Is this what the forum has become?
Is this what the forum has become?
"Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone."
The KeenEye MD
I think the term once used was:
"Miscreants"......yeah that was it!!!
"96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
Forum, no. My wife and I.... maybe.
The OP is nonsense. What are you saying, Doc? That your arguments are "cute"? Mine? Nerka's? Gf's?
Now I don't care for how some go about presenting and defending their points of view, and some obviously don't care for mine. That's beside the point . . unfortunate, maybe, but beside the point.
The point is that we all take our positions quite seriously, Doc included. That some here think the other guy's argument is "cute" is, well, unfortunate but not the point.
*sayak: You and your wife —"maybe"? Me and my wife —"sometimes."
I would have to agree with you. way to many pizzing matches.
Speaking generally about the state of the forum... it does seem to me, like kgpcr says, that instead of discussion, dialogue, contribution, curiosity, and a measure of respect... more threads than ever degenerate into... well, degenerate.
There sure were similarities in your clip to some threads. The line that struck me, fishNphysician, is this one: "I four!". Now, there's an idea. A rating system, along the lines of the reputation system, where anyone reading along on a thread, could rate the behavior ... no, never mind. That wouldn't work would it?
I think Marcus is correct that most of the most outspoken players on these forums, the management forums especially, "take their positions quite seriously". And most of them are quite set in their opinion. Among these persons, neither side is going to change the mind of the other. Nothing wrong with that, and those who read these threads, most of whom are not members, undoubtedly learn things and form or change opinions based on what they read here, and elsewhere. I certainly do. I greatly appreciate the wisdom of Doc, Twodux, nerka, and the like. And I learn alot from reading their comments. That's great. Problem is that some of the primary players in these discussions become so accustomed to their own little long running adversarial debates, that they become exclusionary of any newcomer who might try to speak up and interject an opinion or idea. This is especially true of the ones who adopt (or perhaps were born with) the "I've lived here all my life, and I know more than you, regardless of your training or experience" attitude; even when it's glaringly apparent to the casual passerby that said person is simply totally full of......himself. The condescending, holier than thou, "I'm four!", bullying, a la Don Young attitude, is what drives people away from the discussion and leaves the forum dysfunctional. And that's everyone's loss.
He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
Sorry but I found that video clip to be hilarious. As father of two boys, I can relate to the experience. My wife and I taught our kids not to "communicate" like those two, but they don't always listen to dear ole' Mom and Dad either.
Occasionally there are times when some topics on this forum degenerate into shouting matches, but when that happens, I move on to other things. At some point, the topic cools off, the subject moves on, and another issue arises. At that point, I might jump back in. But unless someone really wants to immerse themselves in this BB 24/7 (heaven forbid!), it's not worth getting all worked up about.
Wrong or right, that is one funny post. Thanks for sharing Physician.
I think I get your point,but it seems like others are reading something into it. There is a lot of good information here, and I come to this particular forum more to learn than to talk. Often there is an interesting topic, and I may read a bit and then it decays into a back and forth argument between 2-4 posters. I look at the page count and when it is high, I will just move along to another thread.
2009 Seawolf 31'
There are some harsh comment and some of you guys hurt my feelings.......