Thread: Kowa Optics

Default Kowa Optics

Just curious to see if anyone owns or uses Kowa binoculars or spotting scopes. I have an opportunity to buy both at a pretty good deal and I'm trying to adjust my optics situation a little. I believe they're good glass but I was wondering about rugged dependability, ease of use and what not. Right now my top choice would be a set of Leica's but they're not really in the budget at the moment and I'd like to get some of this new gear pinned down and used before the hunting season. I looked through a Kowa spotting scope about 10 years ago and I still believe it was some of the finest glass I've ever looked through.

Default Kowa binos

I have Kowa Binos. I think for 500 dollars they are a great deal. I have the BD series.
    Below are the ones I have:
    http://kowa-prominar.com/product/bino/bd42/index.htme
    They aren't as good as Leica but for a quality optic I'm impressed by mine. (I've only used them one season so far so take my review with a grain of salt)

I think that must have been the ones I looked at. If their glass on the binoculars is like their spotting scopes they should be pretty good. What do you think of their durability? Do they seem like they would hold up? I'll probably have to check em out more when I get home. Thanks

They seem durable to me, did well on my sheep hunt.

I have no experience with Kowa optics.

I know you didn't ask, but I wouldn't trade my Swarovski binos for anything. Again, you didn't ask, but I suggest you save up for the binos YOU REALLY want. You won't be disappointed if you do. Quality optics are a long term investment because they last for years (maybe your lifetime) and they hold there value. I bought my Swazis used for $800 about 6 years ago and now those binos sell for about $1,500 new. Point being, I could sell mine today for more than I paid for them 6 yrs ago. I also have a Leupold spotting scope that is worth as much or more today than what I paid for it 12 yrs ago. Like I said, quality optics hold there value and can be viewed as long term investments. Anyway, best of luck getting the optics you really want.

Bob Hodson put Kowa optics in his shop, Barney's Sports Chalet in Anchorage. He still works hard at putting the best gear in his shop and plenty of hunt fanatics trapse in and out of his shop year around because of it. It probably is possible to buy gear that isn't terrific in that shop, but I think over the last 6, 8 or 20 years, you have to wait awhile to do so.

Anyway, I guess that's a long-winded, "no" - for whether I own or use Kowa, but I have been scheming how I can justify a new spotter to the Boss at my house. A lot. Good luck.
    PS - who's selling them?