, while you can.

I'll leave the debate about whether a shotgun exploded or not due to a "cut shell" up to the folks who've seen one go. I saw a shotgun barrel split when I was in college from a couple of drama students attempting to load a "blank". Don't know how they did it but the components were the same as a regular round minus the shot and cup and the end result was a badly blown out shotgun barrel. Apparently they fired several before the "one that broke the camel's back" went off.

Whether a shotgun will withstand the "cut shell" treatment is kinda beside the point to me....the point is there really isn't a compelling reason to do it to start with- slugs and shotshells (and blanks for that matter) are all readily available in a dizzying array of variety to any shoot any game on earth you might want to shotgun.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Quote Originally Posted by strangerinastrangeland View Post

.22LR shot through a .22mag is often used ina pinch...split cases, and not very accurate, but it works.
    I have always wondered if you could shoot a 22lr through a 22 mag. now I know.

a lot of interesting info from everybody.

I'm not saying that ALL gun barrels WILL explode, I'm saying that at some time with some gun, it DID explode. A person can fire above max loads thru any rifle/gun and not have a problem. But it can and will cause a burst barrel, somewhere along the line.

I was thinking about this today (read it the other night). Doesn't a modern shotgun barrel, step down in diameter just past the chamber, matching size with the shot cup? I would think this is forcing the plastic hulled shell through a very tight bore, and sounds like a great way to blow ones face off.

It may have been necessary in the old days, but a box of slugs is definitely cheaper than a glass eye.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast