Thread: Question about rebarreling a model 700 and model 70

Default Question about rebarreling a model 700 and model 70

Hi,

I shoot left hand and have a Winchester model 70 classic stainless in left hand that is currently chambered for 7mm, I would like to re-barrel to a 300, my question is, since this gun is a left hand gun, could I use a take off barrel from a right hand gun, I don't know if there is a difference between the left hand and right hand barrels. I have the same question regarding the Remington model 700.
    If I can use barrels off of right hand guns where would be the best place to try to locate barrels?

Thanks

Robert

You can use RH barrels on left hand guns, however the markings will come up upside down and under the wood line of the stock, because the extractor cut in the barrel will have to be indexed 180 degrees out from normal. Remingtons will be easier to use because they don't have an indexed extractor cut in the barrel. Any takeoff will probably have to be set back a turn and/or have the chamber recut to headspace correctly to the new action. Gunbroker and gunparts corp. are good resources for takeoffs. Buyer beware.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Default Indexing?

Is the indexing for RH & LH Winchester 70s different - i.e. 180 deg out - or is the extractor cut just on the different side?

Of course on 700s it really doesn't matter.

There are lots of 70 RH SS barrels floating around; I've got one in .300 Win Mag I pulled off mine to make a .375 H&H.

Quote Originally Posted by gunbugs View Post
    You can use RH barrels on left hand guns, however the markings will come up upside down and under the wood line of the stock, because the extractor cut in the barrel will have to be indexed 180 degrees out from normal. Remingtons will be easier to use because they don't have an indexed extractor cut in the barrel. Any takeoff will probably have to be set back a turn and/or have the chamber recut to headspace correctly to the new action. Gunbroker and gunparts corp. are good resources for takeoffs. Buyer beware.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK