Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dog trainer in the MatSu Valley

Default Dog trainer in the MatSu Valley

I'm still fairly new to Alaska and am just getting started hunting here. I have a 2 year old black lab but need to get her some training. I was training her when I was in the lower 48 up until she was a year old. She was doing well, but I was in NM and could walk her just a few blocks and we would be in the sage brush where she could work on quail. Just before I moved up here it was bird season and 3 days before the opener she went into heat. And unfortunately, everyone I hunt with has male labs. After getting here I just haven't been able to work her like I probably should.

I know she needs force fetch training. She has the basics down still, and can find anything in the woods, but when she finds it she picks it up, looks at me like "look what I found" and then drops it and runs back to me.

So here's what I'm asking, do you have recommendations on who I could contact to work with? I'd love to hear your experiences of trainers. I've seen a number around here, but experiences of others can tell a lot about any buisness.

Scooter

I'm sure you will get lots of help from this forum. I highly recommend you contact Baron Rea of
    www.wetlandretrievers.net . He helped my wife and I get my lab Nitro started. I also recommend reading Water Dog by By Richard A. Wolters.

Good luck,

Baron will tell you he will be out of state the next few months and that may become a perminant move. For force fetch, go on one of the retriever training dog online stores and order a dvd by Even Graham on force fetching. Follow it and your dog will be force fetched. Also look up the RCA, Retriever Club of Alaska, website. In Feb they start their training program. There is some cost for this since they are renting a indoor facility Sat mornings to hold it in, but well worth it, both beginner and transition groups, all the info is on RCA website, all are welcome and it will be cheap. I expect I will be there. Bud
    Wasilla

Welcome to Alaska and to the Valley. If you are looking for resources for do it yourself training I invite you to join our club. By doing so you will have access to our club library that has a variety of resources for you to utilize. Visit our website www.msgda.org and click on the club library link to view our resources. You can also contact any of our club sponsors to inquire about training services.

Thanks for the input everyone. I had been given Baron's name and now I think I will be giving him a call. Hopefully his absense doesn't remain permanent. If so, I may persue one of the DIY methods.
    @bnkwnto - I have already read water dog and bird dog. Bird Dog is what I used to base most of my initial training on.

@MSGDA - thanks for the invite, I will be checking it out

Scooter

Kink Alaska surrounded by sled dog kennels, a fabulous view and lots of hunting.

I sent you a private message too but I have a Labradoodle (rescued not purchased on purpose:-) who may be at about your dog's level. He's doing yard drills and sight blinds. The training groups don't really have the atmosphere he needs being a soft, A.D.D. , special needs dog. We do short 20 -30 min training sessions so it's not an all day commitment. I have frozen birds.

Quote Originally Posted by scooterhldn View Post
    Thanks for the input everyone. I had been given Baron's name and now I think I will be giving him a call. Hopefully his absense doesn't remain permanent. If so, I may persue one of the DIY methods.
    @bnkwnto - I have already read water dog and bird dog. Bird Dog is what I used to base most of my initial training on.

@MSGDA - thanks for the invite, I will be checking it out

Scooter
    I used Baron to force my dog-- worked very well.

I am training two right now a pup so very entry level and still working with my two year old --(she got a late start due to some work obligations so only got basic obedience for the first year with some retriever work) she is well on her way in the formal stuff but man oh man as Wolters said start them early so you do not have to break bad habits.

I would be interested in getting together with you some to train. Always nice to have someone assist with marks and such, plus just nice to continue the socialization of both man and beast.

I would recommend the following if you love to read about training like I do. i am blending these books for the pup and seems to be working out fine. Just wish I was not so cold so we could work outside more.

Let me Know if you interested -- maybe we could get a group going, sound like Linda might be up for a small group.

Gun Dog
    10 min retriever

@Linda, guess my post count isn't high enough yet to receive or send PM's yet. But I would be interested in working with others.

@Moose&Duck, I would be interested in doing some training. It would have to be on the weekends as I commute to the valley and don't get home in time to do much in the evening. I used Gun Dog the first year with my lab, Keira, and it worked very well for her. I think Keira's training level is pretty close to your two year old. Maybe some of your experience working with Baron can help me with Keira. Send me an email and we will work out a plan scooter_hldn@msn.com

Scooter

I am planning to work on my Griffon's retriever skills (marking, blinds, honoring etc) this spring/summer and would be interested in some group work. I live in Palmer. I am not a pro but have trained a few dogs including two retrievers...I have thrown many many birds and bumbers and I am willing to throw more if others would throw for me and my dog. It takes a few bodies once you get into the marking drills. I have a couple dozen bumbers and homing pigeons that I can share.

I'd also be very interested in getting together to train on the weekends. I have a 4 month old silver lab and he's a ball of energy that needs more training. Please message me if you were to get this up and going. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Moose&Duck_Hunter View Post
    I used Baron to force my dog-- worked very well.

I am training two right now a pup so very entry level and still working with my two year old --(she got a late start due to some work obligations so only got basic obedience for the first year with some retriever work) she is well on her way in the formal stuff but man oh man as Wolters said start them early so you do not have to break bad habits.

I would be interested in getting together with you some to train. Always nice to have someone assist with marks and such, plus just nice to continue the socialization of both man and beast.

I would recommend the following if you love to read about training like I do. i am blending these books for the pup and seems to be working out fine. Just wish I was not so cold so we could work outside more.

Let me Know if you interested -- maybe we could get a group going, sound like Linda might be up for a small group.

Gun Dog
    10 min retriever

jcsnoball:

sent you a PM.

So it looks as though we may have a group here to train with. Any thoughts of when we could meet up? I know the weather is still a big factor, but to at least get the dogs introduced (and the owners) and get them out a bit. I'm in Wasilla, how about the rest of you?

Quote Originally Posted by scooterhldn View Post
    So it looks as though we may have a group here to train with. Any thoughts of when we could meet up? I know the weather is still a big factor, but to at least get the dogs introduced (and the owners) and get them out a bit. I'm in Wasilla, how about the rest of you?
    I am in Eagle River. Also might be good to see what the ages and experience level of the dogs are kinda where we are in training. Not that anyone should be excluded but I know that jcsnoball has a 4 month old pup so the training needs for him will be different than say a two year old learning to not cheat

I have two -- a two year old that I started late with due to job interferance. She is marking, casting and handles at the C level right now-- tremendous progress this winter but needs to go to the next level. A group would be great for her as she needs to learn to HONOR-- thinks all ducks and bumpers are for her.

The other is just a pup-- coming along nicely fetching, sit, stay are pretty well set really working on here. Would be great to have her with dogs learning to honor and more socialization from the beginning.

Lets do this-- I am busy this weekend for the most part but might be able to sneak an hour or so for a meet and greet and to plan some stratagy on a training plan for when we actually do meet. Maybe we could alternate the location since we are all spread out that way we all drive some.

Great to see this happening

PM you back. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by jcsnoball View Post
    PM you back. Thanks.
    did not get one sent you another pm with another way to get in touch with me.

I'd be interested in getting together with your group too. My pup may be too young to start to work with you guys but if you don't mind I would like to bring her along just to get her more socialization. I'd like to learn from your experiences, to get a few more ideas on what I need to do to train her. She is a 9 week old chessy and is just learning to sit on command. Still does not do it everytime so I still have to remind her with a little press on the rump. If I have her attention she will do it everytime. I'd be happy to help throw bumpers and whatever else you would need from a second person. Let me know if I'd be able to tag along....even with a young pup. Thanks

I think we should do this-- how about Saturday. Lets start the process now so we can iron out the details by Saturday. I am sure you are all busy just as I am but if we do not do this we never will. Can be quick just let the pups/dogs get to know one another work out some ideas for training -- how we would train together so that all benifit-- depending on the age set do a little training even if it is just obediance and plan another round-- sounds fun. I am sure that all our pups need this -- i know mine does -- she is doing great by herself but with others I am sure she will not be as attentive.

Thoughts

Almost forgot when you reply -- post where you are.

Sounds good to me. I'm free Saturday. It will be good for my pup too. I'm in Palmer but willing to go wherever.

I have might be able to attend on Saturday, depending on time. Best for me in the morning. Snow conditions are kinda tough for serious training but a meet and greet "walk in the woods" with a few tidbits might be good.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast