Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Everything about Hyder AK

Coldstark

Default Everything about Hyder AK

I'm a new member, retired Army and looking to make Hyder AK my retirement home. I'm very interested in learning about hunting opportunities, methods, recommendations and your experiences hunting and living in the Hyder/Misty Fiords area. Please feel free to add anything of value or note to this thread. Thanks! Coldstark

You will want a good boat/cabin in the twentytwo to thirty foot range with a skiff and kicker mortor makeing the sky the limit. One of the few places in the SE you can drive out of. Figure you will be spending alot of money shopping in Canada so stay up on the exchange rate or carry canadian money when shopping. If you don't mind talking with really old folks give Kingfisher a shout.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I've been to Hyder several times. Have you spent any time there? If so, what time of year? Do you plan to live there year around?

Watch out you don't get Hyderized!

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    If you don't mind talking with really old folks give Kingfisher a shout.

Hey, that remark resembles me.

Funny, but I have never been to Hyder. It was a place I had all wanted to check out but never made it. It was handy with they used to run one of the ferries there and I still didn't take advantage of it now it isn't practical unless you drive in from the Canuck side.

If you like black bear hunting it should be really good. Drove down through the Cassiar Highway and into Prince Rupert this summer. The Stewart/Hyder turnoff area had more black bear than I have ever seen in S.E., and that was just driving through. Can only imagine the Hyder coast area is loaded too.
    Even a jackass won't stumble on the same stone twice.

Do you know how much snow there is in Hyder right now ?

probably between 10 and 15 feet right now.

The exchange rate really doesn't matter ... when you live on the C $ ... the only place in Hyder that will not take C $'s is the Post Office. The bank is in Stewart and is open part time or it's banking via long distance in Ketchikan.

Hyder is not really in the Misty .. the Misty boundary is South down the Canal a little ways. The Portland Canal is 100+ miles long and is a wind funnel. It can kick it up fast and have Canal winds for days. Anchorages along the US side of the Canal are few and far between.

Not much hunting in Hyder as there is a hunting closure out to 9 mile ... the border is at 12 mile. No Deer or Moose in the area to speak of. Deer are down at the mouth of the Canal but density is low. Mt Goat live along the Canal but hiking up from sea-level is to get to them is extream ... There is not much for grass flats along the Canal as much of it is shear cliff to tide water. Black and Brown Bear live along the Canal. There is a Black bear sealer in Hyder but you must travel to Ketchikan to get a Brown Bear sealed by the Dept.

Travel from Ketchikan is expensive. Over $1000 (one way) charter airplane or about $250 on the mail plane. The mail is delivered twice a week weather permitting. Via water to ketchikan is over 200 miles and you must negotiate the Dixon Entrance which is famous for bad water. The reason you see very few boats from Ketchikan traveling to Hyder. The only fuel in Hyder is over in Stewart at C $'s high pump price. Around $6 a gallon.

Most people in Hyder do shopping in Terrace BC over 200 road miles away. Hyder has a little general store with limited goods. Stewart has limited groceries and the hardware and drug stores closed recently. If you have problem's crossing into Canada Hyder can be tough to live in. Depends on who is working the BC border station crossing can be a pain in the arse or sometimes they just wave you through. There is some limited shopping in Stewart. But Stewart is just a skeleton of itself compared to the mining booms of the past. A small Gold boom is going on now on the BC side.

They will pave Hyder this next season and it will change the town ....

Stewart has very limited medical so Ketchikan is the choice or drive to Seattle.

Very little economy in Hyder ... the tourist season is short and the type of tourists that come there are low $ spenders. Older motor home types.

Pet owners in Hyder must be very careful because of the Bear. You must use lots of caution when walking the dog or going for a jog.

Bottom fishing is very poor at the head of the Canal but it is good down at the lower end and out in the Dixon Entrance. There is spring King action down the Canal and some years the Salmon River has good Dollie, Dog and Silver runs. You can travel up to the Cassiar Hwy and fish the Canadian lakes and rivers.

Snowmobiling is world class and people from all over come there for that activity.

I have Guided hunts out of Hyder on and off for about 20 years.

Dang Muskeg you make it sound perfect aaaaaaaa
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Dang Muskeg you make it sound perfect aaaaaaaa

I am glad Muskeg said all of that because like the OP, I too am moving to SE AK when I retire in a few years. I did a fair amount of research into the Hyder area because I liked the idea of being able to drive in/out. Unfortunately, I learned that all the issues listed in Muskeg's post are true and I ruled this area out for those reasons and since Muskeg spelled it out so well (and better than I could have), I don't need to. The downside to all this is that Muskeg is going to have a new neighbor since I have decided on the big island and I doubt he will be very excited to learn about that

Hyder is a special place ... I love it ...

critrgitr .... do you want me to post all I know about Prince of Wales as per retirement plans ..... on second thought I don't have that kind of time right now. I could write a book .......

Stay away from Wrangell it sucks here big time.

Stay away from Wrangell it sucks here big time.
    No worries there Will. Wrangell is about 6th on my list so you are safe. Petersburg was #1 for a while but now I am going to live next door to Muskeg - my beard is slowly turning the same color as his so I will fit in better there.

Petersburg is nice if your family line goes back to Norway.

I would live in Hyder before Petersburg.

Quote Originally Posted by alaskanap View Post
    I would live in Hyder before Petersburg.
    I hear the scenery is fine in Hyder but I prefer to fish and hunt.

I do too. Thats why I live in Wrangell.

Wes just posted this on his Facebook page .... Hyder has had 25 feet of snow so far .... you are looking at the second story balcony .... even the first floor store part is up some stairs !!!!

Petersburg is nice if your family line goes back to Norway.
    Or marry a squarehead. When I got married, I became related to 95% of the town. My wife jokes she only married me because I was the only guy in town she wasn't related to. I love Petersburg, but it can be a strange town. Soon as I married in though, the benefits spread to the whole family. All the sudden random people would just stop and plow my parent's driveway. Or we'd get buried in all the gifts of smokes blackcod and pickled anything.
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

Ah, Hyder. Yes, I've been Hyderized. You only do that once in your life, but got the card! And Wrangell, I spent a lot of winters there. Probably know you Wrangell folks. Not sure Hyder would ever be on my list of places. Just not enough room to move. People are great, though, and when I was there, the Canadians provided the police department, which was cool. If I were to want to retire to SE, I would go to Warm Springs Bay or Tenakee. Sitka might be okay if you can find something a ways out of town.

If being able to drive in and out is a priority, then you have very few choices in SE.

Claude
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast