Thread: Wooldridge Super Sport Drifter SJ?

Default Wooldridge Super Sport Drifter SJ?

OK, I think I made my decision to buy an Wooly SSD. I am having a hard time deciding on the jet. I read a lot of the other posts about IB, OB and SJ. But I think I have a different question.

I talked a bit to the Wooldridge guys and they said they would be willing to build a Super Sport Drifter with a SJ if I was interested. Here are my 2 main concerns.

#1 I know the Wooldridge guys are great at what they do, but does anyone think it is risky for the first install of a SJ on that boat? I read TJM's posts about his XL SJ and it sounds like they nailed it on the first try. They should be able to do it again right? Is there anything about the SSD hull that won't make it perform as well as the XL SJ hull?
    OK,
    #2 - I plan on keeping this boat for a long time - probably until someone buries me in it - at least 30 to 40 years from now hopefully. Do you guys think there could be any problems with re-powering/repairs/maintenance down the road a few years (5,10,20 or something)? I mean, once the hull is cut/built for the SJ, what happens when something goes wrong? Are there any forecasts on how long Merc will build/support the SJ?

I guess that's why I am still leaning to an OB. I know the fuel usage goes way up, but heck, re-powering is as easy as it gets. I guess my gamble is, all the money I spend in fuel vs. re-power costs somewhere down the road (maybe way down the road.)

Anyway - any thoughts will be appreciated. Hopefully this is at least a little different of a question for an old, probably worn out, discussion.

Oh - one more question. How about freezing? I goose hunt a lot - in freezing temps with the boat. Any differences with a SJ vs an OB when it comes to water freezing? Are they both easy to drain to prevent damage?

Thanks.

First issue would be what size boat are you having built? How much gear (pounds) do you plan on carrying? Once this is decided you can figure out if the SJ motor will have the power you need. As far as something going wrong, any good welder can add, cut, etc down the road if the need is there. But I would bet your needs change way before 40 years

Quote Originally Posted by DelawareRiver View Post
    OK, I think I made my decision to buy an Wooly SSD. I am having a hard time deciding on the jet. I read a lot of the other posts about IB, OB and SJ. But I think I have a different question.

I talked a bit to the Wooldridge guys and they said they would be willing to build a Super Sport Drifter with a SJ if I was interested. Here are my 2 main concerns.

#1 I know the Wooldridge guys are great at what they do, but does anyone think it is risky for the first install of a SJ on that boat? I read TJM's posts about his XL SJ and it sounds like they nailed it on the first try. They should be able to do it again right? Is there anything about the SSD hull that won't make it perform as well as the XL SJ hull?
    OK,
    #2 - I plan on keeping this boat for a long time - probably until someone buries me in it - at least 30 to 40 years from now hopefully. Do you guys think there could be any problems with re-powering/repairs/maintenance down the road a few years (5,10,20 or something)? I mean, once the hull is cut/built for the SJ, what happens when something goes wrong? Are there any forecasts on how long Merc will build/support the SJ?

I guess that's why I am still leaning to an OB. I know the fuel usage goes way up, but heck, re-powering is as easy as it gets. I guess my gamble is, all the money I spend in fuel vs. re-power costs somewhere down the road (maybe way down the road.)

Anyway - any thoughts will be appreciated. Hopefully this is at least a little different of a question for an old, probably worn out, discussion.

Oh - one more question. How about freezing? I goose hunt a lot - in freezing temps with the boat. Any differences with a SJ vs an OB when it comes to water freezing? Are they both easy to drain to prevent damage?

Thanks.

After owning several of Glens boats I would not hesitate in having the guys at WB build a SJ powered SSD, they have built many SJ powered boats in the last few years to have it down pat.

As far as the SJ longjevity goes I guess it all hinges on whether or not they can continue to meet the EPA'S= "OBAMAS" clean air regs, I believe that was what was the hang up was a couple of years back. I bet some other SJ guys may have some better info on what is instore for the SJ.
    If you wan't a stable boat thats gets up quick and folats high and rids well in the chop the SSD is the boat for you.

I'm sure an 18-20ft would work well with the SJ, or an OB Jet for that mater, with the OB you get the tunnel, the ability to raise the engine to clean out the jet or for routine maitenance. You get to pick from numerous engines with the ob and if one brand isn't your favorite after a year or two it's just a mater of unbolting it and hanging on a new one!!!!

I guess I would lean towards the OB but you now what opinions are like, "Everyone has one"

I have rode in Glens SJ XL boats and the SJ is extremely quick to steer and rides on rails especialy if TJM is at the helm, I guess I just have too many years listening to the rumble of a V8 powered boat.

A fully cammo'd out SSD would look great. Good luck on your search.

Quote Originally Posted by DelawareRiver View Post

OK,

Thanks.
    Phantom who has been installing SJ over a decade just completed an Avenger 78" bottom using the SJ as your considering for a larger boat. You can see the boat on their Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/pages/Phanto...55770674465251 It's the bright yellow boat. The boat performed well but lost some top end speed from a typical 72" Sportjon which typically tops out in mid to lower 40's. The avenger topped out at 39mph. At 4,000rpms it ran 22mph and 30mph @ 4500. These are pretty much dry boat numbers so you can expect speed to drop with additional load but the wider bottom should help to carry the load better. Expect 6gph at 4000, and ~9gph at 4500. If your looking to haul heavy loads I'd recommend the hamilton or American Turbine that pumps more water volume behind a gas or diesel powerplant.

Hopefully this answers your question concerning how the SJ will perform in a larger boat.

DelawareRiver....

Talking to someone about the topic might get you a lot more info concerning the pro's and con's

Feel free to call me anytime if I can be any help.....907*441*5168

tjm
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....