Thread: snow weight

Default snow weight

Sorry I did not know where to post this but how much down loosely packed snow weight per cubic foot?

Quote Originally Posted by elim View Post
    Sorry I did not know where to post this but how much down loosely packed snow weight per cubic foot?
    It's highly variable depending on several factors. Could be anywhere from a couple pounds to upwards of 20.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

yeah....you have to weigh it to find out. Snow varies, and "loosely packed" is incredibly arbitrary, the snow on top is much looser than the snow on te bottom. use a shovel, put your snow in a kitchen garbage can or a cardboard box. put it on a scale, do the math, if you are really concerned with the weight.

if you can find a weather station somewhat representative of your location then look for the SWE chart (snow water equivalent), which will tell you how many inches of water the snowpack is equivalent to, then you can calculate the weight, but the station has to be fairly representative of your site.

guessing you're worried about a roof?

If it's your roof you're worried about here are a couple of links with info for calculating snow loads:
    http://courses.cit.cornell.edu/arch2...2.3/index.html
    http://www.ehow.com/how_6144596_calc...now-loads.html