Thread: Pike fishing raft trip

Default Pike fishing raft trip

I was wondering if anyone has gone on a trip or knows of one were I can get out of town and do a little pike fishing.

i haven't been personally, but hear that minto flats is where to go for big pike. it can be accessed off the nenana i believe, although you'd probably need a motorboat to get yourself there to that point. the yukon as well, but i'm not sure of any specific locations (which i realize probably doesn't help you much). man, i'd love to hook into a 40+ incher in my packraft.

let me know what you find out. thanks.

As a matter of fact, I can tell you a great place to go rafting and pike fishing. Float moose creek down to the Deshka river. I floated that a few years ago with my son and we slayed the pike with a bow and arrow. Lots of hammer handles in there, but there are also some good sized ones. Check out all the little sloughs and back eddies that break away from the main channel. Also look for places like beaver dams. Especially the ones that are shallow and weedy. Some people might get mad at me for openly sharing the info on the forum, but I don't mind sharing the info, because I encourage anybody to go in there and kill the pike. They are ruining the salmon and trout fisheries in SC in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    As a matter of fact, I can tell you a great place to go rafting and pike fishing. Float moose creek down to the Deshka river. I floated that a few years ago with my son and we slayed the pike with a bow and arrow. Lots of hammer handles in there, but there are also some good sized ones. Check out all the little sloughs and back eddies that break away from the main channel. Also look for places like beaver dams. Especially the ones that are shallow and weedy. Some people might get mad at me for openly sharing the info on the forum, but I don't mind sharing the info, because I encourage anybody to go in there and kill the pike. They are ruining the salmon and trout fisheries in SC in my opinion.
    where do you catch moose creek at? and where can you take out?

You put in off the oilwell road accessed from petersville road, just north of Trapper's creek. The take out is at the mouth of Deshka. You can get picked up at the mouth for about $100. I can't remember the name of the guy who works at Deshka landing who does the pick ups. I will try to find out for you. He is a real nice guy.

Thanks for the information. I'm going to have to look into that.

Not an Alaska thing but if you are willing to do a little travel trip check out the Dease River Yukon /BC Cassier Hgwy.

Can be broken down into road float are something special 10-12 days if you feel like pulling out on the Liard. Remote or Hwgy both are a viable option sad to say it is 12-14 hours away but well worth the trip with a little research.

If you wish for some real work look at floating the Tolvona and out into Minto when the Tolvona and Chatinika Meet you are floating through the Minto area. Please if you choose this check on Native Lands and acces and take out points. It is a true commitment float and requires some map reading IMO kicker motor is the way to go just in case.

You could also check into having someone drop you off up Dall River and float back to the Yukon and out to the Bridge.

Best of luck with whatever venture you choose.

concur with Moose creek for pike.

Wild Lake and float the Wild River back to Bettles for some great pike fishing and fun kayak, small canoe or packraft float. Lakers in the lake as well.

however, DO NOT do the Tolovana from the Elliott Hwy. Moose, no offense bud, but I've done this trip and it has some great pike fishing lower down toward the Chatanika, but the upper stretch is choked with feld blowdowns and cutting your way through it requires more than a simple approach. Allow 3-4 days of cutting and portages over and through trees unless some unlucky soul beets you downstream from the Hwy an blazes an open route (unlikely).

A better approach would be access from the West Fk Tolovana, float from the road to the mainstem and out to minto. Once you make it in to the plethera of lake systems, better have a GPS to aid your travel to the Minto boat launch. Flow flattens and slows, and the river current bleeds into the windy lake systems, so you never really feel like you're on a river, and you can easily get turned off course. Unless you have experience with navigating and brush thumping, leave this one to the wilds. it would be best to just go to Minto and frog hop the lake systems for some really good pike fishing.

larry

No worries it is a commitment trip and no offense taken. I have cut many a tree in there heck just walking next to the river is a commitment. Your points are valid and the area is confusing. Thanks for pointing out and clarifying several points of the suggestion. Sometimes I forget not everone is crazy like me. Have a great day!

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    You put in off the oilwell road accessed from petersville road, just north of Trapper's creek. The take out is at the mouth of Deshka. You can get picked up at the mouth for about $100. I can't remember the name of the guy who works at Deshka landing who does the pick ups. I will try to find out for you. He is a real nice guy.
    Mr. Jack might be thinking of Larry Heater who will also pick you up at the Deshka and lives at Deshka Landing.
    His number is in the phone book.

Anyone know the amount of time it takes to do the moose creek trip? I don't want to blow right through but it's not that easy getting time off in the spring and summer.

Have you considered a trip from Alexander Lake down to the mouth? Drop off by plane and pick up at the mouth. Several air charters do it with equipment and all including Trail Ridge Air. It's a good four day trip.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Woodsman View Post
    Mr. Jack might be thinking of Larry Heater who will also pick you up at the Deshka and lives at Deshka Landing.
    His number is in the phone book.
    I can't remember the name of the guy. I was going to ask a friend of mine at work who knows him but I forgot. It is somebody who lives at Deshka landing in the summer. Just call down to Deshka landing and ask for a number. That is what I did. I think it is either Ron or Larry or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Akworkandfish View Post
    Anyone know the amount of time it takes to do the moose creek trip? I don't want to blow right through but it's not that easy getting time off in the spring and summer.
    Depends on how many hours a day you spend in the boat. It is about 60 river miles long. On average you will probably be making only about 2-3 miles per hour, because the gradient is very shallow. So by rough estimation it will take you about 20-30 hours to float. If you travel 6 hours a day, you could do it in 3-5 days. If you travel 10-12 hours a day, you could probably make it over a three day weekend. Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Akworkandfish View Post
    The water level makes a huge difference on this float! I have completed the whole thing in two days one time and the next it was 3 days of hell and just made it past the fork! (about half way)
    -JR